For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Homebee

UPDATE 09/01 confirmed

In 1/24th scale

- ref. A17001 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc - thread: https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-a17001

RUMOURS only, not your wishlists !

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/news/2021-airfix-retrospective

" Range launch 2022

No sooner are we closing the curtains on another busy year for Airfix, that we have to make you aware of a rather important date in our new year calendar - the launch of our 2022 model range. Arguably the most important day in our entire year, the entire Airfix team, along with the on-line team, our product photographers, retouchers and many other people have all been fully engaged in this massive project for several months now and we are excited to unleash our latest product range on the modelling world very soon.

A time of great excitement for anyone interested in the modelling hobby, everyone will be keen to see which new model tooling announcements will be joining the range next year and indeed if it is the subject matter you had personally been hoping for. A huge undertaking for our on-line team, the launch date for the next Airfix range has been set for 4pm on Monday 10th January, so once we have enjoyed a relaxing and feature packed Christmas holiday, we have the excitement of an Airfix model range to shepherd us into the new year. Save the date, set your phone alarms and clear the decks, a new collection of Airfix models are coming! "

80938.jpg

voyante-marginal-magnifique-boule-de-cri

Most consistent rumours:

In 1/48th scale

- new boxing de Havilland Chipmunk

- new variant de Havilland Vampire FB.5/FB.9

- new variant Sabre F.Mk.6

In 1/72nd scale

- new boxing H.P. Victor

- new tool BAC Jaguar GR.1/.3

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

• Homebee changed the title to For your agenda - Monday 10th January - 4.PM - Airfix 2022 range launch

Every time this gets announced, I'm a year older and a year wiser.

Yet I'm still much too excited and in a way I like the suspense of the announcement and the inevitable crash of the Airfix website whilst we all descend to find out which models will cause us to part with our cash! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

35 minutes ago, Homebee said:

the entire Airfix team, along with the on-line team, our product photographers, retouchers and many other people have all been fully engaged in this massive project for several months now

Retouchers? I'd rather not think what they've been up to. Okay, I couldn't stop myself - "Panel lines are too big and the nose shape is too round? Let me fire up my workstation and I'll make short work of that!!!"

John

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Every time this gets announced, I'm a year older and a year wiser.

Yet I'm still much too excited and in a way I like the suspense of the announcement and the inevitable crash of the Airfix website whilst we all descend to find out which models will cause us to part with our cash! 

And every year I end up marveling at kits that I won't be buying anytime soon. Still haven't gotten around to the Beaufort, the Tempest isn't even released yet...but my excitement for the 2022 range launch is unbroken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There was a post on their Twitter feed a few weeks back, November perhaps, thanking the staff at RAF Cosford for their time after visiting the base and touring the various airframes in the hangers, Jags/Tornados etc used for technical training. There was a photo of a GR4 in the post also.🤔

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

Is that a 1/24 glass nose Mosquito release tease I see?

My first reaction was, "That'd be a mighty big model." But doing a bit of research I discovered it's not a whole lot longer than a 1/24 Hellcat, so you just might get your wish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, One 48 said:

Is that a 1/24 glass nose Mosquito release tease I see?

Hi

maybe a 1:24  two stage mossie using the recent info gained in the 1:72 release ? 

cheers J 

New tooling is very welcome but.... I'm also interested in the Classic re-issues. SRN.4 kits are going for silly money....

Sushi the Supercat tells me that Airfix designers have been heard considering a 1/24 R.100 airship for the WOW! factor with possible government backing to remind everybody of the Good Old Days. As this news comes through the Feline Intelligence Network it must be right. Apparently there will be a 1/144 Pitts S.2 as well after somebody commented that if the airship went ahead they might as well do that too.🤔

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

There will be Falklands Conflict 40th anniversary releases for sure, guessing late spring.

Vulcan B.2 and Victor K.2 'Black Buck', Sea Harrier FRS.1, Harrier GR.3, Skyhawk, Chinook, maybe the Canberra B.62.

Would be nice to see the Pucara, Scout and Gazelle reissued.

Would be fantastic if the next 1:24 release was a jet, been a long time coming.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

maybe a 1:24  two stage mossie using the recent info gained in the 1:72 release ? 

cheers J 

Let's hope not, unless they correct all the errors first.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 71chally said:

There will be Falklands Conflict 40th anniversary releases for sure, guessing late spring.

Vulcan B.2 and Victor K.2 'Black Buck', Sea Harrier FRS.1, Harrier GR.3, Skyhawk, Chinook, maybe the Canberra B.62.

Would be nice to see the Pucara, Scout and Gazelle reissued.

Would be fantastic if the next 1:24 release was a jet, been a long time coming.

An Me262 I reckon would be a fantastically successful release for Airfix in 1/24th.  They could even release it as a 'Dogfight Double' with their Mosquito.  Imagine the size of THAT box.

• Like 3

Bearing in mind their RAF and USAAF bomber support sets and that, apparently, all three V-Bombers will be available next year it will be interesting to see whether a V-Bomber support set is on the cards.

• Like 6

Back to rumours, we have heard on the Airfix 2022 chat thread that there is a predictable 1/72 kit and a 1/48 kit that's a bit unexpected.

I hope the 1/72 is a Manchester, Sea Vixen or Javelin. I think the 1/48 will be an Anson (that's not just wishlisting, I don't particularly want to build an Anson)

I'm aware of two new tools - one in 1/72 is fairly predictable, the one in 1/48 is not (in MY opinion!) in three weeks time the public will vote with their pre-order wallets.

We know the Victor is coming back for certain. It is unclear if this will be a standalone release, part of a box set with a Vulcan and a Valiant, or both.

On the Airfix website blog they talk about the scheme for XL512 from the original issue of the kit, it would be disappointing to see a straight reissue rather than the inclusion of new schemes, but the aftermarket scene more than has you covered for 1/72 Victors. 

We can also say with a high degree of certainly that Airfix have planned for a Black Buck Vulcan. There are clear indications on the first issue of the kit that it will be coming sooner or later. While I don't think Airfix tool subjects to coincide with specific anniversaries, I wouldn't be surprised if they take advantage of the Falklands 40th anniversary since they are obviously planning the kit anyway. 

If they do this, it suggests to me that the Victor may be a K2 including a Falkands scheme.

I think the predictions of so many Falkands subjects may be incorrect or exaggerated from what we will actually see, but at least the Victor and Vulcan I do expect for the reasons above.

We can be pretty sure that there will be vintage reissues. This is very much based on what moulds are still around in a decent condition. I don't think we can accurately predict these, but it would be nice to see the early Do17 kit with modern decals.

But even more certain that all of these predictions, is that we will have cries of "it's the wrong scale!", "it's the wrong variant!" and "not another [insert popular aircraft here]!".

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1600 on Monday 11 January over there is 0300 AEDST on Tuesday over here, so I'm not going to bother. I'll wait until the tumult and the shouting has died, then catch up with the news here on Britmodeller, after breakfast. I suspect I'll be underwhelmed ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm not sure if it got mentioned on the other thread but the Vintage F-80C Box art was on the Calendar that came with the Airfix magazine. It's a lovely kit for it's age and would be a welcome release I'm sure.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, wombat said:

What’s the usual lag between announcing and availability? We’re talking 2023 aren’t we?

Actually barring the 1/72 Tempest and reboxed Sea Harrier kits, I think most of all the other 2021 announcements actually hit the Hobby stores shelves this year. Seems like their design and development might be speeding up a little, now bring production back to the UK and this lag will reduce even further. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Ok so might be a bit out there but a new tool Tucano would be nice, maybe even the unexpected 1:48?

We know Airfix like their trainers JP, Chippie, Gnat so it would fit, the current tooling is old now.  There was an Aerodrome article from Linton over 2yrs ago when the mighty Tuc was retiring.

Ok so maybe i'm just hoping so as i don't have to put on some big boy pants to tackle the Alleycat 1:48 resin Tucano i have in the stash

• Like 4