Following the success of the Hunter, Hawker designed the supersonic P1121 which was substantially larger. The first aircraft was under construction when the project was cancelled but the forward fuselage has survived and is in storage at RAF Cosford.

Despite the size the kit was easy to build and I finished it in a pale green scheme similar to the Hunter prototype.

a9db326a-6455-4815-83e5-38cd33a74180.JPG
b8103f42-5104-41bd-bd6f-338d02733fa7.JPG
d2713af8-4df6-4cdb-995f-2109045a939b.JPG
e5d34d9a-1fc4-4286-ac79-b8ce4fa1e3b2.JPG
75e45337-98e8-4748-b64b-c967da32db63.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 52

Thanks everyone.

17 hours ago, Linus said:

All very nice, what color did you use?

Gunze H31 White Green after checking lots of alternatives it seemed about right.

14 hours ago, Mr T said:

Very nice, not a bad kit although the plastic on the bottom of fuselage was very thin on mine. Posted on here somewhere. 

Luckily mine was fine with fairly thick plastic everywhere. I remember seeing yours - very nicely done.

11 hours ago, David Womby said:

Love it.  What a step up it would have been from the Hunter.

David

Such a shame it didn't get flown and into production, I don't think it would have been as successful as the Hunter though.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BritJet said:

Thanks everyone.

Gunze H31 White Green after checking lots of alternatives it seemed about right.

Luckily mine was fine with fairly thick plastic everywhere. I remember seeing yours - very nicely done.

Such a shame it didn't get flown and into production, I don't think it would have been as successful as the Hunter though.

Steve

Thank you Steve, i will go to buy H31gunze.!!!! Linus

24 minutes ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on a fine project looks great .

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Linus said:

Thank you Steve, i will go to buy H31gunze.!!!! Linus

No problem, you're welcome.

Steve

• Like 1

Wow, nice job Steve! I do enjoy seeing pre-Defence White Paper designs in model form, especially when they're so well done.

On 12/22/2021 at 10:49 AM, BritJet said:

the forward fuselage has survived and is in storage at RAF Cosford.

I had no idea! That's great to hear.

Thanks everyone.

On 01/01/2022 at 09:48, John R said:

Looks like the Hunter's bit brother! Nice one, Steve

John

It's a fair bit bigger than a Hunter, I should've done a photo of it next to one to show the size.

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I like the look of that. Long been a kit I've "meant" to get but never did, with Whirlybird  shutting up shop, unlikely now to happen, I'll just enjoy your's. :) 

Steve.

There's also the S+M kit if you can find one or if you're quick there's still time to get one from Whirlybird.

12 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Wow, nice job Steve! I do enjoy seeing pre-Defence White Paper designs in model form, especially when they're so well done.

I had no idea! That's great to hear.

There are a couple of photos of the cockpit and mid-section here - https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-aviation/41766-raf-museum-cosford-hidden-treasures It would be good to see it on display with the other prototypes at Cosford.

Steve

• Like 2

20 hours ago, John R said:

Sorry Steve, I meant to say the Hunter's BIG brother (not bit)

I knew what you meant! That's why I don't use predictive text on my phone - at least the mistakes are my own that way.....

10 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I feel very silly - as soon as I saw the pic I remembered I'd read that Key Forum post before! Shows how brilliant my memory is...

I've done the same lots of times so you're not alone with that.

Steve

• Thanks 1