Inspired by the German WW2 Bachem Natter, the Fairey Delta was originally designed to take off vertically from a ramp as an interceptor. This idea was quite sensibly dropped and it was used for delta wing research and was the first British delta.

A nice simple vacform with a few metal parts for the undercarriage. Painted with Alclad and finished with home made decals.

b853298a-e830-4317-a38b-dc2ce270c330.JPG
bec29e1c-4aff-4379-802e-3602c24810a4.JPG
3d20a87a-339d-4c14-bf9d-0d3b1cc38aa9.JPG
9ee204a1-851b-4054-ba91-59b1435c4fd7.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 33

It's not the best looking aircraft but I've always wanted to model it. The Project X range saved me so much scratchbuilding!  I never got any of the Olimp kits as I'd got the Project X versions already.

Steve

Cheers.

16 hours ago, Linus said:

Wow my first vac-form, super job BritJet!!

A good choice as your first vacform as it's a nice simple kit. Shame the kit decals are the rubbish Pressfix type - mine went in the bin!#

Steve 

Thanks.

There aren't many vacforms still available as resin and short-run injection kits have taken over. They do help you to develop lots of new skills that are useful for other kits and aren't difficult to build, just different! Most of the old Project-X kits, including the Fairey Delta are available from http://www.whirlybirdmodels.com/docs/pricelist.pdf but if you want any of their stuff be quick as they are retiring next month.

Steve

Cheers.

On 24/12/2021 at 19:52, Mike N said:

Nice build, and posing the figure next to it shows just how small a plane it was!

Mike 

It is very tiny and my initial photos didn't show the size, adding the figure made the difference.

On 25/12/2021 at 19:17, Chris Royle said:

Fairey's test pilot Peter Twiss described the aircraft as a "nasty little box"

I suppose the initial concept for a last-ditch interceptor with little prospect of coming back meant that most of them wouldn't be needed for a second flight! It does look like it would be a handful to fly even for an experienced pilot.

Steve