HMS King George V - Tamiya 1/350

Boydie

1 minute ago, robgizlu said:

Those metal barrels always make a huge difference.  Nice work

Rob

Agreed, the barrels in the kit are just soild bits of plastic. Could of drilled them out but metal barrels are Gucci. 😁

On 1/1/2022 at 5:16 PM, beefy66 said:

They are what is known as Gash chutes for throwing rubbish over the side not very Eco friendly in those days.

Like what you are doing with this so far.  👍

Stay Safe and Best Wishes for 2022

beefy

Not so much plastic rubbish then though 😉 😁

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Boydie said:

The plating was a new thing for me, I usually aim to build newer kits with nicer molds; better detail, that me being lazy and not wanting to modify the kits too much. 😁 

But these Tamiya KGV's kits I've always wanted to build since I was a kid. I dunno how much detail I want to add to it just yet. But anything that is easily noticeable I aim to add it in. This kit I'm building is more a test run for another Tamiya KGV I've got but with the Duke of York Pontos upgrade set.

The plating is easy to do if you take your time and careful with the masking off. The plastic hull isn't 100% true to the real thing so I've masked up the plating to roughly how it should look, I've made sure that the lines looks natural to the ship and straight, I think I got that anyway. 

To build up the plating I've used a spray can primer from Halfords, I dunno if you're from the UK but it's primer for a car's plastic bodywork panels. It's actually quite good primer for models too. Since the hull is quite big the spray can makes it easier for me personally to apply even coats to the hull quickly compared to an airbrush. From what I remember I gave the hull five coats of primer, each coat getting a few hours to dry before the next was added. 

Before I peeled off the mask I lightly wet sanded the whole hull, this helps reduce damaging the armour plating when removing the masking tape.

As for the PE on the hull you'll find this easy too. Most of the PE for the hull such as the rigol and porthole caps only needs cut off cleanly and then applied to the model. A tiny dap of slow drying super glue and I lift the PE with a china pencil (a great tool to have, PE sticks to it nicely) onto the hull, then finish moving it about to the correct position with my hobby knife. The hatches only need one or two simple folds with a straight edge, so those are no bother at all.

These ones I haven't used yet are from White Ensign Models, I bought them recently from their website. 

PE sets

PE sets

These other brands I bought on eBay, from what I remember they came quite quickly from China and South Korea. You'll notice some of them say IJN, but for porthole caps and rigol does it really matter? 🤨

PE sets

PE sets

PE sets PE sets

Anyway that's the wee collection I have for that sort of stuff. Looking forward to seeing you start your build. 👌

Thanks for the run down!👍🏻none of my bits have arrived yet and I have another project to finish first anyway coz I cant do two at once, but I'll be trying some of that out for sure, liking those guns too they look so much better, great stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich75 said:

Thanks for the run down!👍🏻none of my bits have arrived yet and I have another project to finish first anyway coz I cant do two at once, but I'll be trying some of that out for sure, liking those guns too they look so much better, great stuff

What extras have you bought?

I have the Eduard cranes, boats, radar and all the various deck,weapons and radar parts,probably too much, master gun barrels 14" & 5.25" and a wooden deck, I thought in for a penny...we'll see how it goes😯

• Like 2

On 05/01/2022 at 10:05, Rich75 said:

I have the Eduard cranes, boats, radar and all the various deck,weapons and radar parts,probably too much, master gun barrels 14" & 5.25" and a wooden deck, I thought in for a penny...we'll see how it goes😯

Plenty to keep you busy then. :)

• Thanks 1

I've got another question I hope someone can help me out with. In this photo chain is wrapped around the bow. There is a purpose to this but I've forgotten what it's for and it's been bothering me for two days. Can someone help me out? 

d19bc3e2-9df6-4244-8d0b-85c8f5c4d5b7

Makes me question  adding  the PE railings in kits at 1/350 or  1/700 scale  as  I dont think  from viewing range they would be seen  - and they are over scale anyway.

Erk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boydie said:

I've got another question I hope someone can help me out with. In this photo chain is wrapped around the bow. There is a purpose to this but I've forgotten what it's for and it's been bothering me for two days. Can someone help me out? 

d19bc3e2-9df6-4244-8d0b-85c8f5c4d5b7

Think have to do with paravane/mine clearance equipment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, olavhome@online,no said:

Think have to do with paravane/mine clearance equipment.

That's right paravane chains, totally slipped my mind, thank you. Now to try and replicate it without it looking over scaled...

Edited by Boydie

3 hours ago, ERK said:

Makes me question  adding  the PE railings in kits at 1/350 or  1/700 scale  as  I dont think  from viewing range they would be seen  - and they are over scale anyway.

Erk.

I think you're probably right that they are over scaled and mostly likely wouldn't be seen at this scale. But I do think that it finishes off a model nicely. 

• Like 3

I've got four days off so I thought I'd start a few sub assemblies for a quick nights work, and ready for PE. First thing was to drill out the portholes once again. The square windows I haven't decided to drill out yet, still to think of a clean way of doing that. Also the watertight doors detail will be removed for PE.

Quick nights work

As you can see I've been quite heavy with the filler putty, the kit left some horrible visual joints. I'll let that dry overnight and sand it. But if I'm still not happy with it I've got 0.5mm polystyrene sheet I can cut to size and sand down to 0.1mm to hide those joints. Fingers crossed anyway.

Dry fitted these parts to the hull, taking shape but still a long way to go. 

Quick nights work

Was thinking about adding LED's since I've went to the effort of drilling out the portholes, on the fence about it.

Edited by Boydie
  • Like 7

That's quite  the base she is sitting on, I contemplated lighting in one of mine atm, but in the end decided I couldn't be doing with the faff, can look very good when done well though

Re the square openings, the only way I found on my Dunkerque build was to use a drill bit slightly smaller and then carefully open it out with a knife, there's likely a better way though......

Great start

Sam

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

That's quite  the base she is sitting on, I contemplated lighting in one of mine atm, but in the end decided I couldn't be doing with the faff, can look very good when done well though

Re the square openings, the only way I found on my Dunkerque build was to use a drill bit slightly smaller and then carefully open it out with a knife, there's likely a better way though......

Great start

Sam

Do you like the base honestly? 🤣 I've got plenty of basswood blocks and thought any old bit would do just now, still got to sand it down to a smooth cuboid and treat it. But I'm open to suggestions. Handy for handing the model just now anyway and won't blow over easily. 🌬️

The only problem I have with the LED's is the colour of light it gives off, it's a very white light if you know what I mean, I'd need to dull it down somehow.

Also cheers for the tip, I'll be trying it out. I've got some mirco drill bits which go all the way down to 0.1mm, so I can get those slotted windows too.

A good solid base is handy while building for sure, I've not done that previously the n had to dive like a goalie trying to catch the model before it does over the edge of the desk after I've knocked it, 

For rhe leds I looked at https://www.componentshop.co.uk/

As they have a host of different types and sizes including warmer (more yellowy) white which I think would look more in keeping with the time, 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boydie said:

Was thinking about adding LED's since I've went to the effort of drilling out the portholes, on the fence about it.

You're probably already aware, but the ship would have adhered to strict blackout protocols during war time. Post war would have been different though.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 08:11, Boydie said:

I think you're probably right that they are over scaled and mostly likely wouldn't be seen at this scale. But I do think that it finishes off a model nicely. 

It’s a bit like rigging, a royal pain in the #### sometimes. But just adds that little extra.

Jon

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You're probably already aware, but the ship would have adhered to strict blackout protocols during war time. Post war would have been different though.

That's something I didn't know I have to admit, but it's seems an obvious thing to happen since you've pointed it out.

I should of clicked eariler because when I was a Marine Engineer on a container ships we would also blackout the ship when we were sailing through heavily pirated waters such as West Africa and the Straits of Malacca.

15 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Who did you work for? I spent most of my working life on box boats, ended up as C/E with Maersk 🚢 

Started off at a company called Lomar Shipping as 3/E, on container ships, nothing as big as some of those gigantic Triple E's at Maersk though, used to see those monsters a lot when I was around China. Then 2/E in the North Sea on Supply and Stand by vessels. Now I'm back on land fixing and installing production lines and robots. So quite the change for me.

I always wanted to become a C/E and did think I could do it, but that was when I was a single young man. 😅

Edited by Boydie
  • Like 1

Boydie - nice work all round.  As to the railings or absence there- of, you see ships presented without them in 1/350 and they just lack..............

As to square windows, I agree with S-boat but you can easily pick up square files that are your special friend here (eg.  https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/5pc-mini-needle-file-set-expo-tools-72535/)

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks for the recommendation @robgizlu, I think I've already got that exact set from the link you shared. I'll get around to sorting out those square windows.

I've got a short update today, I've been busy with another project, a 1:1 nursery in one of the spare bedrooms, been knocking off the old polyester ceiling tiles which have been glued down heavy, bit of a nightmare honestly, ceiling is gonna need to be skimmed too.

But I have found a wee bit of time to carry on with the kit. I battered on with the super structure, getting some PE on it.

PE aft

This is my first 1/350 and I'm actually enjoying the PE for a change, I'm used to handling 1/700 so the practice with that tiny scale is helping me now. Aim was to get the portholes, watertight doors and ladder glued on.

PE aft

Happy with it so far, wish I had a bit more time today to bash on with the kit but the nursery will be the priority until it's finished. Also got my delivery from Sovereign Hobbies to add to my now growing collection of colourcoats. :)

PE aft

Thanks for looking in. 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m really enjoying this - and wishing I had the guts to try a big ship. There is something about tackling such a large subject in such a small scale which makes me queasy. I’ll be following along minds’t.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GlueDad said:

I’m really enjoying this - and wishing I had the guts to try a big ship. There is something about tackling such a large subject in such a small scale which makes me queasy. I’ll be following along minds’t.

Thank you, no harm in trying it out mate. Plenty of great ship modelers on here who can give you advice if it's needed.👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a wee bit of work today, got the other side of the superstructure PE on but to my surprise my knife snapped while cutting the PE and if I wasn't wearing my glasses then it would ended up in my eye, lucky escape there. 

Photo etch

After that scare... 😅 onto the deck above for plastic and PE. 👍

Photo etch

Got hose reels to add, but I'll be making them from copper coil from a clock, it's very tiny and should be good for a hose on a reel at this scale. 

• Like 5