HMS King George V - Tamiya 1/350

Boydie

6 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Looking very nice with all the PE. That seam is the perfect job for PPP. You don't need to sand it, just wipe it smooth with a damp cotton bud or similar. 

Ian

Thank you Ian. But what is PPP?

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Perfect Plastic Putty.

Water soluble filler. You can thin it, and wipe it off with a damp finger tip, cotton bud or whatever you like!

Ian

Never heard of it, I'll have to look into it and give it a try. Cheers. 

• 1 month later...

The plan was to have this model finished before the birth of my child. But I have failed miserably at this as the baby is only a matter of weeks away and I haven't touched the model since February.

The house I've bought past year is old and every room is needing done. Luckily I've completed downstairs but I didn't realize how much work I've taken on decorating upstairs for the nursery and our master bedroom between days off and work. Now I've started the garden and that's a whole different level of project. 😂

But I haven't gave up on the model, upstairs I've just got a new carpet to install, build a few bits of furniture and a few wee electrical jobs in the master bedroom and then fingers crossed, I can restart King George. I've bought a few extra details for her and I'll be working on a case to keep the dust off. 👌

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Boydie said:

Now I've started the garden and that's a whole different level of project.

Oh Boydie, you've taken on GARDENING? I'm so sorry. House renovations I can understand considering your expected new arrival, but GARDENING? 😲 I hope you have a good therapist in your neighborhood. Oh well, if you must do these things I wish you well with them.    (But crikey, gardening)   😁

Seriously, all the best with the baby when he/she arrives.     Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Oh Boydie, you've taken on GARDENING? I'm so sorry. House renovations I can understand considering your expected new arrival, but GARDENING? 😲 I hope you have a good therapist in your neighborhood. Oh well, if you must do these things I wish you well with them.    (But crikey, gardening)   😁

Seriously, all the best with the baby when he/she arrives.     Regards, Jeff.

Trust me, I've only taken up gardening as it's essential just now. 🙃 It's quite a big garden but the previous owners decided to replace all the lawn with pebbles. So I'm lifting what must be tons of these pebbles and putting them into heavy duty gravel bags. I want to put grass down so my partner and the baby have a nice private place in the sun. But the best time to lay the grass is in Spring or Autumn so that's why I've got into gardening. 

Don't get me started on the rest of the garden though, decking - rotten, shed - rotten, pond - needs repairs. 😵💫

Also thanks Jeff, got my fingers and toes crossed everything goes fine. :)

• Like 1

Gidday Boydie, Yeah, a nice patch of lawn will be nice, but don't run the lawn mower over the pebbles or they might become airborne and do your windows no good at all. Bagging the pebbles up could be a good idea if you don't want them - others might buy them off you. All the best to your you and yours. And we can expect a photo of you all on the big day? 👍 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Boydie said:

Trust me, I've only taken up gardening as it's essential just now. 🙃 It's quite a big garden but the previous owners decided to replace all the lawn with pebbles. So I'm lifting what must be tons of these pebbles and putting them into heavy duty gravel bags. I want to put grass down so my partner and the baby have a nice private place in the sun. But the best time to lay the grass is in Spring or Autumn so that's why I've got into gardening. 

Don't get me started on the rest of the garden though, decking - rotten, shed - rotten, pond - needs repairs. 😵💫

Also thanks Jeff, got my fingers and toes crossed everything goes fine. :)

Eek. Watch out for your back, but sounds like you've already got yourself a ton of stones to put as a top layer on your pots, so win? I also replaced some of my rotten decking with stones from a previous like-minded owner.

I quite like gardening, but that's mainly because all I grow is food, even all my flowers are edible: https://www.thompson-morgan.com/edible-flowers . I heartily recommend beer to aid in your gardening appreciation.

David

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Boydie, Yeah, a nice patch of lawn will be nice, but don't run the lawn mower over the pebbles or they might become airborne and do your windows no good at all. Bagging the pebbles up could be a good idea if you don't want them - others might buy them off you. All the best to your you and yours. And we can expect a photo of you all on the big day? 👍 Regards, Jeff.

Each bag of pebbles is over 50kg each, got over 10 bags filled but I'm not even halfway in removing them. 🤮

I'll be giving them away to a friend for free for timber and railway sleepers. So that will save me a small fortune. 

6 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Eek. Watch out for your back, but sounds like you've already got yourself a ton of stones to put as a top layer on your pots, so win? I also replaced some of my rotten decking with stones from a previous like-minded owner.

I quite like gardening, but that's mainly because all I grow is food, even all my flowers are edible: https://www.thompson-morgan.com/edible-flowers . I heartily recommend beer to aid in your gardening appreciation.

David

Half the decking can be saved I think, so I'll just half the size of it as it's quite big already and lay some grass where I'll be removing it. 

As for growing plants, my girlfriend already told me she wants to grow plants to eat so I'll be making some raised beds out of railway sleepers so that will keep her happy. I'll give that link you shared a read too. 

• Like 1

Good luck with all the DIY It's hard work trying to do it all in what free time you get and all the best with the impending new arrival, sounds like  you've got your hands full for while😉 but, if you could spare any time for KGV, only I'm following your build for "tips" !! Lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, Boydie said:

Each bag of pebbles is over 50kg each, got over 10 bags filled but I'm not even halfway in removing them. 🤮

I'll be giving them away to a friend for free for timber and railway sleepers. So that will save me a small fortune. 

Half the decking can be saved I think, so I'll just half the size of it as it's quite big already and lay some grass where I'll be removing it. 

As for growing plants, my girlfriend already told me she wants to grow plants to eat so I'll be making some raised beds out of railway sleepers so that will keep her happy. I'll give that link you shared a read too. 

Have a look at those old railroad ties (what we call them here in Newfoundland) as they are often soaked in a chemical to prevent or slow rot. 

This chemical is poisonous to people, and animals, and if it gets into your edible plants, and then into your family it can be very harmful. 

Just a heads up, in case you were not aware of that. 

And happy planting for you and your family.

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since I have worked on the model, nights are getting darker and my 5 month old son is sleeping for longer at night. So that will give me the opportunity to get started again, I've been wanting to restart the build for a while, but it's been hard to find the time.

I've been back and forth on if I want to buy some mircomaster bits for it, but I've decided to finish the model with what I've got on hand, which is still quite a bit of PE. Could spend a small fortune on that website.

Edited by Boydie
  • Like 4

Hi there, it will be good to see this underway again👍🏻 I've had to talk myself out of going on the micromasters site many times, there's a lot of nice things for KGV:o hopefully I'll get going again soon too, glad the family are doing ok👍🏻 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

Hi there, it will be good to see this underway again👍🏻 I've had to talk myself out of going on the micromasters site many times, there's a lot of nice things for KGV:o hopefully I'll get going again soon too, glad the family are doing ok👍🏻 

Yeah thanks for that, out of interest I actually priced up if I was to go 'all out'/ 'pimp out' on another KGV with mircomasters, it was in excess of £400. 💀 My partner wouldn't be too impressed. 😂

Quite happy to torture myself with tiny PE and search for hours in and around the carpet monster. 🙂

Your build is looking great so far btw👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Boydie said:

I actually priced up if I was to go 'all out'/ 'pimp out' on another KGV with mircomasters, it was in excess of £400. 💀 My partner wouldn't be too impressed. 😂

Yes but just think how good it would be, little bits at a time...!:poke:

😃

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Best to get the ball rolling once again, need to start somewhere so I started gluing PE on the super structure. I had already done this but drilled out the portholes and glued more detail onto it, same with the watertight doors. 

Work progress Work progress

Still got plenty of PE to add here. Tried the the perfect plastic putty on the gap on the super structure. Just added a tiny amount as I've never used it before. But it looks like it has potential, I'll just need to keep adding and sanding more until that gap is gone.

One thing I like to do is dive deep into the world of AliExpress, you can find quite a lot of interesting things for modelling if you look hard enough. I found these SS model resin 1/350 40mm Bofors dirt cheap on the website with free postage. Thought why not they'll be great for the model, bought them and a few weeks later they arrived. I think they look quite good!

Work progress

Work progress Work progress

Work progress

The only fiddly bit will be those tiny 40mm brass barrels, but for only a few dollars that's not a problem for me. 

• Like 9

The next deck of the superstructure was worked on, I almost skipped the detail by accident as I want to get some paint down at some point. But as you can see the detail is pretty bare.

Wip

I've got a few reference photos and the obvious details missing are the watertight doors and portholes. Roughly marked out where I want to put everything and started drilling holes and adding PE.

Wip Wip

Doesn't look much has been done but honestly it took me a wee while to do all of that. I must be rusty from the lack of model making recently. 😂 

But I do think all this extra effort will pay off for my own satisfaction anyway.

Wip

I'll be probably scratch building range finders and other bridge equipment as the kit doesn't seem to have anything.

Progress will be slow as this is my first 1/350 and there is quite a bit still to do, I can see why people can burn out on building ships as you can really get into the really tiny details of the ship and there's 100's of it. But I've never had the problem as of it. Enjoying the build. 👍

Edited by Boydie
  • Like 10

Looking good mate, just a heads up I got some bridge equipment from North star, not to pricey maybe worth a look? Glad to see this back in progress 👍🏻 have you attached the hangar deck to the forward structure? I see you have the ladders on so I'm wondering if I should do the same, nice work 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Looking good mate, just a heads up I got some bridge equipment from North star, not to pricey maybe worth a look? Glad to see this back in progress 👍🏻 have you attached the hangar deck to the forward structure? I see you have the ladders on so I'm wondering if I should do the same, nice work 

Where did you buy it from? I can't actually find it in stock on their website. 

As for the hanger deck I'll eventually get to it, I think the PE set I have requires me to cut off a few bits from memory.

Hi there, I don't know if they have them in stock as such more maybe print to order, they do take some time but try this

https://northstarmodels.com/product/1-350-3d-printed-royal-navy-bridge-equipment/   that's what I used, hth

Sorry what i meant before was in your picture above I can see the ladder from the shelter deck up to the hangar deck, I wondered if you have fixed the two together, I guess you have....!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rich75 said:

Hi there, I don't know if they have them in stock as such more maybe print to order, they do take some time but try this

https://northstarmodels.com/product/1-350-3d-printed-royal-navy-bridge-equipment/   that's what I used, hth

Sorry what i meant before was in your picture above I can see the ladder from the shelter deck up to the hangar deck, I wondered if you have fixed the two together, I guess you have....!

Ah thanks! Somehow I've missed the add the cart button and only seen make an enquiry!

Ah I see what you mean, yeah I've joined them together to get rid of a gap between the two plastic parts, the rest of it is dry fitted just now. How are you getting on with your KGV?

56 minutes ago, Boydie said:

Ah thanks! Somehow I've missed the add the cart button and only seen make an enquiry!

Ah I see what you mean, yeah I've joined them together to get rid of a gap between the two plastic parts, the rest of it is dry fitted just now. How are you getting on with your KGV?

Well, I have had to take a break from it as I have had loads of decorating to do at home, getting near the end now and the upside is I have a room for modelling now so can't complain, I'll get a desk and some shelving then I can airbrush in there and all sorts so should be good, I am missing it though as it was taking shape quite nicely, not to long hopefully thanks for asking👍🏻

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 12:34, robgizlu said:

Nice detailing on the Bridge Superstructure.  FWIW Black Cat do some Compass binnacles and a Pylorus in Their Deck accessories set No 1 which Starling may have (cheaper delivery)

Rob

Cheers something to look out for!