Viscount with a difference - jet engines

This started as the RugRatResins Viscount 700 and the fuselage had to be shortened in the wing root area and the wingspan reduced at the wing root. I made a master for the engine nacelles and vacformed the left and right halves. New main undercarriage was scratchbuilt and consists of two legs either side of each jetpipe. Painted with Alclad and dulled down a bit with a clear coat, the decals were drawn in CorelDraw and printed at home. 

4e665239-f35e-469b-8bd7-c40038056785.JPG9
e3318eea-a26f-428e-9d08-8e79835df558.JPG
693de31a-b6c2-4bd8-9f77-6118bad3057b.JPG
5ba033f6-ea66-41db-b245-3b90767f13cd.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 57
  • Thanks 3

Amazing looking plane - was this only a prototype or did it go further in production?

The conversion work, which looks extensive and tricky, has turned out brilliantly.

Congratulations!

:clap2::clap2:

Thanks all for the kind comments.

On 22/12/2021 at 03:00, kapam said:

Amazing looking plane - was this only a prototype or did it go further in production?

The conversion work, which looks extensive and tricky, has turned out brilliantly.

Congratulations!

:clap2::clap2:

It was just a one-off prototype to get jet experience for forthcoming airliners. Later used for fly by wire trials until scrapped when of no further use.

Steve

Great scratchbuilding there Steve, I have been after this kit for ages but as usual they are like hens teeth. On the up side, you have shown me a new pathway in which to move forward..👍

Can you slow down though, your building everything I want to build...🤪, no seriously, carry on, it is nice to see them represented.

Cheers.

On 25/12/2021 at 10:37, Head in the clouds. said:

Great scratchbuilding there Steve, I have been after this kit for ages but as usual they are like hens teeth. On the up side, you have shown me a new pathway in which to move forward..👍

Can you slow down though, your building everything I want to build...🤪, no seriously, carry on, it is nice to see them represented.

If you can't get the RugRat kit then see if you can find the old Airways vacform - avoid the Mach2 kit as the wing section is upside down and the nose/cockpit look wrong.

I have had a busy year but will try to leave a few builds for you to do!

Steve

• Haha 1

Cheers.

On 29/12/2021 at 13:49, Wulfman said:

A beautiful build and conversion on a very basic kit !

Wulfman

It's not too basic and had a good shape to it. It comes with a lot of etched brass - a most of it goes in the cockpit and can't be seen and nearly all of the rest is for the main landing gear which I didn't need to use!

Steve

• 1 year later...

Cheers. Well spotted it is exactly that, an old Merlin Models Vampire T11 fuselage that was put out of its misery once the lovely Airfix one was available.

Steve

• Like 1