CKW's 2021 efforts

ckw

The year did not start well ... 3 builds consigned to the shelf of doom for various reasons. I do hope to recover them later. Desperately seeking some success, I looked for the easiest to build model in my stash and came up with this ...

p3972303334-5.jpg

Zevezda Yaks 3 1/72.  Although this is one of their snap fit kits, I was surprised at the quality and level of detail. Would put some other "proper" kits to shame.

Confidence slightly restored, I moved on to something a little more challenging

spacer.png

RS Models Arado Ar 66c 1/72nd - nice simple rigging on this type. Presented no real problems, but the tail struts needed replacing with brass rod to fit.

spacer.png

Hobby 2000 Junkers Ju 87 D-1 1/72. I'm a big fan of Hobby 2000 boxing up good quality older kits (in this case Fuijmi) with new, quality decals at a decent price. Good value for money

spacer.png

Hasegawa Yokosuka P1Y1 Ginga (Frances) 1/72.  Typical Hasegawa, not much more to say except I got it for a great price on Amazon so couldn't say no.

spacer.png

Airfix Vickers Wellington GR Mk.VIII 1/72nd - spent too much time on the interior which is effectively invisible. To be fair, Airfix do warn you of that in the instructions. I was attracted by the less common colour scheme.

Having got a bit of confidence back, I felt up to a challenge ....spacer.png

Valom Bristol Bombay Mk. 1 1/72 - having read scary things about Valom kits, I was expecting the worse, but while nearly every step presented a little problem, none were too difficult to overcome. Certainly not put off further Valoms

p3972298863-5.jpg

Hasegawa Kawanishi H8K2 Type 2 (Emily) 1/72 This is the new tool which I got for a bargain price on Amazon a while back. Goes together very nicely. Only problem was the size made painting a bit of a challenge. One thing I didn't like was the wing walkway decals are printed on one large decal for each wing. As I was pretty sure silvering was bound to occur somewhere, I painted these instead.

spacer.png

Italeri Lockheed P-38J Lightning 1/72nd Having waited in vain for Tamiya to release their P-38 in 1/72 I opted for the new Italeri kit which is based on the Academy kit not the evil Dragon one. The colour scheme intrigued me, so I consulted the BM hive mind 

Not sure we came to a definite conclusion, but I believe the scheme was possible as a 'one off'. Overall a nice kit - added some detailing for the open cockpit and a little surgery to produce the drop down side windows. The kit provides spoked wheels, but the photos I found of Miss Ann had solid covers, so these were added.

spacer.png

Italeri Messerschmitt Me 210 A-1 1/72  - didn't like the way the kit canopy was split down the middle, couldn't find a vacform replacement so somehow convinced myself that cutting the kit canopy up and displaying it open would be a good idea. Worked reasonably well, but meant adding a bit more detail to the interior.

spacer.png

Italeri Fiat CR.42 Falco 1/72. Biplane and Italian camo - just asking for trouble. First attempt at spraying camo freehand. So that I had a chance of correcting inevitable mistakes, I used Colourcoats enamel, but sprayed a coat of Klear/Future after each colour. That way if I mis-sprayed or splattered (which I did far too many times) I could quickly wipe off the mistake with a thinner dampened cotton bud without damaging the previous colour. It worked. Eventually. I also found drawing the camo outlines with watercolour pencils of a similar shade helpful. Looking at it now, the splotches seem a bit over scale - yet the shape and position corresponds more or less to the kit plan. My only regret was using the kit instrument panel decal - it is much more visible than I expected at this size and looks very much like a basic decal.

p3972297125-5.jpg

Revell Handley Page Halifax B.Mk.III 1/72nd - not much to say. Decent kit, caused no problems.

p3972296567-5.jpg

Airfix Bristol Beaufort Mk.1 1/72 - this one seemed to fight me at many points, though there's nothing really wrong with it,  as did the paint for some reason. This one nearly ended my year as it began with a trip to the shelf of doom. 

Time for a break.

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 19

• 2 months later...