A Buccaneer S.1 from bits - New photos added March 2022

Buccaneer S.1

700Z Naval Air Squadron, RNAS Lossiemouth, 1961

IMG_6725

Having finished the beautiful recent Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer S.2 I was left with all kinds of bits and pieces designed to turn the old Airfix 1/72 kit into something decent so I thought I may as well use them up on the old kit. The result was this pre-production, or very early production – not sure which – Buccaneer S.1. This is something I’ve always wanted to build but never got around to it as there was always another S.2 to do using my old Airfix kits. This is what I was aiming for:

XK532

I wanted to keep the natural fibreglass panel on the fin which XK532 originally had – just visible in this photo (the farthest aircraft):

Scan

This was a fairly major rebuild of the old Airfix kit which included (from front to back):

-        Freightdog resin nose (a must have item for any Buccaneer)

-        Whirlibirds resin S.1 main air intakes and wing root intakes (access panels scribed in and fasteners added). Fitting them was a real struggle as they were designed for the Matchbox kit:

IMG_3750

-        Cockpit interior and seats from the CMR resin S.2 kit (I bought one of these cheaply years ago then found there were too many surface bubbles and never built it – amazing instructions though) – note there was no internal blast screen for the observer in these early aircraft.

-        My own crash-moulded canopy, based on the Frog S.2 kit.

-        Aeroclub white metal undercarriage.

-        CMR resin undercarriage doors.

-        Pitot replaced with a sewing needle.

-        Wingtips cut back to S.1 shape

-        Missing vortex generators on wing top surface added – one on each wing (correctly missing on the old Airfix S.2 kit which represents a Martel capable aircraft).

-        Fin leading edge air intake removed – replaced with small side intakes on these very early aircraft only.

-        Blisters added to the bomb door

-        Anti-col light added under fuselage ahead of the bomb door.

-        Aeroclub white metal tail bumper added.

-        Freightdog resin tailplane / fin tip.

I should have modified the exhausts. They look too big but I thought I would get away with it – lesson learned.

The finish was Halford’s Appliance Gloss White for underside and fin, with Xtracrylic Extra Dark Sea Grey on top. The pale red/blue roundels, codes, underwing serials and ejection seat warnings were from a Freightdog decal sheet, with the small white serials from Modeldecal. The correct size and style ‘Royal Navy’ on the fin was difficult to find but I came across them on a Model Alliance sheet for HMS Ark Royal’s air wing.

Photos are not that brilliant (indoors in ambient light) and maybe I will replace them a) when the sun comes out and b) when it’s warm enough to mess about with outdoor photography.

IMG_6738

IMG_6737

IMG_6736

IMG_6733

IMG_6731

IMG_6729

IMG_6728

IMG_6727

IMG_6723

IMG_6819

IMG_6817

IMG_6813

IMG_6812

IMG_6810

IMG_6821

Edited by CT Modeller
  • Like 55
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Chris. I think I may have some spare decals from the CMR kit left over in my decal stash that would have helped if I had known.  Look forward to seeing this on one the 'flesh/plastic'.

Love it! This is the kind of build I like.

This Buccaneer, XK532, is one of the four surviving S.1s, currently left at the site of the now closed Highland Aviation Museum without a permanent home. I photographed her in the summer, although I wasn't able to get up close due to the site being closed. I did manage to get a few pictures up against the fence. One of my photos is currently featured here:

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/buccaneer/survivor.php?id=37

xk532---adam-poultney-20210713142727.jpg

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Love it! This is the kind of build I like.

This Buccaneer, XK532, is one of the four surviving S.1s, currently left at the site of the now closed Highland Aviation Museum without a permanent home. I photographed her in the summer, although I wasn't able to get up close due to the site being closed. I did manage to get a few pictures up against the fence. One of my photos is currently featured here:

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/buccaneer/survivor.php?id=37

xk532---adam-poultney-20210713142727.jpg

Thanks Adam. Good to see the old girl still survives. The model goes nicely with the rest of the S.1 collection :

Models - Buccaneer S.1 009

Models July 2018 018

NA39 003

• Like 5

Lovely! Beautiful build, very classy looking Bucc. 

I tried this exact same thing ages ago but it ended up in bits in a box in the loft. Just couldn’t get the intakes or jetpipes right. You’ve absolutely nailed it. 

• CT Modeller changed the title to A Buccaneer S.1 from bits - New photos added March 2022