Photo Etch Seatbelts - A Question

nheather

I usually build armour, I built a load of aircraft as a kid in the 1970s but they were always out of the box.  I have an Airfix Hurricane Mk I, I don’t want to super detail it but I want to display on the ground so I feel that I need to add seatbelts.

I appreciate that more natural looking results can be achieved using Tamiya tape and wire but I want something easy to do so am looking at Eduard photo etch but I am puzzled that they have two offerings at the same price and I’m not sure why you would pick one over the other.

The two are

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/seatbelts-raf-early-steel-1-48-1.html?listtype=search&searchparam=RAF seatbelts

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Seatbelts-RAF-WWII-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=RAF seatbelts

The second set look more complex and appear to be able to make up as two different types, but this is a totally new experience to me so I’d appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

The first set is for the early style Sutton harness and appropriate for a Spitfire and Hurricane 1 where as the second set is for the later style harness (I believe) so go for the first one.

Regards

Colin.

Ps. get yourself a good diagram of the Sutton harness and it will hopefully all become clearer, or alternatively find one of the previous threads on the subject (of which there have been a few)

• Like 1

Agreed with @fishplanebeer Colin that the early Sutton is the correct one for a Mk.I Hurricane. It also happens to be the steel version, which means it's thinner and easier to bend to shape.

Also remember that repeated bending of the belts can cause the ink/paint to flake off, so make sure of what you're doing first, and take it slowly.

The more recent the Eduard harnesses the easier they are to use. I agree with @John Laidlaw that the later steel versions are easier to bend. Try to bend them first off in one go then fit. Plan for minor adjustment is situ. No spring. Then a small amount of CA will hold.  I usually put in place after seat painting. They do come up nice and you can achieve a good level of realism in 1/48. Sorry not a Hurricane. Eduard Spitfire Sutton harness.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_58

I also prefer the PE belts with the Sutton harness for their representation of the brass eyelets on the harness straps. Not easy to convincingly represent with Tamiya tape belts and I do dabble in those occasionally:

Bronco WIP 21

Ray

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nheather said:

saying that the FE811

If it fits your budget and availability, I would actually go for FE 1015. An even later version and for the latest Airfix Hurricane.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/hurricane-mk-i-seatbelts-steel-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=1%2F48 hurricane

Ray

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

If it fits your budget and availability, I would actually go for FE 1015. An even later version and for the latest Airfix Hurricane.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/hurricane-mk-i-seatbelts-steel-1-48.html?listtype=search&searchparam=1%2F48 hurricane

Ray

Thanks for the heads up.  Although they are specifically for the Airfix Hurricane and the same price as the other sets I have been looking at, I am still inclined to get the first set because you get two harnesses for the same price - I’ll do a Mk I Spitfire if my Hurricane goes okay.

Cheers,

Nigel

Be aware that the Eduard's instruction would have you route the lower portion of the Sutton harness behind the seat back, while it generally agreed that that section goes in front of the seat back, then through the cutout in the lower seat back.

It was done so the pilot would be able to lean forward as required by releasing the upper portion lock, and still be secured in the seat.

1 hour ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Be aware that the Eduard's instruction would have you route the lower portion of the Sutton harness behind the seat back, while it generally agreed that that section goes in front of the seat back, then through the cutout in the lower seat back.

It was done so the pilot would be able to lean forward as required by releasing the upper portion lock, and still be secured in the seat.

In one of the aforementioned threads on Britmodeller there were a few good diagrams that showed the fit, and pointed up how Eduard have misinterpreted it - nothing wrong with their parts, just what they'd have you do with them. The usual way to successful search Britmodeller is to not use the search function but do it with Google instead because it picks up more hits.

Paul.

5 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

The routing of the Sutton Harness in resin and photoetch

That outward loop in the harness dropper that goes through the seat is something I had not thought to do and I think is reasonable considering how the harness attached to the seat lower rear cross-member with a riser. I will have to do it that way on my next Spitfire build.

Spitfire Sutton Harness Attachment 1

This is a metal seat and from the K5054 fatal but it does show the attachment and riser to the lower rear seat cross-member.

Spitfire Sutton Harness Attachment 2

Some looseness in the harness dropper and looping out at the bottom as @Tail-Dragon shows seems good.

Ray 

19 hours ago, nheather said:

Some of Eduard's seatbelts are listed as 'steel'.  What is the advantage of steel over non-steel?

Having used both types of Eduard seatbelts I found the steel ones are better, they are thinner and therefore more flexible, you can fold them quite realistically.

• Like 1