Yamaha YZR500 1999 Norick Abe - Tamiya 1/12

Hey folks

Have finally finished this Tamiya kit and thought I would post some pics. Have had this sat on the pile of shame for some time as Abe was one of my favourite riders as a teenager, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do the kit justice (so had to build up some nerve to get going with it!) I haven't built a bike in some time and I had forgotten how awkward they can be: build, paint, build, paint etc. It was a lot more time consuming than the 1/72 aircraft and miniature painting I am used to. But, I did enjoy building it, despite the age of the kit it fitted together beautifully, and just a couple of the decals had started to get a bit dry (thankfully none of the major ones!)

Anyway here she is. The observant will notice a couple of bits missing (I am going to say he crashed a bit too often!) and for the exhaust I was experimenting with some metallic colour-shift paints, so again not really analogous to real life. 

Any C&C very welcome!

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Stef N. said:

It is a nice looking bike. Great work Filbert.👏

What paints did you use for the exhausts?

Thanks a lot for the kind comments guys! 

@Stef N. - I used Green Stuff World colorshift metal - Cobolt blue and Celestial Azure. They are really cool paints, I know not very accurate but just wanted to give them a go. You just airbrush a gloss black (I just used a Tamiya X18) and then use the colorshift over the top. Each successive layer makes the colour more brilliant, I think that was 3 light coats to get that effect, but from reading online you can keep going! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Filbert_Wang said:

Thanks a lot for the kind comments guys! 

@Stef N. - I used Green Stuff World colorshift metal - Cobolt blue and Celestial Azure. They are really cool paints, I know not very accurate but just wanted to give them a go. You just airbrush a gloss black (I just used a Tamiya X18) and then use the colorshift over the top. Each successive layer makes the colour more brilliant, I think that was 3 light coats to get that effect, but from reading online you can keep going! 

Thanks for that. Accuracy aside they look good and I will keep an eye out for them as they may come in handy in future. And it looks like game shops stock them in the UK so no problem getting them.👍

• Like 1