River Class Frigate. HMS Mourne. K261. 1/400 scale. Black Cat Models.

Faraway

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Jon - the only ones I'm immediately aware of are Eduard's.....

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/photo-etched-parts/photo-etched-set/ships/1-350/royal-navy-signal-flags-steel-1-350.html

Not used them myself though I was looking at them the other day

HTH

Rob

Problem I have is the 1/400 scale, very few suppliers do this scale.

Jon

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Looking very good John as for signal flags you could make your own from masking tape doubled over the halyard lines and painted what various signal you want using the net to give you to correct signal types.  :idea:

I used that method on my HMCS Huron build a few years ago

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

Now that is a plan, just need to work out the flag sizes for the scale, and robert’s my father’s brother. 👍👍

Jon

Depth charges fitted, along with a couple of ladders and AA gun deck. I've been, as per @robgizlu, painting the horizontal parts of the railings, a different colour to the stanchions. I think it will make a difference. It'll be a while before I fit them. 

With regards the signal flags, I've discovered that there are at least six sizes, no idea what the size would be for this ship, so I'll make some blanks and see which ones look the part. I don't want them too small or too big, but I have a plan for the signal I'll fly, more of that much later.

Jon

p?i=2362b1c57d285d376b197986f6c0e6fe

• Like 7

You've got to love 3D printing

p?i=f80bfb12c5857e9277be96828fe0f449

p?i=e34e3e66928474f8a2a9a13a1ff78c9a

Guns added and a little bit of railing. Not too happy with the paint finish not the railing, so will attack with a hairy stick tomorrow.

p?i=a94b0d01733319b8e0f9e9f090bd142e

Ignore the lengths of rigging. It was easier to attach to now than to try to thread the 'bobs buckle' with the railing in place.

p?i=f236aa88721127346cd5ebc271541d9e

p?i=62630d028bd3e83d0dabe949e7debc2c

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

Those guns look great, are you airbirshing as you go or using the old hairy stick?

Finished with the airbrush, so using a brush to touch up the bits that were missed and the tiny bits.

Jon

• Like 2

Just a quick post.

I was surprised that the PE with this kit, didn't have a windscreen frame for the bridge, so perhaps I thought these ships didn't have one.

But after a look at a couple of books I have and a wander through the amazing photos sent to me by @socjo1. I discovered that the majority of the class, did in fact have windscreens of some sort, so.........................

p?i=15125bbab577055d8d3d76c0756f3df8

A bit of gash PE later.

I might glaze it with my glazing solution, but seen with the naked eye, you'd be hard pressed to see.

Fast approaching completion, the forward railing to be fixed, then the two masts and then the rigging. Definitely NOT my favourite task, but it does make all the difference.

Ship models look kinda unfinished without a bit of rigging.

Jon

• Like 4

Nice job with the windscreen Jon - it will look a whole lot better glazed - do you have any old "Overhead" acetates anyhere? - the sort of thing you'd have placed on an overhead projector (before PowerPoint!)

It's all looking very Fab

Rob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Overhead" acetates anyhere?

I do indeed, but it’s thicker than the PE, so I will use the AK Acrylic Glaze, that I have used before. Applied with care, ie not too much, it dries very thin and 90% clear. But it does give a good impression of ‘glass’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

plan it into the build process 

I learnt this the hard way, on one build I didn’t consider where the mast guy ropes would attach to the deck, until after fitting all the usual clutter on the deck. Then of course I couldn’t drill holes for ‘bobs buckles’. I still tend to end up wishing I’d put the “bb’s” somewhere elsewhere, but on the whole I’m getting there.

Jon

• Like 1

Well, I've glazed the windows, you can't really see them unless the light catches them. But they do finish off the bridge, I'm surprised they weren't in the kit.

Jon.                                p?i=0e7be10a5ceac257025c7689342987fd

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

Just a quick post.

I was surprised that the PE with this kit, didn't have a windscreen frame for the bridge, so perhaps I thought these ships didn't have one.

But after a look at a couple of books I have and a wander through the amazing photos sent to me by @socjo1. I discovered that the majority of the class, did in fact have windscreens of some sort, so.........................

p?i=15125bbab577055d8d3d76c0756f3df8

A bit of gash PE later.

I might glaze it with my glazing solution, but seen with the naked eye, you'd be hard pressed to see.

Fast approaching completion, the forward railing to be fixed, then the two masts and then the rigging. Definitely NOT my favourite task, but it does make all the difference.

Ship models look kinda unfinished without a bit of rigging.

Jon

Just for your interest: another very distinctive River's bridge feature are inner walls. And once again it is absent in model (your and mine - Black Cat and Starling).

Best regards,

Michał

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, socjo1 said:

Just for your interest: another very distinctive River's bridge feature are inner walls. And once again it is absent in model (your and mine - Black Cat and Starling).

Best regards,

Michał

Michal.

I noticed that to, not only in my reference books, but also in many of the photos you sent me. Had I thought, when I was building the bridge I might have added them. Next time perhaps, if I build another River Class.

Jon

• Like 1

Gidday Jon, I've been incommunicado for about a week, my computer crashed and I've only just got it back.

In my absence you've been doing a superb job on this. The detail you've got on this model is extremely good. Very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, I've been incommunicado for about a week, my computer crashed and I've only just got it back.

In my absence you've been doing a superb job on this. The detail you've got on this model is extremely good. Very well done. Regards, Jeff.

Jeff. You are very kind, couple more things to do and she’ll be finished.

Jon

• Like 2

Done.

A bit of a teaser as I don't want to do the RFI until I add the name plate to the base. Which should arrive today 🤞
No prizes, but can you guess what is lurking in the background ?

Jon

p?i=dd5675da472511de90ce5cef5f658f21

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Faraway said:

No prizes, but can you guess what is lurking in the background ?

Would that be the Dunkirk then.  🤔

Now that will look very smart with a nice nameplate looking forward to more of the finished photos.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy