River Class Frigate. HMS Mourne. K261. 1/400 scale. Black Cat Models.

Faraway

I'm not sure when I shall start this, given this week is sort of busy with Christmas prep. How that turns out, we will see. Also, I've just ordered some paint from @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and given the time of year, our delivery couriers tend to slow down.

Anyway, I saw this kit on the BC website and just happened to suggest to "she who must be obeyed" that it looked to be an interesting build. Well, the rest, is as they say history.

So here it is.

I've not given a name for this ship, as is usual on this forum, as I've not decided which ship she will be yet. Currently I'm leaning towards HMS Parrett, as it's a river near to me, but we shall see. 

So, as a tease here are a few pictures.

p?i=3b513a53c72756f82bf5900bd0e8d9e0

I do like how the build instructions are laid out.

p?i=f781d91e1dabae2f1817a66be30e9de4

Hull and superstructure

p?i=b5c0ae8140def7165e9d1c667bca45cb

Resiny bits, a few have been knocked of their sprue, but no damage.

p?i=133de002c9d4599335f93092f75e6d47

3D printy bits.

p?i=11cae5e2e9dfd068e9b577c297b5fca7

p?i=a37fa4264a026408541ed6d740e3a265

And finally, PE, decals and brass wire.

p?i=18e91731e59e97836a8feb2eecd2e30f

As you can see, the world's me oyster when it comes to pennant numbers.

Also, I've got to figure out how to display her, water base or plinth. Not sure yet.

But one thing is certain, this will take a while to finish, cos I want to try and make it my best so far.

Was that a sigh of relief @beefy66 ??????

Anyway, I hope you all have a splendid Christmas and a great New Year.

See you soon.

JOn

Edited by Faraway
Title change
  • Like 11

Looks like an interesting future build, looking for to the start.

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

water base or plinth.

If its any help, I used to mount my submarines pedestal style but came to realise that I didn't particularly like it, so I tried a sea base and that's how I mount them now. I also think that being mounted on a sea base, the subject can be more readily weathered where as pedestal mounts tend to lean towards clean looking ships. So, it comes down to date and what you want to do.

Happy Crimbo

Stuart

• Like 1

You really do get all the kit in one box here. Very interesting. Pulling up a chair, popping on the popcorn and lighting up a cigar for this one.

Here's my spanner in the works, ever thought about trying a poured resin base so you can see below the waterline? (Though I'm not sure how it would react with resin models and am yet to try myself even with plastic).

David

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

ever thought about trying a poured resin base

David. I recently saw, if I can find it I’ll sent it to you, a submarine model mounted (?) within a clear plastic (?) sea. But I think for me, how ever much it appeals, a step too far. I mean, how do you get rid of the bubbles ?

Jon

10 hours ago, Faraway said:

David. I recently saw, if I can find it I’ll sent it to you, a submarine model mounted (?) within a clear plastic (?) sea.

I believe you may be referring to this? or some of these? Theres a tutorial somewhere of them, including the many, many, melted models early on. Amazing work, but I don't think I've seen a resin boat put in a poured resin base.

10 hours ago, Faraway said:

I mean, how do you get rid of the bubbles ?

Blowtorch? Or toothpick?  I've seen others use these methods - depending on resin used, but I think a trial is needed. I don't know about internally (hull)...sheer willpower?

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Jon - looks a super moulding - under-rated ships.  I'm still puzzled as to why Ben chose 1/400 and not 1/350 :huh:

Rob

Rob.

I wondered that to, 🤔according to this site, that’s what we Europeans prefer. 

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=222328

So now you know 😜😜😜😜

Jon

• Like 1

And off we go...............

I've started by drilling the scuttles a bit deeper.

p?i=f5786aa0395dcaf94675434266dac404

Then have added the 'boot topping'.

p?i=c2c9251f3dff41983ba847ebf835a186

And have now started to drill and file out the wind deflectors around the bridge.

p?i=0f05bedf64a2e0f0120dd62a9b1330c6

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looks like an interesting future build, looking for to the start.

If its any help, I used to mount my submarines pedestal style but came to realise that I didn't particularly like it, so I tried a sea base and that's how I mount them now. I also think that being mounted on a sea base, the subject can be more readily weathered where as pedestal mounts tend to lean towards clean looking ships. So, it comes down to date and what you want to do.

Happy Crimbo

Stuart

Stuart. As much as I like sea bases, I’m yet to master the dark art of weathering, so I tend towards a display base. That way my ships can look ‘out of the showroom’ 😂

Happy Xmas

Jon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Jon - looks a super moulding - under-rated ships.  I'm still puzzled as to why Ben chose 1/400 and not 1/350 :huh:

Rob

It seems Starling and Black Cat cooperates quite close. Maybe it was kind of agreement, dividing two scales between two producers. When I look at these two models Black Cat and Starling they looks quite similar, including booklet's graphical layout. And yes, 1/400  scale can be still quite popular in  France - former Heller's models were 1/400.

Regards,

Michał

• Like 1

Paint for the deck and anti foul for hull have arrived from @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and a Christmas present, thanks Jamie. So, probably not today but tomorrow might see a beginning of painting. Once the hull is painted below the boottop, I’ll begin masking for the camouflage pattern above. Once those are done, I’ll mask everything to protect the surface and spray the deck. Then, the building can start in earnest. But that will be after Christmas.

Jon

• Like 2

lovely, if you don't mind I'll watch with interest. My uncle spent most of his war service on HMS Mourne and unfortunately never survived its sinking a week after D-day off the Lizard. Whatever ship you end up replicating, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, npb748r said:

lovely, if you don't mind I'll watch with interest. My uncle spent most of his war service on HMS Mourne and unfortunately never survived its sinking a week after D-day off the Lizard. Whatever ship you end up replicating, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress.

You are more than welcome.
Since reading your post, I’ve had a quick look around the web and there is quite a bit about HMS Mourne. And as I had no actual ship in mind, if it’s ok with you, I’ll endeavour to build this as HMS Mourne, any information you have would be great. Do you mind sharing your uncles name ? 
Jon

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Since reading your post, I’ve had a quick look around the web and there is quite a bit about HMS Mourne. And as I had no actual ship in mind, if it’s ok with you, I’ll endeavour to build this as HMS Mourne, any information you have would be great. Do you mind sharing your uncles name ? 
Jon

Hi Jon,

that would be really lovely. My uncle was Lesley Barnes, stoker 1st class, he was 19 when he died. There are some photos of HMS Mourne and its crew on the IWM website including photos of Lesley. I'm lucky enough to have all of his wartime records, his last letter home to my nan which he sent a week before he died, his pension papers and the telegram telling nan that he had died. Really touching especially his last letter home. My dad was in 298 squadron at the time, a rear gunner on the Halifax and a few months after Lesley died their flat (in Queens Park, London) was hit by a V1 and destroyed so 1944 was not a good year for the family !!  Really looking forward to watching the build.

regards

neil

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Gidday, Jon I think that is a terrific gesture, re HMS Mourne. And Neil, it's hard to put a 'like' to your posts, considering what you've told us. No, I guess 1944 wasn't a good year for your family. As an aside, my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Barnes, but unlikely to be related. Her brother-in-law, one of my great uncles was killed in Lebanon in 1941.

Jon, I'm looking forward to seeing how your model progresses. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, npb748r said:

Hi Jon,

that would be really lovely. My uncle was Lesley Barnes, stoker 1st class, he was 19 when he died. There are some photos of HMS Mourne and its crew on the IWM website including photos of Lesley. I'm lucky enough to have all of his wartime records, his last letter home to my nan which he sent a week before he died, his pension papers and the telegram telling nan that he had died. Really touching especially his last letter home. My dad was in 298 squadron at the time, a rear gunner on the Halifax and a few months after Lesley died their flat (in Queens Park, London) was hit by a V1 and destroyed so 1944 was not a good year for the family !!  Really looking forward to watching the build.

regards

neil

Neil.

You are very lucky to have so much to remember Lesley by, we have a similar story. My wife’s, mother’s brother was a telegraphist aboard HMS Hermione, a Dido Class Light Cruiser. He, also, was lost when she was torpedoed in the Mediterranean 16th June 1942 but unlike you, we only have a couple of photos of him. His lose was very hard on his family, his younger sister, would never talk about him. I don’t think she ever came to terms with his lose. When Trumpeter finally release the promised 1/350 HMS Dido, I will build it as HMS Hermione, as a tribute to Arthur Neate.

Meanwhile, I’ll do my best to make this build as HMS Mourne.

So, I have to ask the hive mind within this forum, anyone who can shed light on this ship, particularly her armaments, I will be most grateful.

Jon

• Like 1

• Faraway changed the title to River Class Frigate. HMS Mourne. K261. 1/400 scale. Black Cat Models.

Thank you for very touching and dramatic war stories of your families. Such personal perspective is always great and unique addition to our modelling.  

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

So, I have to ask the hive mind within this forum, anyone who can shed light on this ship, particularly her armaments, I will be most grateful.

Jon

Looking at pictures we can find in Internet, armament question seems rather simple:

2 x 102 mm,

4 x 20 mm (only single, rather no twins). Of course no single 40 mm pom-poms (only Spey and Rother had these, if I remember correctly)!

1 Hedgehog

2 depth charge rails

8 depth charges throwers

Regards, 

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 3

Here's where I'm at so far.

The hull has been sprayed red, once hardened off I'll remove the mask above the boottop, mask the red and spray the hull sides white, in preparation for the  WA Blue camo pattern.

The rudder, propeller shafts, shaft supports and screws, I will fit after I mount the hull on a base, but before I start adding parts to the deck. 'Cos I absolutely guarantee, I'll knock 'em off.

p?i=f6ee44ec98bab594956f4c76ef56dbb2

I've also finished drilling and filing the deflectors around the bridge.

Only broke one :clap:drill 

p?i=1471f7688e345591e75215b9d76ad94f

1 hour ago, socjo1 said:

Looking at pictures we can find in Internet, armament question seems rather simple:

Michal. 

I to have wandered the Internet and came to the conclusion that she was armed with 1 4" forward and 1 4" aft, two single oerlikon on the bridge and two more aft of the funnel.

The reason I asked is because of the build instructions show this, the two oerlikon on the bridge.

p?i=a6ad2a9bcea1b90350ccf095edeba901

And then a choice of guns on the aft platform.

I presume the top one is a twin oerlikon and the one below is a 2lb single PomPom.

These I'll replace with two single oerlikon, of which there are 5 3D printed ones.

I see now, having read the drawing with more care, I see they also suggest a single oerlikon either side. Perhaps I need new glasses :whistle:silly old fool, that I am.

p?i=09068155e81bb152e13959376590c627

Also, interestingly, I see one of the pictures of HMS Mourne, shows her without her pennant number K261 on the hull, any ideas why ?

Jon

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

As an aside, my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Barnes, but unlikely to be related.

Jeff.

Now wouldn’t THAT be something, if you are related ? :yikes:

Jon

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Faraway said:

The reason I asked is because of the build instructions show this, the two oerlikon on the bridge.

p?i=a6ad2a9bcea1b90350ccf095edeba901

And then a choice of guns on the aft platform.

I presume the top one is a twin oerlikon and the one below is a 2lb single PomPom.

These I'll replace with two single oerlikon, of which there are 5 3D printed ones.

I see now, having read the drawing with more care, I see they also suggest a single oerlikon either side. Perhaps I need new glasses :whistle:silly old fool, that I am.

p?i=09068155e81bb152e13959376590c627

Also, interestingly, I see one of the pictures of HMS Mourne, shows her without her pennant number K261 on the hull, any ideas why ?

Jon

1.  Good job with deflectors really adds a lot for realism and crisp, authentic look!

2. Single or twin Oerlikons and rear platform:

Don't trust too much instruction. Look at this picture: ( HNLMS Johan Maurits von Nassau (former HMS Ribble K251))

6AzFllP.jpg

Sorry for repeating because I I had posted it earlier in my Jed's thread. I wrote there too: (I try to collect there as many informtion as I can for somebody who build River as well) 

So today maybe a few words and pictures about AA-guns. But first - let's read some interesting books (we love them!). For example British Destroyers and Frigates... and River Class- Frigates. There we can easily find interesting and important information. Only two earliest frigates (Rother and Spey) were equipped with 2-pdr guns in stern platform. So it's Starling's mistake fitting Nadder with two-pounders. I am sorry. Es tut mit leid. Bardzo mi przykro. Mi dispiace molto. Another possible platform's armament was 2 x single Oerlikons, like HNLMS Johan Maurits von Nassau (former HMS Ribble K251) had.

In my opinion the similair situation is bridge layout. And AA aft platfom. I can be wrong but I really had "dugged" tens of photos, plans and so on. 

3. Pennant number - maybe censorship activity?

HTH

Michal

Edited by socjo1

3 minutes ago, socjo1 said:

Look at this picture:

Good enough for me ! Single barrel Oerlikons all round. 👍👍👍

4 minutes ago, socjo1 said:

3. Pennant number - maybe censorship activity?

Certainly a possibility.

Jon