Arma 1/72nd P-51B-C, Mustang Mk.III,...... NEW KIT! ***FINISHED***

tonyot

Excellent job on this, Tony!  So smoooooth.  I really like the finish.  Wasn't there a red marker over the filler cap (or whatever it is) to the upper left of the port fuselage roundel?  That detail seems crying out for attention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Excellent job on this, Tony!  So smoooooth.  I really like the finish.  Wasn't there a red marker over the filler cap (or whatever it is) to the upper left of the port fuselage roundel?  That detail seems crying out for attention.

Might not have needed it, Kenny! In the photos of Tony's modeling subject, it's hard to tell for sure, because of the glare on the fuselage, but it doesn't look like this one has the 85-gallon fuselage fuel tank. If it does, I  think the filler might not be marked in red, as I doubt the extra fuel was needed for the type of missions being flown at that time, and the tank caused a dangerous rearward shift in the cg when full, and I imagine sloshed around somewhat until emptied, not marking the filler cap might just alert ground crews. not to fill it- Just a guess on my part. Thinking the 108 gallon tanks provided more than enough fuel, and had no adverse effect on stability, unlike the fuselage tank.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments folks and Kenny,..... the aircraft that I`m replicating doesn`t appear to have the red filler cap, nor the rear fuselage fuel tank,.... as mentioned by Mike. It appears to have been stripped of camouflage, including all stencils?

Here us the model with the serials added,..... using stencilled style decals from Ventura set V7252. The propeller has been partially cleaned up and had its decals added too and the `G' hs been altered to match the real thing better by having the flourish mde narrower . 

DSCF2960-NEW.jpg

DSCF2963-NEW.jpg

And here it is with some of my other projects that are underway too;

DSCF2959-NEW.jpg

DSCF2967-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

51 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Love the workbench photos, Tony! That razorback Jug looks the bee's knees! Is that a 1/48 Sea Gladiator I see in the background? Luvverly!

Mike

Cheers Mike,...... yeah the 1/72nd P-47D is 1st Air Commando, Burma and the Sea Gladiator is actually the 1/32nd Roden kit....... just building up the courage to add the upper wing and rig it!  

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 1:42 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Keep building those 1/144 Hastings, and perhaps a 1/72 version will appear!  All of the works are excellent, as usual!

Lets hope so re the Hating`s eh? I wouldn`t mind building a few more of these either,...... I hope they release a C.2 variant and also a MET.Mk.2. Glad you like them mate.

• Like 2

Well ticking along now and got a bot more done overnight,...... I dulled down the markings with matt varnish and then added a quick coat overall too,..... which was scuffed on using a brush. A watercolour was was applied to highlight the recessed detail and then the undercarriage and exhausts were added. I`ve gone and lost the inner undercarriage doors to the carpet monster/old lady ghost ,..... so after a search yesterday,...... I`ll try again today,...... wish me luck!!

DSCF2971-NEW.jpg

DSCF2973-NEW.jpg

I also added a coat of US Neutral Grey to the wing tanks,....... BUT,..... I may add a coat of Medium Sea Grey after double checking the reference photo?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 15

Well I`ve got it finished,...... painted the drop tanks Medium Sea Grey and then scuffed them a bit to reveal the darker paint underneath, then added some black lines to them from the spares box;

DSCF3031-NEW.jpg

DSCF3008-NEW.jpg

DSCF3004-NEW.jpg

DSCF3019-NEW.jpg

DSCF3025-NEW.jpg

DSCF3045-NEW.jpg

DSCF3049-NEW.jpg

DSCF3037-NEW.jpg

DSCF3040-NEW.jpg

What a gorgeous kit,..... I really enjoyed this one and will be building many more in the future,..... hopefully!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 27

• tonyot changed the title to Arma 1/72nd P-51B-C, Mustang Mk.III,...... NEW KIT! ***FINISHED***
3 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Super job Tony.  Another worthy addition to the cabinets...

Thanks Mate,.... glad you like it,..... got a bit panicky towards the end!! 

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Tony what a cracking model matey  looks great especially with the Matt Varnish on, the finish looks superb. Glad you got the UC doors located too, was it the old lady ghost or the carpet monster that had them?

Great work 

Chris

Cheers Chris,...... LOL,..... yeah must have been the old lady,...... how the hell it got where it was,...... I really don`t know and again, I`d previously looked there too,....... spooky!   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Mate,.... glad you like it,..... got a bit panicky towards the end!! 

Cheers Chris,...... LOL,..... yeah must have been the old lady,...... how the hell it got where it was,...... I really don`t know and again, I`d previously looked there too,....... spooky!   

She's being cheeky,  really fascinating all that sort of thing.  One of my colleagues goes out on Ghost hunts and has the digital voice recorders  EMF meters and all that, he loves it.

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

She's being cheeky,  really fascinating all that sort of thing.  One of my colleagues goes out on Ghost hunts and has the digital voice recorders  EMF meters and all that, he loves it.

Chris

Cheeky indeed mate,.... I was  bit sceptical about this sort of thing but I used to work in an old convert that was used by the cops as offices and on night shift, all alone in the building, with the upstairs checked and locked by me,..... I would hear footsteps all night, scraping of things moving,....... the hand dryers in the toilets next to my officer would go off on their own...... and you`d gt the feeling of somebody outside in the corridor watching you,..... a very, very creepy place indeed! I never looked back at the building after locking it. 

2 hours ago, GMK said:

Tony, lovely work! Hard to believe that’s a 1/72 build. Immaculate!

Thanks mate,..... it is a lovely little kit.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Yet another superlative example from you Tony.

It's a beauty.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,..... glad you like it mate,..... it is a lovely kit. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a gorgeous kit,..... I really enjoyed this one and will be building many more in the future,..... hopefully!

Cheers

Tony

hi Tone,

looks great! I might build one..but probably one only.  Unbelievably over on that well-known auction site the Arma 72nd P-51 B/C is around £2.50 more expensive than the Tamiya 48th P-51 B

• Like 1