Arma 1/72nd P-51B-C, Mustang Mk.III,...... NEW KIT! ***FINISHED***

tonyot

Hiy Folks,....... well this new kit from Arma arrived in the post today and I just had to share it with you,...... WOW doesn`t even cover it,...... at first glance this knocks any other P-51B-C kit out of the water,...... it even includes optional parts for the early or late tail with the strake, different cowling air vents including the elusive British style, dropped flaps and the best interior that I have seen on any 1/72nd Mustang, the decals even include a full set of instruction plates for the various interior fittings and fixtures and decal or etches brass harness straps! 

The box art is superb and there are six decal options ranging from USAAF 8th, 9th &  14th AF`s to RAAF in Italy, Polish AF in the UK and even a captured Japanese aircraft!

Here is the very evocative box art;

DSCF2803-NEW.jpg

And the kit parts laid out;

DSCF2805-NEW.jpg

Some close ups hopefully show just how crisp and detailed the kit parts are;

DSCF2807-NEW.jpg

DSCF2814-NEW.jpg

DSCF2816-NEW.jpg

And the optional fins for the early and late styles with the later strake, plus the excellent cockpit and wheel well detail;

DSCF2818-NEW.jpg

The package is topped off with some excellent quality decals, etched parts and optional glazed parts catering for open or closed standard or Malcolm hoods, the latter also has etched bras slide rail runners;

DSCF2812-NEW.jpg

DSCF2820-NEW.jpg

So,.... I`m looking forward to diving into this one!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tony, following eagerly!

Now the first question is: are there sink marks on the surfaces so big that the kit is totally unbuildable?😄 If so don't spend a minute on it and send it to me 

• Haha 5

Hiya Folks,..... got stuck into this last night and today,..... here is my progress,....... what a lovely kit it is to build;

So I painted the interior parts on the sprue;

DSCF2826-NEW.jpg

DSCF2829-NEW.jpg

DSCF2832-NEW.jpg

Then began construction,.... with the cockpit and the radiator,.... also at this stage you need to decide which tailplane you want,.... the early one or the later one with the fin strake,..... as for the latter you need to remove a section of the rear upper fuselage, seen here marked with black lines. Also seen are the bulkheads for the wheel wells, which were finished in Zinc Chromate rather than the natural metal elsewhere;;

DSCF2837-NEW.jpg

The decals for the interior are very good,.... but my eyes struggled,.... must get a magnifier!! The etched harness is nice too,.... you get two options and also two optional seats;

DSCF2839-NEW.jpg

DSCF2841-NEW.jpg

DSCF2842-NEW.jpg

DSCF2844-NEW.jpg

I had also been building the wings alongside the interior,.... as you`ve probably noticed,..... well here they are alongside the fuselage now that it has been joined;

DSCF2846-NEW.jpg

Here you can see the cutout for the fin strake, which was cut out earlier;

DSCF2848-NEW.jpg

And finally for today,.... the wings and tailplane have been added,.. all basically clicking into position,..... I am very impressed with this kit indeed;

DSCF2851-NEW.jpg

DSCF2853-NEW.jpg

DSCF2854-NEW.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 29

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Blimey Tony  that was quick  fella, looks wonderful as a kit and your interior work too.  Is the windscreen moulded with the top of the fuselage too, that would really save tidying around lower frame.

This is great.  Great work 

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... yes mate the windscreen is all one part with the forward section,...... this kit has been really well thought out and is really excellent,...... you can build almost any variant of th P-51B/C from this kit. 

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

🍿at the ready. Page 1 and you’ve almost finished!

Tempted by this one, but I think I’ll wait for the ‘basic’ version.

Trevor

Cheers Trevor,..... I know what you mean mate,... this will be the go to kit,...... blows the Revell and Academy kits out of the water!  .

• Like 4

Nice looking kit. might be something I will have a look into. I am just about to finish the Revell 1/72 that comes with the Me 262. The one you seem to be building looks like it as a lot more detail. I bought the Arma Hurricane Mk 1 expert set a while ago with intentions of building when i had a little more experience. This Mustang you have looks way more detailed on the inside compared to the Hurricane. However, what is on the Hurricanes sprues looks quite interesting, so I might be in for a shock; and there is the etching to. 

• Like 2

Wow mate, that looks like a cracker of a kit, although not my cup of tea. I can see that it's got a lot of detail and thought behind the engineering/tooling. Those strange ejector pin markings/mouldings, the circle with the pips around it, very strange but f it works...

Crack on...

Colin

• Like 2

Hell Tony, slow down mate, I'm struggling to keep up. :D

I do like the look & impressions of this, I can see at least three to come this way. One for Ding Hao, another for Jerzy Mencel's machine & one for those decals you sent me a while ago. Then there is......., well maybe that'll do for starters. :) Watching closely.

Steve

• Like 2

Very happy to see you tackle this one, Tony.  Can't wait to get my hands on a few samples, we've been waiting oh so long for this one!

Looks like thoughtful engineering all around.  I like how the parts for every variant are built into the moulds; I dislike having to buy separate boxings for each variant of a subject as the Japanese firms would have me do. 

The cockpit placard transfers are a classy touch, wish more manufacturers would include them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr T said:

Gosh Tony, quick work on that, I am still waiting for mine via a well known shop in Halifax. It really looks a stunning kit. 

Cheers mate,..... yeah I`ll be getting a few more from that very same outlet!!

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow mate, that looks like a cracker of a kit, although not my cup of tea. I can see that it's got a lot of detail and thought behind the engineering/tooling. Those strange ejector pin markings/mouldings, the circle with the pips around it, very strange but f it works...

Crack on...

Colin

Thanks Colin,..... yeah lovely kit mate. 

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hell Tony, slow down mate, I'm struggling to keep up. :D

I do like the look & impressions of this, I can see at least three to come this way. One for Ding Hao, another for Jerzy Mencel's machine & one for those decals you sent me a while ago. Then there is......., well maybe that'll do for starters. :) Watching closely.

Steve

Only three Steve,.... LOL! Cheers mate,...... it is very highly recommended.

4 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

This looks an amazingly detailed kit Tony.  Following your impressive build as ever.

Colin

Thanks Colin,.... yep, lovely kit.

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Very happy to see you tackle this one, Tony.  Can't wait to get my hands on a few samples, we've been waiting oh so long for this one!

Looks like thoughtful engineering all around.  I like how the parts for every variant are built into the moulds; I dislike having to buy separate boxings for each variant of a subject as the Japanese firms would have me do. 

The cockpit placard transfers are a classy touch, wish more manufacturers would include them.

Thanks mate,..... yes it is very well thought out indeed and will now be the `go to' kit for me when I build a P-51B/C, those cockpit decals are a great idea,...... but I found them hard to see!!  

• Like 2

Dayam, Tony- I'm still waiting for the two I've pre-ordered, and here you are almost finished with one!  As the sprue shots and reviews have shown, it looks like Arma has given us a state of the art and accurate Merlin highback kit....finally! I have been very impressed with the thoughtful engineering and  the precise fit of  their releases. Can't wait to see the RFI photos! (One of  mine will be 352nd FG ace William Whisner's famous 'Princess Elizabeth,' and the other most likely a Mustang Mk III with the dorsal fin fairing as  KH616, CV-J from No. 3 Squadron, RAAF. (There's just something about that blue rudder with the Southern Cross on it...)

Mike

https://aeropedia.com.au/content/north-american-p-51b-p-51c-mustang-mustang-ii-iii/

No photos of CV-J, but a very interesting No. 3 Squadron website I thought you and others might find useful- some neat modeling possibilities!

http://www.3squadron.org.au/index.htm

Happy Holidays, my friend!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/b8/e2/12/b8e21265646b4a5e6052916f3a3a7c23.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/aa/8e/67/aa8e6722909d9c7ae974e4eaa37a8bcb.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/www.swafineart.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Pathfinder-Force-swa-site.jpg?fit=2717%2C1636&ssl=1

• Like 2