Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire PR.19

Hello All,

My eighth and final completion for 2021 is Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire PR.19. Not the best kit, with some significant fit issues, poor quality moulding and rather over-emphasised panel lines, but pretty accurate by all accounts and a model of a great looking aircraft. My only additions were the whip aerial and the Rebecca Mk.II landing aid under the rear fuselage missed by Airfix. The scheme is from an Xtradecals sheet, but the serials are not quite right so in the end I only used the roundels, squadron crests and zeroes on the underwing serials. The tail flashes and prop stencils are from the kit and the serials are masked and airbrushed (the misalignment is intentional and somewhat neater than the real thing was). PRU Blue is from MRP and Medium Sea Grey from Mr Color. I've written a bit more about building the kit here: https://jonbryon.com/airfix-1-48-supermarine-spitfire-pr-19/

Comments very welcome

Jon

SpitfirePR19_17-1280x853.jpg

SpitfirePR19_03.jpg

SpitfirePR19_06.jpg

SpitfirePR19_05.jpg

SpitfirePR19_10.jpgSpitfirePR19_12.jpg

SpitfirePR19_09.jpgSpitfirePR19_20.jpg

SpitfirePR19_22.jpg

SpitfirePR19_28.jpgSpitfirePR19_27.jpg

SpitfirePR19_30.jpg

SpitfirePR19_36.jpg

SpitfirePR19_37.jpgSpitfirePR19_43.jpg

SpitfirePR19_45.jpg

SpitfirePR19_46.jpg

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dov said:

Nice built!

Panel lines are heavily overdone! Same issue accompanied me long time.

Look more on photos or real a/c!

Happy modelling

Sadly, when it comes to this Airfix kit, you will either have overdone panel lines or be forced to fill them all. There's nothing else one can do...

Jon

• Like 3

Excellent result, the painting is top notch.

A special mention to the discreet and subtle marbling/weathering.

As stated above, maybe a lighter shade for the panel lines would have made it less outstanding, but it's really a minor nit-pick.

Thanks for sharing,

Stef (#6)

• Like 1

Beautifully done! My only additional comment is to be careful of those prop decals - the type you've used are for the Rotol props currently manufactured/overhauled for the many warbird props out there. The WWII and immediate post-War props had simple red decals only with a single line of stencilling. I suspect the decals were made using the restored aircraft as a reference, hence the prop decals they supply. Ironically, when I built my 1/48 Tr.9 kit of SM520 I had a lot of trouble getting the correct warbird prop decals!

Lovely work overall, though!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Beautifully done! My only additional comment is to be careful of those prop decals - the type you've used are for the Rotol props currently manufactured/overhauled for the many warbird props out there. The WWII and immediate post-War props had simple red decals only with a single line of stencilling. I suspect the decals were made using the restored aircraft as a reference, hence the prop decals they supply. Ironically, when I built my 1/48 Tr.9 kit of SM520 I had a lot of trouble getting the correct warbird prop decals!

Lovely work overall, though!

That's really useful information. It's clear from photos that the props did have stencils and I could see they were different to those in the kit but not exactly how. Now I know why! I shall try and remember to update my article in due course.

Cheers

Jon

• Thanks 1