Tamiya P-47D Bubble top - 1/48

1 hour ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Thanks Sam :) I’ve been trying different techniques with the Alclad to see if I could achieve a more weathered varied look. I guess the main difference here was using a version of the black basing technique where you marble on the Alclad instead of spraying it evenly onto the black gloss base. 

spacer.png

In stages: once the model is ready for paint, I polished the plastic with Tamiya polishing compounds- trying to get the surface as smooth as possible.

Then the black gloss goes on. I used mr color gx2 which I think is the best option out there in terms of ease of use. Thinned 50:50 with mr leveling thinner. Once this was dry I did some more polishing on any spots that needed it. 

Then the Alclad goes on - marbled on at first followed by more even coats - this creates the variation in the paint. Airframe aluminum was the base colour. 

Certain panels were masked off and painted with different shades - polished aluminum and duralumin mixed with airframe aluminum to lessen the contrast. The model then got a coat of Aquagloss to seal in the paint and protect it from the many weathering layers to come. Hope this helps 😊

Thanks John, this is perfect. I haven't done anything nmf since my b29 a few years ago but plan to do a few smaller models following the liberator and will definitely be returning to this post when I get around to doing something shiny that's not too shiny! Still can't get over how good your build looks, almost making me consider 1/48 too! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaminCam said:

Thanks John, this is perfect. I haven't done anything nmf since my b29 a few years ago but plan to do a few smaller models following the liberator and will definitely be returning to this post when I get around to doing something shiny that's not too shiny! Still can't get over how good your build looks, almost making me consider 1/48 too! 

No worries :) If you're going to give this technique a try, I'd say to try it out on a paint mule first - this will give you a feel for it and practice what you're going to do on the model itself :)

• Thanks 1