Tamiya P-47D Bubble top - 1/48

Hi ho - here’s most likely my last completion for 2021 - the venerable Tamiya P-47. Had this in the stash for quite some time so great to finally knock it out. It’s an old enough kit but still top notch. Added HGW seat belts and raised rivets - both of which worked out quite well. I used Eduard’s “look” instrument panel drop in which didn’t impress tbh. Very plastic looking in spite of my attempts to flatten it with clear coats. Used resin wheels from eduard also which were very nice. 

Painted with Alclad and mr color paints. Weathering done mostly with oils - some enamel washes used. 

4THN8St.jpg

i7VFcWW.jpg

0Ih7xdQ.jpg

9EHabRn.jpg

hVPMW7m.jpg

qkvyI2P.jpg
hBWbO28.jpg

MG9jzky.jpg

S2jWGG5.jpg

lduJQ7U.jpg
DgvZb9K.jpg

8VF9IhO.jpg

• Like 57
  • Thanks 6

13 hours ago, ForestFan said:

That’s very nice, love the weathering

13 hours ago, theskits62 said:

Stunning work, well done !!

12 hours ago, ijs302 said:

Lovely finish and weathering, an excellent build 

Thanks guys 

12 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Lovely worn metal, you've mastered Alclad, I'd say.  I didn't get the HGW rivets to work anywhere near as well as you did.

You also remembered where the spats got dirty.

Thanks Jackson - I applied the rivets after the paint on a coat of Aquagloss - think the instructions say to put them on to the primer before paint but I was afraid they would get eaten by my paint and clear coats. I think this was the right call as they came out nicely. 

11 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Great job, top notch as always.

The work done on the metallic is undoubtedly the most realistic that I have ever seen in a model of an airplane with the degree of operability that they had in WWII.

Congratulations !!!

Andrés S.

Thanks Andres 😎

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That's one well worn but good looking Jug.  I've thought about the rivet sets before, might give it a go. :thumbsup:

I’d recommend them - I used mr mark settler (nothing else) and they worked a treat 

10 hours ago, Wulfman said:

An excellent build, beautifully painted and weathered !

Wulfman

Thanks mate 😊

This is fantastic John! Which alclad shades did you use and how did you get the burnished look so right on the fuselage? This is probably the best looking nmf I've seen on here so any more hints and tips on how you've done it would be great! What's next?!?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SaminCam said:

This is fantastic John! Which alclad shades did you use and how did you get the burnished look so right on the fuselage? This is probably the best looking nmf I've seen on here so any more hints and tips on how you've done it would be great! What's next?!?

Thanks Sam :) I’ve been trying different techniques with the Alclad to see if I could achieve a more weathered varied look. I guess the main difference here was using a version of the black basing technique where you marble on the Alclad instead of spraying it evenly onto the black gloss base. 

spacer.png

In stages: once the model is ready for paint, I polished the plastic with Tamiya polishing compounds- trying to get the surface as smooth as possible.

Then the black gloss goes on. I used mr color gx2 which I think is the best option out there in terms of ease of use. Thinned 50:50 with mr leveling thinner. Once this was dry I did some more polishing on any spots that needed it. 

Then the Alclad goes on - marbled on at first followed by more even coats - this creates the variation in the paint. Airframe aluminum was the base colour. 

Certain panels were masked off and painted with different shades - polished aluminum and duralumin mixed with airframe aluminum to lessen the contrast. The model then got a coat of Aquagloss to seal in the paint and protect it from the many weathering layers to come. Hope this helps 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1