Parallel Build - Bedford QL's

Paul821

Although I have built a fair number of soft skinned  and AFV's over the years by only such builds in BM have been within Group Builds, so this is my first such WIP in this area of the forum.

I built the Airfix QLT /QLD when there were first issued, (2010) and managed to pick up 2 more boxes for £5 each fairly soon after. These have sat in my stash ever since. I now want to expand my collection of late second world war two vehicles as part of my "Exercise Meteor" project and a second freelance model railway set in a similar period, To break away from the Airfix range I was drawn towards the IBG trucks as they offered some variety. Last week I took the plunge and bought two from their range, one of which is the QLR and the other will appear alongside my build in the Matchbox GB next year.

As an end of the year project I will be building both the Airfix vehicles alongside the IBG one ans , apart from the scale differences, see how these match up.

For starters here as the boxes:

ql

Rather than sprue shots I will post pictures of the various sub-structures as they progress.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nothing wrong with 1/72-1/76 builds. Will be interesting to see how these build, even the older Airfix ones.

I'll second that. Braille scale has it's problems but they can look really good with modern moulds and Britmodeller inspired building skill.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, echen said:

There is an interesting comparison of 1/76 and 1/72 Airfix and IBG Bedford trucks on the Henk of Holland site.

Thanks for this but do you have a direct link to this, I have tried using a search engine but cannot find the actual comparison.

At to my build it now a three (four?) way build as I remembered I had this somewhere in my stash

IMG_20211220_192508_742_resize

although it could be a contender for KUTA

IMG_20211220_192522_239_resize

it will be a useful link to earlier Aifix Kits.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 7:41 PM, Paul821 said:

Thanks for this but do you have a direct link to this,

I found this through the Henk of Holland site (Which I find really useful) but  the details are actually off a link from there to the On The Way website. (Also really useful) Have a gander at this review. 

I have the Airfix QLs and Scammell tank transporter and the IBG Scammell R100, the Sv2s and tank transporter. There's a huge contrast between the tank transporters detail, less so with the newer mouldings for the QLs and IBG WWII trucks.

y4m0wu6OvrvyediDdjuURiD6WuNJ2ho6bH4H2MUPMy stalled build of a QLT. Maybe watching Paul821's build will inspire its completion and a start on my other trucks.

Edited by echen

• 2 weeks later...

Belated thanks to @echen for the links he provided. This will save me some work on the comparisons I was planning to make.

The build has been held up as I am trying to complete builds before starting others and there were three  on the go up until now.

First stage is building the chassis

ql build 1

Left to right: IBG (QLR) Airfix (refueler - slightly further on as it was a stakled project), Airfix (QLD then QLR)

Parts count to build the Chassis:

IBG - 14 (I have not added the front bar as this is later in their build)

Old Airfix - 5

Newer Airfix - 6

Having not built and IBG kit before I find the plastic very soft,

One issue I always have with soft skinned vechicles is when to pain various components. At this time of year I have to use a paint brush with acrylics, so the question is: a) parts on the sprue, b) parts off the sprue but unassembled, c) sub-assemblies or d) on completion. At the moment my preference is a mixture of b & c.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 7:41 PM, Paul821 said:

when to pain various components

The $64,000 question. Different methods have pros and cons. Painting post assembly aids adhesion of the parts as the plastic is exposed to the cement. Pre-painting parts allows better access for complete coverage. I tend to mix a), c) and d). 

Probably the best method is one you've tried, tested and found suits you, achieving the results you're looking for.