Ford Model T Roadster, 1/24

Hello,
Straying a bit outside my comfort zone here, with something that isn't mud green, mud yellow or grey.

A couple of days back, I felt the need to build a kit that was a little different (for me), and wandered into an LMS, and took a look at what was on their shelves.
The thing that caught my eye was this:
FMT_001.jpg

A Revell boxing of an ICM Model T Roadster  essentially a two seat Ford Model T.

Sprue shots:
The main sprues
FMT_002.jpg

Think the sprue on the right is unique to this kit, the other two look fairly standard.

FMT_003.jpg

Again, standard sprues.  Separate wheels (presumably in case somebody wants to offer wire wheels?),  white vinyl tyres, and a sprue that could have been brass plated, but, fortunately, isn't.

FMT_004.jpg

And a clear plastic sprue

Construction has started, with some key assemblies

FMT_006.jpg

These need filling and checking but are, otherwise, ready for painting.
Revell suggest that the engine should be aluminium, but modern photos of similar, preserved, machines have black engines, with post WWI versions having dark green engines.

Dry fitted
FMT_007.jpg

Afterthought
This may not be quite so far from my usual builds as I thought: I have built a Model T chassis before, but then it was a 1/48 scale Soviet AA truck- basically a green camouflaged, 1940s era, licence built, 4x2 Ford Model T lorry.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, JohnE said:

Hello Marc,

I am also building this model. You can find some very useful and detailed pictures on the website of Hyman Ltd. in the "cars sold" section. 

Cheers

JohnE

Hello John, yes - I found that site.
Very useful colour reference there

I’m also watching with interest as I’m building one of these too. Just very very slowly 😂

interested to to see how you get on. I thought black for the engine seems right, will you be adding ignition leads?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been a bit quiet on this build, but painting, or, at least, priming has started.

Wheel, bonnet (hood), seat, canopy and other bits & pieces.
001.jpg

The chassis was first painted black, a normal sort of colour ... but then I had a think about what colour I want for this car.
At which point, the mud-guards (fenders?) received a coat of white primer.

002.jpg

The next stage should be colour ...

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A few wood and leather components, painted with oil paints.  The brand used (Michael Harding) is an artists' quality paint, which is more interesting to use than the high street brands we usually see.

003.jpg

Seat, kick board(?), dashboard/firewall (?), and steering wheel

I wasn't totally happy with the seat, so I stripped it back

004.jpg

And repainted it

005.jpg

Freshly painted (very wet) in this image, I'll give the seat a few hours, and see is I want to make it darker.

• Like 8

Thanks @HOUSTON, @psdavidson
Oil paint is, in my opinion, the best medium for representing leather (after leather itself ;))

The seat is darker now:
006.jpg
Again, wet paint, so some of that gloss should tone down.
Here I've used a mix of burnt umber and ultramarine blue which, with artists' quality paint, give a good range of dark browns to black.

• Like 5