Cf-100 Canuck decals

aerotechi

Morning all. 
Just acquired the hobbycraft cf-100 Canuck kit in 1:72 and as expected the decals are somewhat lacking. Does anybody know of any after market sets? From what I can see nobody is making them except maybe someone in Canada (post from September)

Thanks. 

CanMilAir is going to be your best bet for Canadian markings.

https://canmilair.square.site/s/shop

Given the Hobbycraft kits are long OOP since Hobbycraft crashed and burned and never were that great to start with, I don't see any likelihood of there being easy to find options outside of one of the few Canadian-specific sources (which these days means CanMilAir, Canuck or Belcher Bits, and Canuck didn't get started until after the Hobbycraft shutdown)

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Thanks 1

Also Syhart for Belgian options - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SY72904?result-token=ZyD3A .

According to Scalemates - Skylancer , Arrow , Canuck and MatNic all proposed or printed Canadian options with the last of those being as recently as 2020 - https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q="Avro+Canada+CF-100+Canuck"+1%3A72 .

PS regarding MatNic which I had never heard of , little digging and I found this -  http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/315998-new-cf-100-canuck-decals-doing-another-order-from-the-printer-see-last-post-for-info/  - active as recently as September.

• Thanks 1

CanMilAir went out of the decal business several years ago.  The owner was using an ALPS printer and IIRC was finding supplies hard to get.  He kindly left the original site up for reference purposes (lots of photographs to match the decals) but warned it wouldn't last forever and it didn't.  The site disappeared a while back.

The referenced site for CanMilAir sells only his other lines - books, vinyl and other stuff.

Flightdecs hasn't updated their site in a couple of years.  The site is still there but the decal lines I have checked all show August 2019 as the most recent update.  I am not sure he is still in business.  The question has been asked on a couple of forums in the past but I have never seen a definitive answer.

Edited by RJP
cleaned up the syntax
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, Adam Maas said:

”never were that great to start with”

I think you are being a little hard on the Hobbycraft CF100 kits. They were a copy of the Astra vac kit which is quite good and dimensionally accurate, they are slightly simple on the details, but that is easy enough to add. The canopy is clear and accurate. The cockpit is basic as can be, but is basically shades of black. The only real gotcha is the rear fuselage needs adjusting, or it will droop. Flightline Engineering offers a detail set that adds most of the missing detail. 
https://www.flightlineengineering.com/item_72_cf100_update_set.html

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

I think you are being a little hard on the Hobbycraft CF100 kits. They were a copy of the Astra vac kit which is quite good and dimensionally accurate, they are slightly simple on the details, but that is easy enough to add. The canopy is clear and accurate. The cockpit is basic as can be, but is basically shades of black. The only real gotcha is the rear fuselage needs adjusting, or it will droop. Flightline Engineering offers a detail set that adds most of the missing detail. 

I view them like the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IXc. Yeah, the shape is OK. I'd call them a lot more than slightly simple on the details unless you are only talking about the panel lines on the exterior (which are decent). And the cockpit is entirely fictional, although you can't really see it.

I'd be a lot easier on them if they'd been tooled in 1975 instead of 1989.

The Flightline Engineering update set looks nice, it pretty much solves all the issues with the kit, but it costs on par with the kit, if you can find the latter.

Edited by Adam Maas

Adam, I still see them on eBay for not obscene money, unlike say WnW, I have a number in the stash, including one moulded in beige, which I was told was a test shot. I guess we should thank Astra, who provided Hobbycraft something to rip off or we would be fighting over $500 Aurora CF100 kits in the ever popular, “not quite 1/72 scale.” 

Edit. I just checked eBay. They are starting to attract silly money.

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Would you happen to know if the Flightline set would work in an Astra vac kit? I've got one of those in the stash along with the Canuck decal sheet.

Thanks,

Carl

10 minutes ago, FG2Si said:

Would you happen to know if the Flightline set would work in an Astra vac kit? I've got one of those in the stash along with the Canuck decal sheet.

Thanks,

Carl

I haven’t used my Flightline set yet, but I am sure it would. Possibly the cockpit would be a bit narrow due to the thinness of the vac plastic, but not by much. The vac parts match up perfectly with the Hobbycraft plastic, so I would expect no issues. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I'll have to consider the detail set. 

A friend spoke to Jetmads and they're considering doing a CF-100 in 1/32. It would a few years off if it happens but they didn't rule it out. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FG2Si said:

Thanks for the info. I'll have to consider the detail set. 

A friend spoke to Jetmads and they're considering doing a CF-100 in 1/32. It would a few years off if it happens but they didn't rule it out. 

That will put a dent in my wallet! Paul Fisher wanted to do it a few years ago, but it’s a monster in 1/32!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

That will put a dent in my wallet! Paul Fisher wanted to do it a few years ago, but it’s a monster in 1/32!

I tried to convince Paul to do one and he really considered it. I told him he could probably sell enough of them in Canada alone to make it viable. We almost had Glen from Kitty Hawk take a shot at one too.  

1 minute ago, FG2Si said:

I tried to convince Paul to do one and he really considered it. I told him he could probably sell enough of them in Canada alone to make it viable. We almost had Glen from Kitty Hawk take a shot at one too.  

I tried to bribe him by giving him an extra “Canucks Unlimited” copy I had lying around. Then his shop and the book burned in the California wildfires. I would bribe someone to do a Mk3 conversion in 1/72 if I knew who to bribe! 

• Like 1

Just to continue the thread drift off decals, I did a trial fit of the Flightline set in a spare Astra fuselage. Fits fine, the biggest value of the set for me is the high pressure skinny tires. The intake rings will help with the hardest part of the vac. Here is a link to my Astra effort from 2014 

F5B696AF-0405-436E-977F-78BDEE06CD0A

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I asked Flightline about a mk3 and nose wheel cover but they said they weren't. It's just the nose. I have the Obsecuro set which isn't bad but doesn't have the wheels. I was going to use early F-4B main wheels which are very similar and could pass if needed.

10 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

I tried to bribe him by giving him an extra “Canucks Unlimited” copy I had lying around. Then his shop and the book burned in the California wildfires. I would bribe someone to do a Mk3 conversion in 1/72 if I knew who to bribe! 

the old Bob Keegan/Arrow Graphics Mk2/3 conversion was good, but it did not take into account the stretch of the Mk4/5 airframe behind the cockpit area.   The nose. wingtips, canopy and intake rims were basically what it consisted of.

PM me here or on FB

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson

• 1 year later...
On 12/21/2021 at 1:30 AM, Tony Edmundson said:

the old Bob Keegan/Arrow Graphics Mk2/3 conversion was good, but it did not take into account the stretch of the Mk4/5 airframe behind the cockpit area.   The nose. wingtips, canopy and intake rims were basically what it consisted of.

PM me here or on FB

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tony,

I just came across this thread.  I tried to PM you, but I have not been able to figure out where on this site to do that.  There does not seem to be any links.

I am curious if you have any info on getting a 1/72 CF-100 Mk.3 conversion and what else would be required to back date the Hobbycraft kit.  I have both the Obscureco and Flightline sets and they are indeed very nice.  I am quite fond of the Flightline set.

Thanks Tony.

Wm.