Five Colorful Albatros Fighters in 1/72

Earlier this year, I posted my collection of Colorful Fokker Triplanes here in RFI.  

(Link to Triplanes post )

Since then, I’ve started a “Colorful Albatros Fighters” collection to go with the Triplanes.   I’ve completed five 1/72 Albatros Fighters, so far:  One Roden D.III (Oeffag S.153) and Four Eduard D.V Weekend Editions.   All five builds are basically OOB, with the addition of some rigging. (And eventually pilots.)

The D.III was finished using the PrintScale decals for in Godwin Brumowski, the top-scoring ace in the Austria-Hungary Air Service.

spacer.png

For the D.V builds:

The blue one used the Eduard kit markings for Alfred Lenz of Jasta 22. 

The red one features the kit markings for Max Ritter von Muller of Jasta 28.  (Boxtop scheme.) 

The green and white one  was flown by Helmut Dilthy, the CO of Jasta 40. I used the Eduard decals for the lozenge, and made masks to paint the rest.  Dilthey used the colors of the Saxon flag on his plane- it must have really stood out, as the Jasta 40 colors were all black fuselages with all white tails.  

The last one was flown by Michael Sigmann of Jasta 78b.   This one used the Eduard kit decals for the lozenge.  Finding 1/72 decals for this plane was a challenge- Eduard’s initial Profipack release of the kit in 2000 is the only source. I found a guy on Hyperscale who had that kit, and traded one of my extra WE kit decal sheets for them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That’s it for WW1 builds for a while!   (I still have four more Dr.1s and seven more Albatrosses  to do, but I’m taking a break for a while so I can work on my ships.)

Edited by RC Boater Bill
Fixed old typos, added new ones.
  • Like 35

• RC Boater Bill changed the title to Five Colorful Albatros Fighters in 1/72

Excellent work, Bill -

The German WW1 aircraft are always popular because of thier colourful markings.   I've got the 1/72 Eduard weekend edition recent release of the Albatros DV  because of these lovely marking options.

Regards

Dave

On 12/19/2021 at 5:02 AM, Epeeman said:

Excellent work, Bill -

The German WW1 aircraft are always popular because of thier colourful markings.   I've got the 1/72 Eduard weekend edition recent release of the Albatros DV  because of these lovely marking options.

Regards

Dave

Dave,

Me too!   The latest Weekend Edition of the kit has that huge decal sheet, with 3 of the four options not done before in other releases!  They give you that big sheet of lozenge, too, and only one of the kit options uses it.  

One tip:   the decals in this kit stick ferociously.  Even on a glossy surface, they resist sliding into place, making fine tuning the positioning a challenge.   You need to put lots of water under them, and float them into place.  The upside is they are opaque, and really settle down well.

-Bill

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/19/2021 at 2:15 PM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Beautiful collection of colourful  albatri, I bet the complete collection look amazing together.

Thanks for posting

Colin

Colin,

They do!  Here’s a shot of the collection as it existed in March of 2022…

spacer.png

• Like 2

Added a new member added to the collection last month:

Another 1/72 Eduard D.V, this one with the special markings in the E-Day 2006 release: Olivier Freiherr von Beaulieu-Marconnay, Jasta 19.

spacer.png

I built this one to try out the AK Interactive German WW1 colors. Over the course of the collection builds, I have tried a variety of paints for the mauve and lilac colors.   I am really happy with the AK results- I think that will be the one to use going forward! 

Edited by RC Boater Bill
Fixed typos
  • Like 2