Final Score 2021: more props than jets for the first time!

Alan P

Not the prolific buildfest of last year's lockdown, but still managed a respectable double figures, one of which is probably the best model I've ever made.

In chronological order:

January:

tn_PXL_20210103_185208732

1/32 Trumpeter P-47D, with Kitsworld and HGW decals.

tn_Spit IIa (11)

1/32 Revell Spitfire IIa, built from the box with Colourcoats paints. A really easy build.

February:

tn_Harrier (31)

1/32 Revell Harrier GR1. Very modified from the re-issued, fifty year old kit. Really enjoyed the build and everything I tried worked!

tn_original_f5a3b068-a292-4745-b217-85066acb6a72_PXL_20210201_205815523

1/35 AH-1Z Viper. The new release Academy kit, absolutely brilliant to build, using the superb Flying Leathernecks decals.

March:

tn_Tornado F3 (201)

1/32 Revell Tornado GR1 converted to an EF-3 using Heritage Aviation set and lots of spare parts! Really pleased with this one.

April:

tn_Mirage IIIE (8)

1/32 Revell (Italeri) Mirage IIIE. Built OOB with the excellent kit decals.

tn_Spitfire Mk (3)

1/32 Revell Spitfire IXc built from the box again, with aftermarket decals for CF Gray's Malta Spit.

May:

tn_Beaufighter (21)

1/32 Revell Beaufighter IF built OOB. This was technically not completed as I abandoned it right at the end, but it still counts!

June:

tn_Mosquito VI (81)

1/32 Revell Mosquito IV converted to an FB.VI using Grey Matter nose and lots of scratchbuild bits. Xtradecal for a Canadian Banff Strike Wing machine.

July/August:

tn_Hellcat (101)

The mighty Airfix 1/24 Hellcat upgraded to an NF.II. This is probably the best model I've ever made. Certainly the best kit I've ever used.

September:

tn_Tempest V (69)

1/32 Revell (Special Hobby) Tempest V, with Barracuda nose  and spinner set. Home made decals for a V1 hunting aircraft from an NZ squadron in 1944. Beautiful kit and excellent to build.

October/November:

tn_Kurnass (123)

1/32 Tamiya F-4E Kurnass, built mostly OOB with additional bombs and stores from Videoaviation and spares. I won't be building another one as it's grossly overpriced for what it is.

Hopefully might be able to add the new tool Revell SR-71 which is on target for finishing...and it just squeaked in as my final effort of 2021:

tn_Habu (209)

Been a real up and down year but I've really enjoyed my modelling and the community spirit here in the absence of real life model club meetings. May it pick up in 2022!

Cheers :cheers:

Alan

• Like 33

• Alan P changed the title to Final Score 2021: more props than jets for the first time!

Great collection Alan,  still a very productive year too, I have to say the Hellact is something else and the Tonka, wow really enjoyed that one, they arexall looking rather splendid fella,  hope you can get the Blackbird over the line too.

Great work on all. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot gents!

18 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Wow, a terrific set of builds, Alan! Though where do you have the space to display them all?! 

This is the problem, I have to keep moving them on to make space for more!

tn_Habu (131)

The first two on the list have been sold on, the Beau is boxed up in the loft, and the Tornado is planned to move to a program office at work. The WW2 stuff will be finding new homes after Christmas.

Thanks again guys ☺️🙏

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Excellent work Alan, the Hellcat and especially the Cobra do it for me!

I'd have to agree Jeroen!

On 12/20/2021 at 2:08 PM, John Laidlaw said:

All excellent results... but that Hellcat shines. Wonderful stuff!

Thanks a lot John 👍

Great stuff all round as always mate, but the Hellcat is the shining light, stunning and inspirational (though I haven't cracked and bought one just yet!)

I love your finish on the models you build, Alan. I like how your weathering is there if you look for it but not in your face.

It makes such refreshing contrast when compared the current trend - seen so often nowadays - where you have to search for the aircraft through the excessive filth applied - which rarely bears any resemblance to the real subject. Brilliant stuff. 

The Hellcat and the Tornado are my personal favourites - although I’d be proud of each and every one of them. 

All the best for 2022!

Tom

Gidday Alan, although a ship modeler I have a penchant for the big twin-engined fighters of WW2, so naturally I gravitate towards your Beaufighter and Mozzie. But I must admit the P-47 is rather eye catching. The nose art? 😛 And looking at your shelf of models I've never seen an albino SR-71 before. 😁

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...