Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerit and Ambush Camouflage

SC2015

Good day,

I was hoping to find some help here.

After only  building aircrafts my passion turned back onto fighting vehicles.

I could manage to buy Meng´s King Tiger with a zimmerit sheet but am now struggeling with the camo pattern.

My favorite would be the ambush pattern but I don´t find pictures of KT with zimmerit and ambush camo pattern.

A string on finescale states that between August 44 and September 44 some KT with zimmerit coating were factory painted in ambush pattern.

Can somebody here provide pictures of such KT´s`? 

If not, is it know how many were build and to which unit they were deployed?

Thanks.

There is only about a three week period where zimmerit and ambush paint scheme overlapped.  According to Tomas Chory, a directive was released on 7th September 1944 that ended the application of this special coating.  The decision to paint camouflage directly on production vehicles was made some time during August of the same year.   According to Chory, this wasn't immediate either, as official camouflage schemes were 'gradually transferred to all the manufacturers.'  There was also the procurement of camouflage paints by the factories to consider, as up till that point camouflage was applied in the field.

Taking a look at the more 'hardcore' forum missinglynx, this is discussed at length on many threads.  Although some say the combination is possible, there have been no photos, or at least one of definite quality, to illustrate this.

One interesting mention is of Pz Abt 503 as this unit was rebuilding, it apparently  received the last of the zimmerit King Tigers.   There is film of the unit on parade sometime around October 1944. and it is interesting the zim Tigers have a different camouflage compared to later style ambush with dots:

2957525_bb4adbb11d7ac5f1704fe505110947ae

spacer.png

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jack, I take this as a "no" and after some research I strongly agree.

Taking into account how long it takes today to get paint from a supplier into a factory (according to the specification) I highly doubt factories had the paint available when the order to stop coating zimmerit was issued.

It might only apply to tanks already  finished and standing in the yard wainting for the paint job. 

Anyway, I paint it not in ambush but so far not sure how.

Simply don´t find most patterns on Henschel with zimmerit very appealing.....

One other unit I seen mentioned over at missinglynx  was Pz Abt 506 as a possibility.   The unit comprised of only a third of the later  non-zimmerit Tigers during the Bulge battles.  The remainder had the coating, but again photos do not clearly show the type of scheme.  One of the better known photos is the American captured Tiger that has a star draped over the turret and hull:

Konigstiger_and_american_soldiers-.jpg

Of interest is this thread, though the usual warning about artist interpreted illustrations:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/trumpetertiger2/camo-scheme-and-markings-questions-t1048.html

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

505 had Zimmed KT's too.

Chiselled away a square on the turret to apply the 'Ritter'.

And their DG/CB camo been debunked by David Parker, as with near certainty having been standard three tone.

I hadn't heard this info before. I liked the brown and yellow scheme but adding green too is interesting.

3 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I hadn't heard this info before. I liked the brown and yellow scheme but adding green too is interesting.

I think it used to be on the AFV modeller forum, but all pics are gone.

Might be in his book though:

https://www.amazon.com/Superking-Building-Trumpeters-Schale-Tiger/dp/0955541379

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...