Titanic's Lifeboat 1/35th scale

Noel Smith

Just recently I have been bought as a birthday present a plank on frame wood kit of one of Titanic's life boats by a company named Artesania Latina.

An unusual subject and taking me out of my comfort zone from plastic to wood. I like a bit of a challenge so it should be an interesting model to build.

• Like 3

Don't get too comfy yet David.   I'm building another model at present that will take me months to complete.

There is an American named Ken who describes his build on YouTube that you will probably find interesting plus a couple of others in German and Russian.

If anyone else out there has already built the Titanic Lifeboat kit and reading this, I would be very interested to learn from your experience.

• 8 months later...

There are things that are wrong in the Artesania Latina kit. The keel shape in the kit is rounded at both ends and just does not look right. Fortunately the laser cut fret has enough material on it to be able to cut out and add pieces cut to the correct shape and mate perfectly with the kit part. The supplied 1.5 mm thick basswood planking for the clinker built hull are a bit too thick to be easily workable. I resorted to cutting lengths of 1mm plywood to replace the kit items and found it more forgiving. So far so good. It will be interesting to see how this kit builds up overall in the long run. Building a clinker planked hull on a first wood boat model proves that I must be a masochist! But I will persevere and am half way up the hull just now.

Edited by Noel Smith

1 hour ago, Noel Smith said:

There are things that are wrong in the Artesania Latina kit. The keel shape in the kit is rounded at both ends and just does not look right. Fortunately the laser cut fret has enough material on it to be able to cut out and add pieces cut to the correct shape and mate perfectly with the kit part. The supplied 1.5 mm thick basswood planking for the clinker built hull are a bit too thick to be easily workable. I resorted to cutting lengths of 1mm plywood to replace the kit items and found it more forgiving. So far so good. It will be interesting to see how this kit builds up overall in the long run. Building a clinker planked hull on a first wood boat model proves that I must be a masochist! But I will persevere and am half way up the hull just now.

It's not to late to post a Work in Progress thread about the lifeboat. That would be very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Not sure how to load pictures onto this site.

The insert image from URL button. Can I just drag and drop from my PC?

Or will I have to go to the faff of loading them onto a picture hosting site like drop box first?

Unfortunately, you have to host your own pictures elsewhere and then embed them here. It is a faff but the cost to Britmodeller of hosting all of our pictures would be prohibitive. I use  Microsoft's One Drive which only costs me £2 a month for more space than I will ever need.

5 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Not sure how to load pictures onto this site.

The insert image from URL button. Can I just drag and drop from my PC?

Or will I have to go to the faff of loading them onto a picture hosting site like drop box first?

I use pinterest.com

I have been looking at those plus some stills on the web. There is a nice set of plans on the web too.

The YouTube link Rayprit posted will be very useful to modellers of this subject.

It is how I found out about the inaccuracies in the AL kit. With so much information available I cannot understand how they got so much wrong on it in the first place. The keel in the kit is rounded off at each end and just looks wrong without looking at any reference material.

I will keep going with it and modifying it as I go along. I have substituted the 1.5 thick planks for the clinker with 0.75 mms ply strips. The kit items were far too thick and very difficult to flex into shape.

I will get there.   Eventually!

Edited by Noel Smith
Typo
  • Like 1