Windows 10 issues, help requested if possible

Tony C

I have a Windows 10 issue that I’d like to ask if anyone here can resolve!

2 days ago, when I switched on my machine (Acer), before I could doing anything, the computer went into automatic update mode and when finished, I was left with a screen, as shown below.

51753133286_aeb2de67cd_c.jpg

There is no possibility to click on any icon beyond the Ease of Access icon at the the lower left corner of the picture, which only allows you to change audio control, magnification, on screen keyboard, plus a couple of others, with a voice saying that the computer will remember these settings!

To get rid of this screen, I shut down and restarted and was able to continue without any problems!
Job done I thought, until yesterday (& today) whereby I get the same screen but despite restarting, shutdown and restarting multiple time, I cannot get beyond this ‘screen’!

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea, beyond hitting it with a sledge hammer, how to resolve the issue?

Many thanks, am at work until 06:00 so apologies if I don’t respond quickly!

Hi, do you have an Acer laptop or desktop computer ? If you have a laptop unplug the monitor and start the laptop to view the screen on your laptop, then hopefully you can cancel the update. The other option could be on your monitor as it looks like it is not showing the complete screen.

Regards

Robert

2 minutes ago, Robert said:

looks like it is not showing the complete screen.

I'd say that's where you'd find the buttons that would actually allow you to do something.  I suspect your screen's not configured for this graphics mode/resolution, so have a fiddle with the OSD for the monitor, and if there's an automatic calibration option, poke that :)

Well, no luck, as there no external buttons to press (it's an Acer Aspire C24 All-in-One desktop)!

Seems that all I can do is...

Switch the PC on which allows me to...

Enter Passcode, which then proceeds to the screen shown above.

If I press Ctrl-Alt-Del, I get the option list of 'Lock', Switch User', 'Sign out' or 'Task Manager'!

All these option simple lead me back to the screen shown above.

When pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del, the other options shown in the lower right hand corner are an Internet icon, Ease of Access icon and the Power button, which all lead back to the above screen!

I've tried pressing a few keyboard keys without any success, could it be that there is a combination of keyboard keys, which would allow me to reset the screen resolution?

Any further help that could be offered to this bumbling, technologically ungifted muppet, would be gratefully received!

Thanks for the advise so far received!

Tony C

Edited by Tony C

Sadly, it’s a bit typical of Microsoft’s lack of consideration for legacy tech when it comes to upgrading their OSes. I think they expect you to just skip your machine and buy a brand new one. My workshop PC is perfectly serviceable across two screens despite being relatively old, and runs W10 perfectly well. It just can’t run W11 though, because it doesn’t have a Trusted Platform Module 2.0 (TPM2), so I’m stuffed. I don’t mind though, as I’m happy with W10 for now, and will seriously consider moving away from Microsoft altogether when it comes time for it. The way Apple are going with their new silicon, they might well have the ability to run Windows virtually on MacOS.  Whether that’s affordable is another thing though. :shrug:

@Tony C Watch this. The decline button is low on the left hand side of the screen.

Does not solve getting the full picture but at least you know what you're looking for.

Ray

Tony, when that screen appears on your monitor can you use the down arrow key so that the screen would scroll up within that window ?

Regards

Robert

Microsoft is now trying to do an "Apple" - force you to buy THEIR hardware at THEIR prices. Of course they will restrict what applications can be used on it.

Why not eschew Microsoft altogether and try Linux Mint?

Extremely easy to install, works on practically any PC, comes with its own software package, gets updated regularly WITHOUT trashing the installation.

It respects your privacy (no "telemetry") and it's incredibly stable.

A few weeks ago I replaced the motherboard plus a new processor and RAM-memory (basically a new computer) AND still used the existing Linux Mint  installation.

It ticks on without a hiccup!

BTW both Apple's and Microsoft's latest OS are mostly "castrated" Linux code.

After 30+ years of Microsoft I made the jump to Linux three years ago. Now I wonder why I waited for so long :)

Cheers, Moggy (35 years of IT experience - 90 % Microsoft products)

Nope, nothing seems to work :wall::dalek::angry::boom:

I wouldn't mind if it was an old unit but I only bought it 18 months ago, though I guess that 18 months in the Tech World is like 1000 years, in the real world!

Will continue to play but again, many thanks for all the advise offered :yes:

You could try booting into safe mode, methods 2 & 4 in the link below may be the easiest to access, It will load a very basic version of windows.

From there you should have access to various diagnostic tools e.g 'trouble shooter'

Even a simple restart from safe mode might by itself be sufficient to clear the issue.

safe mode link

Note: Whlst the link does give free advice it does end with essentilly a promotion of a posible, 'paid for', software solution that may or not work. There are many other software vendors doing the same. I have no connection with any of them and have never purchased any of their 'solutions' to achieve what can usually done for free.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:06 PM, Ray_W said:

@Tony C Watch this. The decline button is low on the left hand side of the screen.

Does not solve getting the full picture but at least you know what you're looking for.

Ray

Hang on: that offers serious options though. I bet you could use the keyboard shortcuts to get out of this mess.

[TAB] usually switches between the buttons. So click the picture, then 2x [TAB] - the first one selects the 'new and different' link, the second the 'decline upgrade' button.
Enter will confirm your choice.

--

PS: as lifelong IT support dude it irks me to no end seeing things like  "force you to buy THEIR hardware at THEIR prices" or " lack of consideration for legacy tech ".

1) NO THEY DON'T. As proven by the very existence of Dell, Acer, Asus, whatever brand you can name. In fact, the Surface line is as niche as it can be. 

2) I'd wager Microsoft is one of the best at supporting old sh1$  in this world next to Linux. This particularly dumb example is entirely on the ODM/OEM - Acer - cutting corners on the display screen used. 

I'm totaly confused now, woke up, switched on the PC, up came the 'new' screen!

Try restarting it one more time before I trot off to PC World to see if they can offer any advise, PC restarts and lo and behold, everything is back to normal!

I've restarted it several times without issues and everything works as it should!

I did nothing apart from restarting the bloody thing, never touched any keys so one question, WHY?

I've come to the conclusion that all PC's are female because I don't know how they work either!

On 21/12/2021 at 11:58, alt-92 said:

PS: as lifelong IT support dude it irks me to no end seeing things like  "force you to buy THEIR hardware at THEIR prices" or " lack of consideration for legacy tech ".

1) NO THEY DON'T. As proven by the very existence of Dell, Acer, Asus, whatever brand you can name. In fact, the Surface line is as niche as it can be. 

2) I'd wager Microsoft is one of the best at supporting old sh1$  in this world next to Linux. This particularly dumb example is entirely on the ODM/OEM - Acer - cutting corners on the display screen used.

You work at Microsoft??

Re 1) IN THE FUTURE if the maker of hardware ( Dell, Acer, Asus, whatever brand you can name) doesn't fork out a "fee" and agree to toe the MS line it doesn't get "trusted system module" status. Imagine how this will turn out when remembering MS's history of monopolistic practices. 🙄

Re 2) Your "wager" is ridiculous :P.

I install Linux desktops in ancient hardware  for other people regularly. The record is Pentium 4 machines. Win XP runs like molasses in it; Lubuntu runs like a dream. This means that people with little disposable income can buy an old PC very cheap and have a full modern system up in no time and do anything you can do in Win 10 (except getting hacked by MS to force their crap on you).

Try to run Win 10 in an old computer (anything from i5 CPU 4Gb RAM with an old graphic card backwards - molasses if it starts at all. You can install Linux desktops in just about anything and it will work brilliantly - together with its application package (world class stuff). Anybody can write code for Linux - and when in doubt it can be checked.  😎

...and all this without MS harvesting your data and selling it to the corp with the most £ 

Of course you can run a Linux desktop in a top of the line PC and get more from it too.  😇

Best example of Microcrap shafting the consumer: forced "update" to Win 10 - the OS nobody wanted. Trashed Win7 to make sure of that. MS was forced to continue to support Win 7 for Big Business because most corps flatly refused to leave an excellent well-established OS (probably the best MS ever made) for Win 10 in which they had no confidence whatsoever.

You don't consider the latest Win 11 crap intrusion an abuse?!? I'm sure that the owners of computers malfunctioning after the latest MS hack disagree with you.

Cheers, Moggy (did Win 10 beta-testing and release candidate too)

This isn't a court - and what you call "accusations" are a matter of public record.

Do some googling and widen your horizons. BTW be careful with sources.

Have a happy Christmas, IT support dude :)

Cheers, Moggy,