An Indecisive Pirate Ship - *FINISHED!*

djktrumpet

OK, I'm in.

Here's a Tamiya 1/48 Corsair, which was started several years ago. I bought this boxing in part because I liked the pirate flag badge on the nose (OK, I'm shallow, I know!), but then at some point thought I would do it as a FAA aircraft, so chopped the wingtips off. When I came back to it recently, I thought I'd rather just go back to my original plan and use the box decals for 'Big Hog', so I've rebuilt the wingtips with plastic card. In theory there now shouldn't be a lot of work before I can start getting paint on. It was always going to be a more or less OOB build, so I haven't done anything fancy in the cockpit. Have just been filling some ejector pin marks in the main gear legs.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

Are you REALLY sure you do not want to do an FAA Corsair?

There is still time to trim the wing tips again! If I were you...

JR

• Haha 4

A few bits and bobs done today. I've cleaned up most of the component parts, and started painting up some of them - some colour on the prop tips and spinner, and chromate yellow on the insides of the gear doors. A bit of work next to get the main airframe ready for paint...

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

I've fitted the dropped flaps - which on reflection might have been a bit rash, as it's probably going to make the masking more complicated. 😜

spacer.png

Also, I had a look at the engine, which I'd already done some basic paintwork on. I've remembered I have an etched ignition harness left over from my Eduard Hellcat, having opted to scratch build one for the recent Hellcat GB. It's the same engine, so looks as though it should fit OK - it's a  bit 2D but will add a bit of interest to the engine.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by djktrumpet
Typo
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Making slow progress on this. What would we call a GB for models that didn't get finished on a KUTA GB? KUTKUTA? 😜

Anyhoo, I'm quite pleased with how the engine turned out using the Eduard ignition harness, and I've got most of the sub-assemblies painted up. The airframe is just about ready for paint, so hopefully I should be able to move forward a bit quicker now.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

USN Aircraft Sea Blue...

spacer.png

And finally the big reveal:

spacer.png

It's always slightly anxiety-inducing, peeling off the masking tape and blu-tack sausages, but I'm fairly happy with how it's looking at this stage. I've gone for slightly softened demarcations between colours, and the pre-shading is barely visible, which is what I was shooting for. Right, on with gloss coat and decals!

• Like 8

Decalling completed, and ready for some weathering! I had some issues with the Tamiya decals - maybe because they're a bit old, but quite a few of them broke up during application. They seem to have settled down OK though.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit focussed on other things the past couple of weeks, but have made some progress. I've done some light weathering - panel line wash, salt weathering and dot filter with oil paints. I think I could have gone a bit heavier with the white overspray of the salt weathering, but otherwise I'm reasonably happy. The matt coat has come out a bit less matt than I wanted, though, so I'll go over that again, but I think I'm getting there!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

It's spot the deliberate mistake time. See that little note in the instructions that say "Remove"? The little flashed-over slot for the antenna mast?

spacer.png

Er - I didn't.

spacer.png

OK, where's me drill...

🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't need the drill in the end - I just chopped the spigot off the mast and glued it on - the aerial wire doesn't attach to the top of the mast in this case, so there's no tension on the mast.

Well, I'm calling this finished. I've always liked the Corsair, and this is the first one I've built since I was a kid - the Tamiya kit famously goes together very nicely, and overall I'm happy with the outcome. As ever, there are things I'd do slightly differently another time (like not chopping the wingtips off and then rebuilding them, ha ha!), but nice to get it finished after languishing on the shelf of shame (actually in the box of shame) for several years. Here's a couple of pics on a USN carrier deck display base, and I'll post a few more in the gallery.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• djktrumpet changed the title to An Indecisive Pirate Ship - *FINISHED!*