Caproni Ca.111 C, 65 Sq. RA, 1935-6 Italian invasion on Abyssinia (Broplan 1/72)

JWM

Hi,

My fourth machine of  Regia Aeronautica from Italian invasion on Abyssinia in 1935-36. This is Caproni Ca. 111 C belonging to 65 Sq. RA. This was a second main derivative of Caproni high-wing colonial bomber/transport machines, next to three engine Caproni Ca 101 .  The Ca 111 had single Isotta Fraschini Asso 18 cylinders W engine. It was used also as strategic recce machine due to relatively long range. More on this type here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Ca.111

The kit is Broplan "advanced vacu" (with injected small parts), very nice kit, athough not well detailed regarding undersurfaces. I started construct it within "Nothing but injected" GB, however did not  manage to finish on time. Some record of work is here: 

Here is the result:

51755041930_2efd0133e0_b.jpg

51754812799_89c5cc49c3_b.jpg

51754170071_c95f655efd_b.jpg

51755042145_b9e1f1669f_b.jpg

51754411783_5cb33d1551_b.jpg

51754813044_62f34e9a9e_b.jpg

51753339262_51be5af5c3_b.jpg

51754813344_b1691a99e4_b.jpg

51754813394_eaa9bf4f3a_b.jpg

And my shelf (the top one) with machines from Ilaian invasion on Abyssinia, from left Fiat CR 20, Caproni Ca 101, Capronie Ca 111, Romeo Ro 1 and Ethiopian Farman 192:

51753339537_54df8acf7c_b.jpg

This is mine #20 in this year, very likely this is the final score (still it is possible +1...)

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks really nice. It's been really colourful in war zone.

Vesa, thank you. The bright colors ("anticamouflage") were a result of risk analyses. Since the Abyssinian aviation was very weak or almost non-existing the risk of attack on Italian machines  on ground was close to zero, but risk of non finding crashed or shot down machines in vast areas in Ethiopia interior to pick up crew was serious, so the bright colors and geometric,, not natural, pattern were thought to help spotting of lost airplanes on ground. 

4 hours ago, pheonix said:

Nice to see these rarer types being modelled, and from an interesting period in aviation history. An excellent model - glad you took your time to finish it and did not rush and spoil it.

P

Pheonix, thank you. Still I have to finish the third Caproni, Ca.133 which I started within Africa GB....

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Unususual and interesting subject exceptionally well made from a vac.  I think you may have swayed me to buy the LF kit of this as I was looking for something completley different to make.

Pete

Thank you. 

Regarding LF kit 0 it is not exactly the Ca.111 but earlier variant Ca.101,  The kit by LF is improved Fly kit, with some new resin parts and corrected painting schemes, I build the Ca. 101 as well this year 

And now I am working on scratch conversion of Ca. 101 into larger Ca. 133... Small chances to finish it before New Year, still it is possible...

Best regards and 

Marry Christmas to all BM fellows!

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 18/12/2021 at 10:34, JWM said:

Hi,

My fourth machine of  Regia Aeronautica from Italian invasion on Abyssinia in 1935-36. This is Caproni Ca. 111 C belonging to 65 Sq. RA. This was a second main derivative of Caproni high-wing colonial bomber/transport machines, next to three engine Caproni Ca 101 .  The Ca 111 had single Isotta Fraschini Asso 18 cylinders W engine. It was used also as strategic recce machine due to relatively long range. More on this type here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Ca.111

The kit is Broplan "advanced vacu" (with injected small parts), very nice kit, athough not well detailed regarding undersurfaces. I started construct it within "Nothing but injected" GB, however did not  manage to finish on time. Some record of work is here: 

Here is the result:

51755041930_2efd0133e0_b.jpg

51754812799_89c5cc49c3_b.jpg

51754170071_c95f655efd_b.jpg

51755042145_b9e1f1669f_b.jpg

51754411783_5cb33d1551_b.jpg

51754813044_62f34e9a9e_b.jpg

51753339262_51be5af5c3_b.jpg

51754813344_b1691a99e4_b.jpg

51754813394_eaa9bf4f3a_b.jpg

And my shelf (the top one) with machines from Ilaian invasion on Abyssinia, from left Fiat CR 20, Caproni Ca 101, Capronie Ca 111, Romeo Ro 1 and Ethiopian Farman 192:

51753339537_54df8acf7c_b.jpg

This is mine #20 in this year, very likely this is the final score (still it is possible +1...)

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Nice work. I have seen that you had a nice Spanish Civil war planes collection. I have also more than 200 planes of this period, both side.

Alain

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Nice work. I have seen that you had a nice Spanish Civil war planes collection. I have also more than 200 planes of this period, both side.

Alain

Alain, thank you. My SCW collection is smaller, some forty of them (both sides) what forms ~10% of whole set. In stash I have next perhaps 10 to do.  Have you shown some of them here in RFI or elsewhere in Net?

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JWM said:

Alain, thank you. My SCW collection is smaller, some forty of them (both sides) what forms ~10% of whole set. In stash I have next perhaps 10 to do.  Have you shown some of them here in RFI or elsewhere in Net?

Regards

J-W

No, I have no camera when I make these models,  I made also "camion blindado" from scratch in 1/72, perhaps one day, I would take pictures of my old models.

I have also models from Sino - Japanese war, Finish winter and continuation war. About 3200 models made. Most in 1/72.

Alain

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

No, I have no camera when I make these models,  I made also "camion blindado" from scratch in 1/72, perhaps one day, I would take pictures of my old models.

I have also models from Sino - Japanese war, Finish winter and continuation war. About 3200 models made. Most in 1/72.

Alain

I am deeply impressed by the number!  ~3200! - that is really a huge number... Given you do them for 50 years it is 60 models per year, so each 6 day one! 

I am approaching to 500 and it seem to me a large set (ok, in my life I have done  some 200 more, which went to people), anyway this must be an incredible collection...

Best regards and please make some photos to show in RFI...

J-W

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JWM said:

I am deeply impressed by the number!  ~3200! - that is really a huge number... Given you do them for 50 years it is 60 models per year, so each 6 day one! 

I am approaching to 500 and it seem to me a large set (ok, in my life I have done  some 200 more, which went to people), anyway this must be an incredible collection...

Best regards and please make some photos to show in RFI...

J-W

Right, 50 years of modeling, first with my dad (400) than alone. I have still all my models, most in glassed case. And counting 3 models a week. Your number is nice too.

Merry Christmas

Alain

• Like 1

Erratum.

As I already mentioned I am working now on Caproni 133. Looking at many photos and drawings I have found out two necessary corrections to be done to my Ca 111. First were two more frames on the largest window of canopy:

51771451972_aac3ec17ac_b.jpg

The second one (also seen above) is much narrow position where rigging comes to tailplane and where struts comes to it from bottom. It should be the same as in case of Ca 101, the Broplan kit has too long struts.

Here it is well seen, how it is now after correction

51772274586_8a00da6b56_b.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

What a well modelled Caproni. Striking paint scheme. Always liked the overall cream finish of Italian machines of this period. Very nice collection of less commonly modelled types from the interwar period. Particularly like the big Heinkel He 59. The only surviving scale model of my Dad's that I ever saw (when I was 6ish) was a carved wooden rendering of one of these, overall white with Red Cross crosses. It left an indelible impression.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 5:51 PM, Maginot said:

What a well modelled Caproni. Striking paint scheme. Always liked the overall cream finish of Italian machines of this period. Very nice collection of less commonly modelled types from the interwar period. Particularly like the big Heinkel He 59. The only surviving scale model of my Dad's that I ever saw (when I was 6ish) was a carved wooden rendering of one of these, overall white with Red Cross crosses. It left an indelible impression.

Thank you! The anticamouflage is not that easy to do too keep all straight and parallel one to another and symmetric... 

My Spanish set contains some 40 models, yet some 10 in stash... He-59 is surprisingly massive machine, looking like a bit non in scale one...  The wooden one of your Dad must be great!

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kriss said:

Very nice model, congratulations.

Thank you!

21 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

OK Jerzy………I`m dropping what I`m doing and coming to visit you to gaze upon your beautiful museum in miniature.  :coolio: :goodjob:

Mike

Mike, many thanks, welcome, drop me a line when you are coming! :) There are some more interesting things to visit in Krakow and nearby, so it could be a good idea to come... 

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Wonderful job Jerzy , congratulations mate.

:partytime:

Cheers Pat 

Pat, many thanks! 

All the for incoming New Year

Regards

J-W

On 12/31/2021 at 1:28 AM, Pyradus said:

Excellent model of this recce aircraft... must look into some machines using the "anticamouflage" line of thought. Happy New Year.

Many thanks! There were some Italians of those years painted in anticamouflage: Capronis Ca 101,111,133  & 309.  Romeo Ro 37 and Ro 1 (and silver variant of it on Ro 43,44), Savoia SM 81, I have not seen SM 79 with it, likely this type came into service a bit later.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1