The Finnish Air Force Fouga Magister CM.170

Einar

In my opinion, one of the most elegant post-war aircraft of the Finnish Air Force was the French manufactured pilot trainer jet Fouga Magister CM.170. A total of some eighty Fougas served in the FAF between 1958-88. There are still a couple of airworthy Fougas left seen mainly in air shows. This plane type was also used by many other countries for pilot training purposes but in Israel the Fouga Magisters were also operational in combat duties during the six days war in 1967. One distinctive feature of the plane was the very loud, high-pitch whistling of its two Turbomeca Maribore turbo jets.

I built the Fouga from a Kinetic 1/48 scale dual combo kit . My model depicts the Fouga Magister FM-45 in the markings of the Pilot Training Squadron of the Aerial Combat School in 1987. The very plane is nowadays in display at the Finnish Air Force museum in Tikkakoski, Central Finland.

The quality of the Kinetic kit was quite ok but the instruction sheet was really poor with a lot of errors and omissions. Without the info and the pictures on the net it would have been difficult to finish the build successfully. The decals for the model were from Max Decals and the day-glo strips I made from a Microscale's decal sheet.

I painted the model with Alclad White Aluminium plus some panels and details with Vallejo Air silver, aluminium and steel. For the cockpit I bought masking tapes from Montex. I also scratch built and amended a lot of FAF details to the model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The last flight of FM-45 in 1987

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Einar said:

whistling of its two Turbomeca Maribore turbo jets

Marboré...

I always wonder why people seem to go half blind when they come across French words/names - they use the same alphabet, you know. 😏

Very nice model. The Finnish Magisters look very 'bare naked' (polished) metal IRL. White aluminium gives the impression of a paint job with aluminium paint (as happens to a lot of museum exhibits).

It's your choice, of course, and very well executed it was, too. 👍

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ivand said:

Marboré...

I always wonder why people seem to go half blind when they come across French words/names - they use the same alphabet, you know. 😏

Very nice model. The Finnish Magisters look very 'bare naked' (polished) metal IRL. White aluminium gives the impression of a paint job with aluminium paint (as happens to a lot of museum exhibits).

It's your choice, of course, and very well executed it was, too. 👍

Je suis désolé Ivand! Thank you / merci pour tes commentaires👍

Einar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Moi!

I have serviced FM-45 as conscript ground crew man first half of 1986 at Kauhava AFB. Should have some crappy photo of it. I am pretty sure -86 was the last year Fougas flew as trainers there.

Helped MaxDecals with the Finnish stencils and some little else, too. You have put them in to good use.

Good model!

Cheers,

Kari

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kari Lumppio said:

Moi!

I have serviced FM-45 as conscript ground crew man first half of 1986 at Kauhava AFB. Should have some crappy photo of it. I am pretty sure -86 was the last year Fougas flew as trainers there.

Helped MaxDecals with the Finnish stencils and some little else, too. You have put them in to good use.

Good model!

Cheers,

Kari

Hi Kari.

Thank you / kiitos very much for your message. It's really interesting to hear that you have serviced the very FM-45 and helped in designing the decals. ..and it's nice to know that you liked the model👍

Cheers

Einar 

3 hours ago, Maginot said:

Very nice result. The airfield backdrop is excellent for atmospheric photos.

Thank you very much for the positive comments!

Cheers,

Einar 

• Like 1

What's not to like? It's a Magister and it's in Finnish colors and markings! Very nice model; when I get around to my 1/72 kit, I hope I can do half as good a job. Bet even our two 'Antti's' will like this one! @antti @Antti_K A Finnish Mig-15UTI would look neat alongside this one! :like:

Mike 

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

What's not to like? It's a Magister and it's in Finnish colors and markings! Very nice model; when I get around to my 1/72 kit, I hope I can do half as good a job. Bet even our two 'Antti's' will like this one! @antti @Antti_K A Finnish Mig-15UTI would look neat alongside this one! :like:

Mike 

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your positive comments and thoughts. I will model a Mig-15UTI in the near future. I already have the kit  in my stash😀

Cheers

Einar 

• Like 1

Terve Einar,

stunning work! I guess this is the best model of a Finnish Magister I've ever seen. You really nailed the surface; it looks just right. Bare aluminium with slight oxidation. I think that very few people realize, how hard it is to polish a real Magister. I did it once with a school mate some 30+ years ago... Is the scenery from Kauhava?

Kyllä sä vedät hyvin😉

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Terve Einar,

stunning work! I guess this is the best model of a Finnish Magister I've ever seen. You really nailed the surface; it looks just right. Bare aluminium with slight oxidation. I think that very few people realize, how hard it is to polish a real Magister. I did it once with a school mate some 30+ years ago... Is the scenery from Kauhava?

Kyllä sä vedät hyvin😉

Cheers,

Antti

Suurkiitos kehuista Antti / Thank you for your positive comments, they really warm the old modeller's heart!

The scenery in the base is actually made by me from an enlarged forest photo and self-drawn airfield. It's nice to hear that it might resemble the Kauhava AFB.

Cheers,

Einar 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...