Piper PA24 Comanche - 1/48 Scratchbuild

ianwau

Comanches looking good!

Oh the LaLa-1!! It's also looking good. Can't wait to see the Lego riggers helping you with the tail surfaces on this one. Almost as complicated as a PL-7!

Edited by Derek_B
  • Like 1

Oh - sorry for being late on this one. How could this have passed me, always moaning there are no kits of light aircrafts around - and then this. 

What a wonderful build and idea - it partly encourages me by simple watching how beautiful this is done, and that it can be done! On the other hand it reminds me of the limitations of my modelling skills and timely restrictions. I did think about scratchbuilding my own 1/48 Beechcraft Baron, but seeing this I guess this will never leave the drating sketch that I keep between my ears...

Follow your build instead, if I may? 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 4:39 AM, ianwau said:

used butyrate before but after a bad batch thought I'd try the PETG

How did you know it was a 'bad batch' and was the PETG better? I use plain old PET.

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

How did you know it was a 'bad batch' and was the PETG better? I use plain old PET

The 'bad batch' of butyrate was forming micro-bubbles under heat - before reaching vacforming temperature - using the exact same process I've done dozens of times before. PETG vacforms much the same although a little more 'rubbery' when hot, and requires a touch more heat.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress.  Most of the activity has been spent getting the canopies blended in (Milliput is my go to for this) - several coats were required, with rattlecan Tamiya fine grey primer in between to reveal blemishes. I've had the masking tape off (nice clear canopies) but getting tired of taking it off between puttying/sanding/undercoating.  Next update for the reveal....

It's currently about 95% which was sufficient for me to fit the tailplanes - and to fit the tip tanks on the airframe that is tiptanked. Those will now require a bit of blending in. 

Also took the time to scribe in the control surfaces on the wings. Sort of wish I had done it earlier as was a bit awkward up close to the fuselage.

DSC04084

Next steps:

- Blend in the tail, tiptanks and minor blemishes around the canopy

- mask off the canopy for painting

- fit the undercarriage (so the model can sit on something other than itself for painting)

• Like 10

These are looking very sharp Ian!

Did you know that the all-flying horizontal "stabilator" of the Yeoman Cropmaster is identical to that of a Comanche? John Brown loved the design so much he had his designers Brian Wager and Bill Smith replicate it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derek_B said:

Did you know that the all-flying horizontal "stabilator" of the Yeoman Cropmaster is identical to that of a Comanche?

Interesting indeed Derek!  Thank you!  The Yeoman is on my list (already did the KS3 off your plans (again!). I'll touch base offline re the 'Airjeep' prototype that followed the Yeoman's at Bankstown...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update. Masking.

With the canopies now blended in to my satisfaction it was timely to move on to masking. A little tricky as there are no clearcut reference points that'd you'd normally get on a conventional kit.  Solution here is to mark out where the windows etc are with a 'negative mask'

DSC04111

Then once satisfied that everything is symetrical and reflecting the plans - backfill with the handcut 'positive' mask

DSC04113

After which a shot of undercoat(s) to create the colour of interior roof lining etc.. Also added a fillet in from of the vertical fin...

DSC04116

Next steps:

- fit the undercarriage - so it has something to sit on while painting.

- final sanding and prep, then=

- prime with Tamiya rattlecan fine white.

- Then mask for the red paint.

• Like 9

Comanches are looking great. I can see the issue with masking for the clear sections of glazing without any references. The "negative" masking is a great idea!

What do you think @k5054nz Zac? Two Fletchers back there (one piston, one turbine)? Or is it a Fletcher and a Cressco?  🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Derek_B said:

What do you think @k5054nz Zac? Two Fletchers back there (one piston, one turbine)? Or is it a Fletcher and a Cressco?  🤔

Looking at the tailcones a piston Fletcher and a Cresco! You may not be aware I worked for Wanganui Aero Work as an aircraft engineering apprentice and I was tasked with checking everything aft of the flaps!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

An overdue update.  Sydney weather has not been kind for painting (too wet and humid) but finally a brilliant Easter weekend.

- leading up to this weekend - I've been applying multi coats of Tamiya fine white primer (rattlecan), and finessing ready for paint. Also added some scrap sprue undercarriage (decided real undercarriage too risky at this stage - but needed something to keep the model above ground level) 

- masking the two Comanches basically took a whole day - they're complicated schemes, and required a bit of thought as to how to get all the curves etc right. 

- ended up overlaying the drawings with some decent side-on photos which gave a great cutting guide.

- (have been researching [ie procrastinating] about getting a Silhouette Cameo for mask cutting, and am now pretty sure this would have made the job easier. Nothing like a new learning curve?

- a shout out for AIZU micron masking tape.  I've used their 0.4mm and 0.7mm tape here (scales out as ~3/4" and ~1.5" in 1/48) - and no way I could have cut my own...

DSC04148

So here we are after a days worth of masking. Doesn't look like a days effort does it?  And I can assure you it's going to be removed it a whole lot less time than that after paint...

-  the wing masking is just blank A4 paper, I've found it a simple mechanism for masking off wings in particular - on the basis they're going to really only see a bit of overspray.

- One aircraft has black and red stripes. The plan is do the black first, mask off, then paint red.  Logic is the black is a whole lot easier to mask (ie they're less of it).  

DSC04149

And here's what they look like after the red (and black) paint.

- the initial red on the right hand model is Tamiya XF7 Red with a about 10% XF8 Blue to give a slight Burgundy colour

- the red on the left hand model is the same mix with a couple of drops of XF1 black to give a more Aged Burgundy colour. 

- My preference is spraying flat paints and apply the gloss (semi-gloss) afterwards. Haven't had huge success spraying gloss or semi-gloss colours but that's just me.  

DSC04154

And a short time later - off comes the masking

- I've actually skipped a couple of steps. 

- the main masking came off first (but leaving the canopy mask in situ)

- then hit it with Tamiya Semi-gloss Clear - out of a rattle can

- then remove the canopy mask. 

- there was a bit of clean up required here and there with some minor paint bleed..

- the one on the left has had home made decals applied at the front of the fuselage (black decals with 'white' lettering). the 'white' is actually from the original primer underneath - ie I purposely didn't this stripe black.   

DSC04155

And a different angle

- the one on the right has some sympathetic pin stripes on the tip tanks - but I'm going to do this with decals. They're ridiculous to try and mask 

DSC04157

Next steps:

- Proper undercarriage, doors etc

- Props ad some basic engine detail as visible from the front. 

- decals.

- bits. 

- the tiniest bit of weathering, just for scale effect.

Then we're going to be there...

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just stumbled across this, amazing work, with incredible skill and patience. I'll be following along as you head for the finish line.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A bit of time has elapsed since previous - with some other projects intervening.  But I'm pretty much calling this pair done - and will post some pix on "Ready for Inspection" shortly.  Have done the undercarriage, wheels/props/undercarriage doors/aerials - and there's a bit of fettling here and there.

VH-SME still has a couple of bits to truly finish - notably the tip tank pin stripes (going to apply home printed decals on my next print run once I fill up the A4 decal sheet) - and also VH-SME in white on the fuselage side (waiting for my Oramask delivery and cutting on my new Silhouette...). And then the nav lights. 

Thanks everyone for following - subject matter a bit offbeat - but no doubt there will be a sublime 1/48 multimedia Comanche kit released shortly (ref: a variant of Murphy's Law)

DSC04584 DSC04579 DSC04575

• Like 13