Vampire FB.5 seat

Pritch

My new 1/48 Airfix Vampire has arrived; 18 days for halfway round the world - well done Mr Hannant for this time of the year.

I've been tinkering with both Alley Cat and a Classic Airframes kits recently, never getting past the cockpit, and the one thing that struck me was the difference in the size of the seat. Alongside the other the seats from the other two, it looks like the wrong scale.

vampireseats.jpg

I did a bit of measuring. left to right, the Alley Cat seat is 9.3 mm across the seat pan, the Classic Airframes one (with my first attempt at modifying the back to the sort used by the RNZAF) is 9.5mm, and the Airfix one weighs in at 10mm. For what it's worth, the 1/72 plans by both Ian Huntley and Alf Granger scale up tp 9.5mm.

All very confusing. Is Airfix right and everyone else wrong?

I'm also working on the Airfix 1/48 Tiger Moth, and the seat in that is 7.8mm across the base. I know that Tiger Moth pilots don't wear any high-altitude gear, but ....

Tony P

Edited by Pritch
oops

Just because it was easy, the Trumpeter seat measures about 7.7mm inside dimension, and about 9mm outside width.  It is shaped rather like Alley Cat's, without the details on the sides, and maybe a bit taller, based on your photo (I don't know where my Alley Cat kit is offhand).  Much thinner edges compared to Airfix, too, and I'm certainly not impressed with the latter based on your photo!

Edit: to be clear, I am speaking only of the seat.  I have high hopes for the kit in general, which I expect to find under the tree in a week.

Edited by gingerbob

I thought the seat looked a little sparse and surprisingly large. 

Forgive my ignorance, but I assumed the fb5 had a bang seat.

Definitely one I can CAD and print, providing I can get proper confirmation on the seats size and perhaps some detailed images... Anyone able to help? 

33 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

I thought the seat looked a little sparse and surprisingly large. 

Forgive my ignorance, but I assumed the fb5 had a bang seat.

Definitely one I can CAD and print, providing I can get proper confirmation on the seats size and perhaps some detailed images... Anyone able to help? 

There was a recent thread in this section talking about the seat with images, but I can't find it now.

@david collins is building the kit and has images of his Hornet seat, so maybe a good contact for details, 

I though ejection seats were only fitted to certain export and licenced produced Vampires

Looking at your location, nip down the road to Southwards Museum,  they have a Vampire on a stand. You might be able to get look into the cockpit, or at least an idea of how tight the seat is in relation to the cockpit (might be able to scale from that?).

Thanks. Been there many times. It's way up in the air on the side of the hall on the far side -- good view of the wheel wells, but not a  hope in hell of seeing anything of the cockpit other than a glimpse of the pilot dummy's helmet. James Fahey has some good photos online.

I wonder how many were fitted with the style of seat you showed- I notice that others in NZ have the regular seat, though I didn't worry about whether they had actually been in service there.  In other words, what's the story behind your non-standard seat?

The NZAF flew FB.9s in Singapore and brought some back as instructional airframes. One is on a plinth at Ohakea, and another is at MoTaT in Auckland, where you can see that it has the standard RAF seat. As for the history of what was used locally I have no idea, but I did once have a conversation with an ex-airforce technician who had worked on Vampires: 'What were the seats made of?' "Metal" 'What colour were they?' "Green". (Well, it was a long time ago.) The seat pictured on Phillip Treweek's website is from NZ5769, an FB.5.

52 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I notice that others in NZ have the regular seat, though I didn't worry about whether they had actually been in service there.  In other words, what's the story behind your non-standard seat?

29 minutes ago, Pritch said:

who had worked on Vampires: 'What were the seats made of?' "Metal" 'What colour were they?' "Green". (Well, it was a long time ago.) The seat pictured on Phillip Treweek's website is from NZ5769, an FB.5.

The RNZAF purchased 2 lots of Vampires, early 1950's, mid-dish 1950's and later 1950's, extras as replacements for

attrition in the current Vampire fleet. These were all ex RAF, so would have arrived with whatever seats DeHavilland had put into

the Cockpits per respective Air Ministry/RAF Orders at the time.

NZ5769 was a mid 1950's purchased airframe.

This enlarged frontal photo of NZ5776 (BOC Mid 1950's), could be either formed seat or Metal

d6291e82-a91d-4b08-8df8-6a0a2ed8d67a.jpg

Full photo from RNZAF Museum

OhG9636-67.t5de98e5c.m600.xhOfv1gfL.jpg

(RNZAF Official - Air Force Museum of New Zealand - Used with Permissions)

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Is it possible that the metal seat was a locally produced modification, or fitted during it's time as an instructional airframe from another type and just fitted for something to sit on?

That's what I thought when I first saw it

Bingo! Thanks for that; I've ordered a Pavla seat, which looks like it'll do nicely for a 50s Vampire. With a Flightpath instrument panel and an Aeroclub vac canopy, I'm ready to go.

Thank you all for your input. And I'll donate the Airfix seat to one of my grandkids' Lego sets, where I think it belongs.

Edited by Pritch
  • Haha 1

On 12/19/2021 at 8:26 PM, Pritch said:

And I'll donate the Airfix seat to one of my grandkids' Lego sets, where I think it belongs.

Could you just swap it for a Lego seat?

4079b

• Haha 4

On 12/19/2021 at 8:26 PM, Pritch said:

Bingo! Thanks for that; I've ordered a Pavla seat, which looks like it'll do nicely for a 50s Vampire. With a Flightpath instrument panel and an Aeroclub vac canopy, I'm ready to go.

Thank you all for your input. And I'll donate the Airfix seat to one of my grandkids' Lego sets, where I think it belongs.

Where did you order it from? I have tried too but there seems to be a world shortage.

Having just gone over my kit for the first time, I wanted to mention that the kit seat isn't quite as awful as the top photo makes it look.  For one thing, there's a second with (not terribly impressive) belts molded on- the one pictured is intended for when the pilot is there.  Industrious people could probably sand the edges down considerably and end up with a decent looking seat, but I think a resin replacement is a good option.  That's as far as my own thinking/ research has gone at present.

bob

p.s. My general first impression of the kit is, "Ooh, I like this!"