Electric Guitar urgency adviced needed please for Christmas delivery

One 48

I know its OT, but I know we have other guitarists here too.

Its actually for myself, its been a crap year, some deaths in family, 2021 really has been my annus horriblus in lots of ways and looked at my balance, it seems I can afford a treat and maybe in time for Christmas delivery cheer, do enjoy guitar playing though and while far from expert, want to add one more Guitar to my collection this year if possible.

My Choices are between these two, really am torn.

Have a couple of good Fender Strats and precision Bass, but always fancied a good Fender Telecaster too, for looks it would be a Blonde one, simple and pure, used to follow Status Quo in my early teens, Iconic guitar and sound, but double single coil pick ups or the the ones with Bridge humbuckers?

Have a hankering towards the late great Eddie Van Halen too, and he designed a great guitar series that seems irresistible to me ... really am leaning to one.

What do you think Guitarists of Britmodeller? know I should really buy from a proper music shop, but have some credit to spend at Scan.co.UK

The Telecaster option I'm considering ... and EVH model below it.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/fender-player-telecaster-alder-body-maple-neck-maple-fingerboard-and-2-single-coil-pickups-buttersco

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evh-wolfgang-wg-standard-exotic-midnight-sunset

Thanks guys, had to order in time for Christmas, it will be a Tele next time for sure for my Guitar stable.

Those links from Scan, none were in stock so looked elsewhere and had made my mind up needed another guitar at this point, had bought from Guitar Guitar UK store before, so went looking there and bought a nice EVH Wolfgang std in green, also an EVH MXR Phase 90 pedal too ... used to own an original MXR Phase 90, highly regarded pedals back in the day, it will be fun to try it out again.

Thanks for the help. this is what i need am sure :)

Review here.

• Like 2

Go the Fender Player Tele.

I have a 2018 model (currently in open G tuning, with the low E string taken off ala Keef style!)

Had zero problems with mine.

✌️🤘

Doh!! Too late I see :lol: Enjoy the EVH.

Edited by Devo
  • Like 2

Too late, but another vote for the Tele.  I've put a couple together from parts and I've messed about with various combinations.   I prefer the classic Tele bridge pickup, but I don't care for the neck pickup as much...  I've had one set up as an Esquire and with a neck humbucker.  I'm thinking of trying a Filtertron or Dynasonic neck pickup at some point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Six97s said:

Too late, but another vote for the Tele.  I've put a couple together from parts and I've messed about with various combinations.   I prefer the classic Tele bridge pickup, but I don't care for the neck pickup as much...  I've had one set up as an Esquire and with a neck humbucker.  I'm thinking of trying a Filtertron or Dynasonic neck pickup at some point.

Same here; as an inveterate tinkerer I couldn't help but fiddle with my Teles.  One is an early 2000s Mex job that I dumped the electronics out of and replaced them with a single Bareknuckle Piledriver at the bridge, which runs through tone andvolume controls straight to the output jack.  I also put a black single-ply bakelite scratchplate on it and removed most of the finish from the neck.  This has been my main guitar for a few years, leaving my Les Pauls stuck in the cupboard. 

Another was a Squier Tele Custom when it was made, but the previous owner "upgraded" it by retrofitting a cheap Bigsby copy, mangling the bridge in the process, and chiselling out (with a screwdriver...) a cavity for a Tele bridge pickup.  His wiring was of terrible quality and questionable effect.  The whole thing was just a bag of parts, which I bought for fifty quid.  I stripped the body and refinished it in surf green nitrocellulose, which I then relic'd (properly, not with a sander...).  I also fitted a Bareknuckle Piledriver in the bridge and a Catswhisker Fat Moggy in the neck position.  All the hardware was replaced with Fender parts, which were then aged with ferric chloride, hydrochloric acid etc.  I sorted the fret ends, rubbed a lot of the finish off the neck, and it is now an absolute killer of a guitar.

Your idea of a Dynasonic or Filtertron could be great; my next Tele will have something extra in the neck, too - possibly a Creamery Jazzmaster pickup.

• Like 1

The EVH Wolfgang STD arrived for Christmas from Guitar Guitar UK, thanks to all who contributed to thread, it will be a Tele next time for sure.

I love it and the MXR Phase 90, have a few guitars now, this is my new go to one for practise.

Thanks again folks, Merry Christmas all.

7rDwhSF.jpg

DBJa0WY.jpg

XqUc7aB.jpg

EYp2EsB.jpg

MlllPic.jpg

Eb8jwrX.jpg

RAmXdGx.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

And, LOL, mean to go buy my Tele last week at last, but could not find one I liked, went for a Gibson SG, always wanted one too, have two Strats already, bought from Guitar Guitar UK again, great service from them.

I'm on a Guitar theme and roll again after a long period of absence, really enjoying getting into guitar playing again very much.

I will get a good Tele and LP one day for sure.

mqinL4t.jpg

TWke8an.jpg

bytVg8l.jpg

VCvBG2z.jpg

4qsRiqW.jpg

• Like 1