West African defender – Special Hobby Mirage F1AZ TR-KMP of the Armee de l’air Gabonaise – 1/72

On 12/17/2021 at 4:22 PM, Courageous said:

You've done yourself proud there Martin, well worth the effort, very nice :yes:.

Don't know how much longer I could have watched the build pre-primer, doing my eyes in :giggle:.

Stuart

Thanks a lot, Stuart. I think you are thinking about the Flogger, though, before I got primer on her ;).

On 12/17/2021 at 4:42 PM, Giorgio N said:

Another great model Martin, really well done ! And a very interesting subject too, I've wanted to build one for ages, very exotic

Thanks as always, Giorgio. You should pull yours off the shelf and give it a try. It builds up nicely. :)

On 12/17/2021 at 4:54 PM, Hook said:

Mighty fine! 

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre. I got there in the end :)

On 12/17/2021 at 5:34 PM, fox1_BE said:

That is a great looking model, Martin 👍

Very interesting combination of colours on that camo.

Great job,

Patrick

yes, Patrick, it is that scheme that drew me to her in the first place. It was that and the fact that it added to my African collection nicely.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:55 PM, Vultures1 said:

Excellent work Martin, and a great choice of less-often-seen markings - well done!

Thanks mate. You know me - I never follow the crowd ;)

On 12/17/2021 at 6:03 PM, Terry1954 said:

Really great result Martin. I love the finish.

Well done!

Terry

Thanks Terry. Those colours finally came together after a false start with the darker Sea Grey. I’m very happy.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:15 PM, Navy Bird said:

Very nicely done. The Gabonaise markings are unusual and not seen very often. I love it when a modeller chooses an unusual or obscure scheme. And I really like the shapes and stance of the Mirage F.1 - I should get my behind in gear and build one. Special Hobby is the ticket in 1:72 scale?

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I love the obscure and as far as Gabon is concerned this is my fourth build depicting that country. Yes, go with the SH kit. It is beautifully detailed. I have another to build as an Ecuadorean. 

On 12/17/2021 at 6:40 PM, SAT69 said:

Excellent work!

Thanks mate.

On 12/17/2021 at 9:54 PM, eng said:

Love this, a beautiful colour scheme. Fantastic build 

Eng

Thanks Eng :)

21 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Wow, this is Jolly good and love the choice of scheme, it is striking!!! Cheers

Thanks as always, Tom. :)

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great work!!

That is much appreciated, Werner :) 

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

What's not to like about an F.1.

I agree completely, Steve. She is a beautiful aeroplane. Thanks a lot for your comments.

12 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Very nice!

Saluti

Giampiero

Thanks Giampiero

11 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Excellent! Ive been thinking about getting the South african Kitting of this one. Think I will after seeing this little beauty. Love the Gabon scheme.

Pete

Go on, Pete, get one!! :) Thanks a lot for your kind comments

10 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Martin………….Impressive as usual.  I wonder what “obscure” type will be next.  Whatever it will be, I eagerly anticipate the posting. :like:

Mike

Thanks Mike :). Next is the MiG-23MF and then a Draken

10 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Excellent to see this completed. Looks very smartly painted in that cool colour scheme!

Ditto wot Sky Keg says above! Look forward to what's coming next!

Martin

Thanks Martin :). I have you to thank regarding the windscreen masking :). Although I said Flogger and Draken above I do have a Voodoo to finish first :)

9 hours ago, ForestFan said:

That’s very smart!

Thanks mate

7 hours ago, Big Dave S said:

Lovely!

I really appreciate that. Thanks

6 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I can only echo what everyone else has said - it's always nice to see a Mirage is an unusual scheme. Great stuff :like:

Thank you mate. I will continue to fly the flag for the unusual :)

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

Nice build indeed. I like the unusual camo scheme. 

Thanks a lot, Paul :)

4 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Lovely Mirage F.1 and beautifully finished :clap:!

Miguel

That is kind, Miguel. Thank you :)

4 hours ago, dolphin38 said:

Great F.1 and wonderful finish :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. For this one I took onboard some thoughts from @Graham Boak about panel washing - or not! ;)

2 hours ago, dragan_mig31 said:

Bravo

Thanks mate :)

Martin

• Like 6

Martin, as ever, a great model of a great subject.

Whilst it's a shame you couldn't get it finished in time for the French Fancy 2 GB, it's far more important to get the model finished to your satisfaction rather than meeting some arbitrary deadline.  Well done sir!

12 hours ago, Wez said:

Martin, as ever, a great model of a great subject.

Whilst it's a shame you couldn't get it finished in time for the French Fancy 2 GB, it's far more important to get the model finished to your satisfaction rather than meeting some arbitrary deadline.  Well done sir!

Thanks a lot, Wez. I am sorry that I didn’t get here done for the GB. It was out of my hands as you know. I’ll try harder next time ;).

Martin

Just seen this magnificent replica of this beautiful aircraft Martin… Wow, that is so well executed and the Gabonese scheme is certainly well suited to the Mirage F.1. Another exotic bird to add to what must be one of Britmodellers more esoteric model collections out there. 

Cheers, Merry Christmas and very well modelled.. Dave 

7 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Very neat little Mirage, nice

Thank you, Ali :)

9 hours ago, colossusfr said:

Great build 

Thanks for your kind comment :)

11 hours ago, IGKent said:

Nice MIRAGE! :goodjob:

They are always a great subject! Thank you, Igor. I have one of your homegrown machines next :)

11 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Marvellous Mirage and great choice of markings !

Wulfman

Thanks mate. Yes, they are colourful aren’t they :). You know me well enough now :)

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just seen this magnificent replica of this beautiful aircraft Martin… Wow, that is so well executed and the Gabonese scheme is certainly well suited to the Mirage F.1. Another exotic bird to add to what must be one of Britmodellers more esoteric model collections out there. 

Cheers, Merry Christmas and very well modelled.. Dave 

That is indeed a fine set of comments, mate. Thank you. Yes, the collection of esoteric and exotic machines is threatening to burst out of the display cabinet now. Some may need to go in to storage ;(. I am glad you like them :)

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:28 PM, BleedingBlue said:

Lovely build with a  very interesting paint scheme.  The camouflage on the drop tank is particularly cool.

Thanks mate. It is, of course, standard SAAF of the time, with the Gabon national colours exchanged for the South African markings. I'm pulled by unusual subjects and particularly have a Gabonese thread to my collection.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:17 AM, Mick Drover said:

That's a great result. I love seeing small air force subjects.

👍 

Thanks Mick. Me too!!! :)

On 12/23/2021 at 5:56 AM, Andy Dyck said:

Wonderful model of a not so well known plane. Really nice! 

Season greetings 

Andy 

Thanks Andy. I appreciate that very much.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:55 AM, Duncan B said:

The F.1 is an attractive aircraft to start but that scheme suits it so well. A very nice looking model.

Duncan B

I agree, the F.1 is a beauty :). Thanks for your comments, Duncan.  I need to get back to her to tweak a couple of things that I now realise I didn't do! :(. Nothing major :)

On 12/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, F-32 said:

Beautiful work

Thanks, as always, mate. I'm glad you like her.

On 12/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, Maginot said:

Very nicely modelled. Interesting camouflage scheme; a little different.

Thank you, mate. The kit is very good and has many options. In terms of the Gabon machines there were a few things to note during construction. For example, they did not have the full set of blade aerials. There was/is also an additional antenna along the spine together with a nav light. You also need to omit the wing tip rails. The undercarriage legs have some odd raised seams/seals but I elected not to go as far as changing those. Its a easy build. The challenge is really just the decals and colours. I now have a stack of decals in my spares file :).

Merry Christmas everyone!

Martin

• Like 1