Morgan 3 Wheeler

Hi s.e.charles

Haven't heard the term "bell back" but I don't think it's as descriptive as barrel back which is a term I've seen used many times before. The model is of a beetle back which was preferred for racing where provision for a spare wheel wasn't needed. The luggage rack as far as I know could be fitted to either version and Morgans were very individualistic cars. For road use, the spare could be mounted to the top of beetle back cars.

The suspension was lowered for almost all racing machines. As a result there wasn't enough clearance under the beetle body for the standard wheel to work. Racers cut a hole in the body and fitted a leather cover which let the wheel travel to its full extent without hitting the body. It also allowed larger wheel and tyre combinations to be used if needed.

Dave

• Thanks 1

What a beautiful model, and so nice to see a racing Morgan with the bent front suspension.

I can't afford a real one so I have a JZR 3-wheeler- as enjoyable and impractical as a pre-war Morgan but with more power and far better brakes!

Anyway, lovely work. It really captures the essence of the original.

Rich

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rich,

According to folklore, this car was the originator of the cranked front suspension. Legend has it that the owner damaged the front suspension but noticed that the car handled better. He persuaded Morgans to knock him up a copy and it was so successful that Morgan adopted it on their own cars.

Sounds a bit far fetched in today's world but in the '20s and '30s things were very much less scientific and the owner, Clive Lones was influential with Morgans, so much so that he was invited to join their race team. So it could be true. Whatever, it's a nice story and ought to be true!

When I first bought this kit it was with the sole intention of making a race version. I thought it was just a case of leaving off the road bits but as I got more and more into the build I realised that more was needed. I can honestly say that although it took much more work than I expected, I enjoyed it thoroughly and never considered leaving it "for another day". You can't ask much more from a kit...................................... 

Dave

Edited by Fastcat
Added a bit.
  • Like 1

Beautiful model of an unusual subject. The extra details really bring the model to life.

An earlier poster mentioned that the model was part of the old Auto Kits range ( I have one of their MGTD's to build).

The Auto Kits range was bought out by Wills Finecasf, to become South Eastern Finecast.

I understand that fairly recently the Finecast and Autokits ranges have been acquired by Squires at Bognor Regis the well known supplier of modelling tools and materials, who will be marketing the ranges.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Noel.

Yes, they're nice kits -  a bit basic but able to form the basis for a good model and a unique range of subjects.

I hope they don't just disappear and that their new owners make them more available.  S. E. Finecast are still showing them on their site. Haven't been able to find them on Squire's yet.

Dave

Thanks Noel. I'll do that. I've come across Ian Knott's work before and he rarely disappoints.

I came across two ERAs by a different builder a couple of years ago at Telford and they were both superb variants of the SE Finecast kit. Both were as good as any plastic kit but I know they needed more work. Still........................that's what we're here for.

Dave

Thanks Noel.

They look to be very nicely cast albeit representing the modern cars but a good bit too expensive for me. And big...............................................

Dave