Morgan 3 Wheeler

editor-161115-582b3620b6790 editor-161115-582b3621369f7 editor-161115-582b362199645

This is the ancient metal kit now sold by S. E. Finecast. I chose it because it was the only kit in 1/24 scale but more importantly that it represented the beetle back version favoured by racers rather than the barrel back version kitted by Gakken/Minicraft.

The wheels, thinner than those in the kit are also from S. E. Finecast and I think they came from an MG Midget or Austin Seven.

The engine was mostly scratch-built as it represents the water cooled J A P.

I also scratch-built the lowered suspension and interior.

Dave

• Like 40

Fantastic Work!   Strangely, I was thinking of a Morgan three-Wheeler as I visited this site.....usually for the Aircraft (to which I contribute) - decided to check on this section - and Look What I Found!    I have always had a yen for obtaining a Genuine such car - will have to settle for my 2 Other 3-Wheelers (Russian Bikes with Sidecars...)

Really Wonderful Work!

• Thanks 1

Thanks S.U.,

It's a car I've always wanted too - but not very practical.

The model is of a car raced by Clive Lones, as near as I can get. He was a renowned tinkerer and it was altered for almost every race so a good deal of guesswork was involved.

Dave

Thanks Toftdale,

I tried hard to get that very look. Paint was semi matt but buffed in parts so that it looked used. There's a dirty towel and a tool roll on the seats because I knew the owner liked to fiddle with the car between races.

Dave

• Like 2

Great job. Love the colour& attention to detail. I have just finished the 1 16th Minicraft plastic one. Not up to your stranded but quite pleased as it was bought as a part built second hand kit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Keith,

I think it was originally an old Autokits model. They need a lot of work but they made some really original subjects that just aren't kitted today.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi John,

Yes, you made a good job of it too. I picked the kit because it was a beetle back but I've since found good photos of the barrel back in racing trim so the Minicraft kit would be great.

Dave

Hi dnl42,

It's good fun to build because it can make a good model straight from the box but given the tubular state of the front suspension, it helps if you're handy with a soldering iron whichever way you choose to build it. It's the different approach needed with metal and subject matter that appeals.

Dave

Wow, lovely looking moggie.

I recently had the good fortune of driving a modern version which my mate owns. It was the most fun I’d had in a while, slow idiosyncratic uncomfortable and wonderfully fun, so much so it inspired me to buy a ‘manual’ ‘analog’ car. I’d love to build a modern moggie 3 wheeler kit for him. 

• Thanks 1

What a lovely realistic model . Well done , I remember these little buggies on the road .

Don .

• Thanks 1

Superb! I was only at their factory 12 months before Covid broke out! What a fantastic place. Just been on their website they don't show any available.

• Thanks 1

Hi s.e. charles,

Yes, they're buildable but tend to be vastly under-detailed. The bodies are smooth and have no rivet detail or access holes. All the rivets have to be added. Also, it's better to make some of the front suspension from soldered wire or tube. I had to do this anyway as the suspension arms were altered on the prototype to give a lower ride height, But it was interesting!

Hi PatW

The driver of the prototype was a Midlands man and had close ties with Morgan. At one point he was a member of the Malvern team and the car was painted by the factory in works colours. Morgan are one of the only makers to do things their way. I hope they last.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks.  Yes a driver has to keep his hands clean somehow!🙂

I wanted a bit of human interest on the Morgan and knowing that the driver was a mechanic too gave me the idea of using a towel and a tool roll as a change from the usual maps, gloves or helmet. In the distant days when I had a motorbike, I used an old towel or rag to wipe my hands on or clean off oil and dirt when I worked on it. The tool roll and towel were made in pretty much the same way as maps. They were downloaded from the thumbnails on a supplier's website, printed and cut out. The tool roll was rolled around a bit of plastic and the towel print was scrunched up and suitably "oil" stained. They were both sprayed with matt varnish an the tool roll lightly buffed. Both were glued in the model. It's different anyway........................

Dave 

• Like 1

very effective.

watching a youtube video on Morgans and the narrator used the term "bell back" for the spare tired body and beetle back for the body with a little luggage rack. 

Q: is your model depicting a cover for an oversized rear wheel? or was this a well to stash odd items?

thanks

• Like 1