Best Before: 1945 - 2023 Group Build proposal.

Brad

The idea here is to build an aircraft/car/tank/warship that was used in WW2, being pressed into front line service in the post 1945 world. An example would be Isreali P-51D's or Egyptian T-34-85's. It does not need to be the exact version used in WW2, for example a Syrian or British Mk 22 Spitfire would be eligible as much as an Egyptian Mk Vb. Modifications to said vehicles by their new owners is fine too. It also need not be military front line service, it could be aircraft put into search and rescue, firefighting. scientific research or crop dusting eg; TBM Avenger water bombers. 

If you are interested in joining let me know.

Hello @Brad … even though Im co-hosting the M4 stgb. There are a whole slew of Israeli Sherman variants that I would like to do ? So thats one option. I also have an AT-6G, Spitfire, S-199, and a Mustang with Israeli marking’s. If I haven't built them by the time this gets through I may do a quadruple build. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

This is a great idea. Many opportunities to build historic warbirds, museum exhibits and heavy vehicles pressed into civilian life.  Sounds like an opportunity to do some unique schemes.

Count on my vote 

• Like 1

Well I would like to add a 1/35th Renault FT to the collection and I have heard of one being used as a pillbox in Afghanistan in 1984 so that’s a strong possibility. Alternatively having built a 1/72 Buchon I wouldn’t mind making one in a bigger scale and they soldiered on well into the fifties at least. So count me in.

00a39fed-9819-4227-b338-95d91cb3e81b.jpeThat FT.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Excellent idea, count me in. This would be another opportunity to build the Fulton Skyhook equipped B-17 that I'm a bit obsessed with. Or a water bomber, or an engine testbed. And there would be a huge number of options for a postwar C-47.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 2:46 AM, Colin W said:

This is a great idea. Many opportunities to build historic warbirds, museum exhibits and heavy vehicles pressed into civilian life.  Sounds like an opportunity to do some unique schemes.

Count on my vote 

Just to clarify, the vehicle being built needs a job. So just building someone's privately owned P-51 would be out, but a Buffalo Airways DC-3 would be in as she's still being used in a working role.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:09 AM, Prenton said:

Happy to put my name to this one - I have a lot of kits that could be post war RACERS!

philip

I'm kinda on the fence about racers, I'm not sure it counts as having a job more than it does a rich mans toy. Open to being convinced otherwise though.

I’d think that being actively raced should count, but I see where you’re coming  from a T34 that’s still in use by the Afghan army ( they used them up to the eighties too) isn’t the same as a preserved T34 in a tank museum. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just spotted this, 

I'm thinking this P-51D - used post 1945 for private aviation.

Airfix-P51-D-Maverick-Mustang.jpg

Dependant on how it's used in the new Top Gun film. 

Or this Spitfire. 9, modified for training, and now joyrides.

AZ-Spitfire-TR9.jpg

Mine modified as either of the 2 TR9s, that friends of mine have flown in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe I've not seen this, I love post-war warbird use - got plenty of possibilities in the stash for sure.

As a little inspiration, how about a well worn French Kingcobra and shiny Hellcat in 1951.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ooh, I like this! I have several Monogram's 1/48 T-6 Texan kits, I've done one in Miller Highlife array, and will do at least one other as some other post-war aircraft. 

snj-done16.jpg

I also have Monogram's 1/48 Avenger with Lone Star's waterbomber conversion and Revell's recently released 1/48 Stearman Aerobatic Airplane, a PT-17 in civil guise.

Finally, there's the epitome of WW2 aircraft soldering on, and that's the mighty C-47 Dakota! I have many more of them, including Welsh Models' 1/144 Basler BT-67.

• Like 2

Can put my name  down please  got a P 39/ 400  and French  marking  for it .

Cheers  wellzy 

Edited by wellzy
Wrong spelling
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, Adam Poultney said:

This sounds like a good idea. Would an aircraft at the prototype stage in ww2 but in service after count?

My initial thought was no, but on reconsidering I think yes that would be fine. So long as there was at least one built, flying/floating/driving prototype, not just plans or a sketch.