Douglas EA-3B Skywarrior, 1/48 Trumpeter

Wow, looks brilliant 👍

I've got a similar build in mind but set in a slightly earlier timescale of the USS Nimitz's med cruise from '77/'78, it would be part of a planned project to build a representative aircraft of all the units attached, I have the Aeromaster 1/48 CVW-8 special decal set which includes decals for the bulk of the units involved: F-14A Tomcat of VF-41 & 84, A-7E Corsair II of VA-82 & 86, A-6E & KA-6D Intruder of VA-35, EA-6B Prowler of VAQ-135, S-3 Viking of VS-24 & SH-3 Sea King of HS-9.

That just leaves me three (maybe 4) units to source, the kits for these weren't available when the Aeromaster set was released, so understanably weren't included:

EA-3B Skywarrior - VQ-2 (like you I'm starting with the Trumpeter TA-3B kit, the EA-3B conversion seems relatively simple, and I believe the aircraft just had the Sandeman VQ-2 tail markings similar to yours but possibly smaller and set on a yellow triangle, quite basic so I'm tempted to have a go at producing these myself, I believe that although VQ-2 was the assigned unit due to the proximity of their base in Rota, aircraft chopped in / out on a regular basis.)

RA-5C Vigilante - RVAH-6 (as luck has it the Trumpeter kit includes markings for this one).

E-2B Hawkeye - VAW-112 (Kinetic / Italeri kit backdated to an E-2B) not sure what to do on decal front though as I can't turn up clear photographs.

The maybe unit is the COD aircraft which I believe was a C-1A Trader from VRC-40 

Your build will be very handy for reference with the EA-3B conversion.

6 hours ago, Exterminatus said:

I finally finished something! It's Trumpeters's quarter scale TA-3B kit, converted to electronic reconnaissance EA-3B of the Desert Storm era,
I used some etched details from Eduard and wonderful repair sets from Hypersonic models - new engines and correct canopy. The rest is just playing with plastic🙂

With a shark mouth, this Whale was displayed at IAT 1991 after returning from deployment in the Gulf War.

Thanks for looking!

Andrew

spacer.png

Great job! I especially like the looks of the wing-folding mechanism.

Stefan

Beautiful job! Looks very nice indeed and benefits from the additions you have made. One comment - the catapult spools (Hooks?) were not fitted on this aircraft - not sure that they are likely to operate off carriers these days.

Here are a couple of my pictures of the real one from Fairford in 1991....

Cheers

Malcolm

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Thank you all for your comments!

On 12/17/2021 at 11:14 AM, Stephen said:

That is absolutely superb! Can I ask where you go the decals from ?

I designed and printed my own decals. Are you interested?

On 12/17/2021 at 5:14 PM, Baldy said:

Beautiful job! Looks very nice indeed and benefits from the additions you have made. One comment - the catapult spools (Hooks?) were not fitted on this aircraft - not sure that they are likely to operate off carriers these days.

Here are a couple of my pictures of the real one from Fairford in 1991....

Cheers

Malcolm

You're right about the hooks, I think the Whales were operating from ground bases only since 1987. I'll probably rip them off when I get the courage.