Gift horse Carlos Checa '04 Yamaha M1 YZR

Cuppa_joe

Hi all, been a while since I have been on here, moved house, rebuilt my motorcycle, started 2 more to build, started a business building said motorcycles, and yet to finish the last 2 WIP's : Aussie sabre and reppu "Sam" both 1/72 fighter planes.

I'm doing this build as a gift to my missus father who i have yet to meet overseas. Kind of a break the ice type gift. He's a massive Yamaha fan, and a motorcycle mechanic himself so i thought this would be fitting.

I initially wanted to do a 50th anniversary, or failing that a Rossi version but the prices!!!

So this was the other option, and as well as the kit i all upspeced it with a Tamiya detail up kit for the forks and a Top Studio resin kit. My first resin kit i have used so bear with me.

This being a gift, i have 4 months to build it so unlike my previous 2 builds, this one NEEDS to be done.

IMG_20211214_192046938

Started with the engine, normal Tamiya step one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191561787@N07/51752151409/in/dateposted-public

Test fitted the exhaust to allow for the oxygen sensors fitted

IMG_20211216_215627387

This is Mandatory as the alignment is very important to not fowl on anything

IMG_20211216_221250256

IMG_20211216_221238508

Edited by Cuppa_joe
Forgot something
  • Like 3

Check for the exhaust to actually fit

IMG_20211221_210354408

IMG_20211221_210409369

Chec-ca!

Looking at real examples of swingarms showed me that the inside of it's structure was never really as the model depicts.

IMG_20211221_200237452

So this needed filling.

Styrene sheet on hand a a paper cut out was done to fill it in. Mental note, do it before it gets glued together!

IMG_20211221_200243537

And here is the finished item waiting for the putty to dry.

IMG_20211221_210006651

Has anyone finished this model?

Can you please weigh it as a finished model?

I'm a stickler for having it feel right in the hand as well as looking the part, so will add weight if necessary.

This complete, should work out to 90 grams if going by the cubic division of scale 

Adios Muchachos!!

• Like 3

I’m currently building a whole host of bikes, 2 gsxr 750’s several ama Kawasaki z racers and do exactly as you’ve done fill swing arms and frames really detracts for me when they are hollow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veg said:

I’m currently building a whole host of bikes, 2 gsxr 750’s several ama Kawasaki z racers and do exactly as you’ve done fill swing arms and frames really detracts for me when they are hollow.

That's the unfortunate game though. Would need more tooling etc so i understand...but also at $60+ AUD no, i don't understand. 

I'll be popping in to your build to have a looksee! Have you got a page?

2 minutes ago, slippers said:

What a great link. Thanks for sharing.

I'm certainly following this build as, despite building one years ago, I have one of these with a Renaissance upgrade set and Rossi / Abe decals.

I know right! One needs to poke around and find clues.

And i found another for a generation of M1's.

http://mototribumedia.com/constructeur/yamaha/m1/index.html 

I would love me a 2005 m1 in yellow ( fave colour and colour of My real world 1098 duc)

• Thanks 1