Italeri 1/72 DC-3 G-AMSV Air Atlantique

Since I get a lot of really nice response on the civil airliners I thought I throw one more of my builds in the mix. It's not the very nice Airfix kit but still the old Italeri (I believe I still have 10 or 15 of those in my stash...) I hope you like it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 53
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, kapam said:

Awesome!

Makes me want to keep grappling with my Italeri kit!

:clap2:👍👍

Where do you get your decals from?

Home-made perhaps?

Thank you very much for your kind comments. The decals are actually from Two Six or S&M Dec, they brought out a civil range of UK color schemes for the DC-3. I understand that the man in charge is no longer with us (if I remember correctly) so it is probably not easily available anymore. The ones I have here are for the following airlines and all DC-3 so you have an idea what  was produced and I did not buy them all 😉:

Irefly London

BKS

Skyways

British Westpoint Airlines

Air Atlantique (black belly with green cheat lines (G-AMRA)

Starways

Intra

South West Aviation

BIA Cargo (this is also the G-AMSV)

Quality is OK, it's not cartograph but it works. I hope this helps you narrow down the search.

Edited by Marc the Builder
  • Like 1

A Very nice build and finish with great attention to detail with the extra cabin windows and correct Ariel's. I seem to recall that SV had de icing boots on the tail planes as well as the fin, mind you I'm going back 36 Years.

Do I see an Eastern Airways Dakota lurking in the background?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jyguy said:

A Very nice build and finish with great attention to detail with the extra cabin windows and correct Ariel's. I seem to recall that SV had de icing boots on the tail planes as well as the fin, mind you I'm going back 36 Years.

Do I see an Eastern Airways Dakota lurking in the background?

She did have de-ice boots on the tail planes at some point but not when she wore these colors. I did try my best at the ariels as they are a bit different then what you often see on them. And yes there is G-AMPO in the back from Eastern Airlines as well. She was not build by me but I did restore her and replaced some of the decals.

Wow lovely build. I grew up down the road from bagington airport (Coventry) and had one of the last flights in the air atlantique Dc3’s. 
I remember climbing in and thinking how the hell did people go to war in these things a very different but great flight. 

• Like 2

Lovely looking model, and I have the decals to do my own build.

It was 1985. 100%

I flew in this aircraft when painted like this from Bristol Lulsgate into Fairford IAT.  I think it was the first staging of Fairford as the IAT.  The DC-3 flew in

both days.  I have a figure of £60.00 in my head for the flight.

I know it was 1985, Fairford was the same weekend as Live Aid, I spent the Saturday with a bottle of Southern Comfort, no Coke or Lemonade for some reason so sank it straight, watched the whole show, woke up early on the Sunday morning to get a lift to Bristol and the Dak flight with a stinking headache.

Great days.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

It was indeed 1985. Here's a shot of her at HMS Daedalus that year. I took my brother on his very first aeroplane flight, for his birthday. 

50131883622_07bcabd789_b.jpg

And I finally built a model of her in 2019 using the TwoSix Decals but using the new Airfix kit:

50131881897_baa3642a2a_b.jpg

That turned out very nice indeed 😍 That kit is much better but I never finished one. Started on one in colors of G-DAKK of South Coast Airways but before I finished it I switched to 1/48 scale so she went back in the box. I also had my first plane ride on a DC-3. Somewhere in 1984 on the PH-DDA. Good memories.

• Like 1

Great looking Dak, I grew up in Coventry with my parents house being perfectly positioned parallel to the airport so I could see the Dakota's, DC-6's and Electras operating for years, I do vaguely remember this one but I was only young when it was in that scheme mostly I remember the ones in the green schemes particularly growing up, the sound of Daks flying over our house regularly was a pleasure, always made me look up!

Rich

• Like 1