C130H/K questions.

Head in the clouds.

Hello folks.

I am looking to build Hercules C130K, XV208 in the near future but I would like to confirm what I think I understand to be correct.

The C130K is based on the C130H.

The old Airfix kit is OK as is the Italeri boxing, each have their respective plus and negative points.

How does the new Zvezda C130H kit shake up?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

The Zvezda C-130H kit is leaps and bounds ahead of the other existing kits, it has superb detailing and surface detail. There is an RAF Hercules C.1 option in the kit, XV215.

There is an in box review and a few builds of this kit on the forum.

Zvezda have also released a 'stretched' C-130J with an RAF Hercules C.4 option, and have a short C-130J, RAF C.5 promised for next year.

With mixing and matching the available Zvezda C-130H and J kits it's possible to build RAF C.1, C.3, C.4 & C.5, and with a bit of scratchbuilding the W.2.

• Like 5

In general I am not aware of any external difference between basic H and K models.

Of course later added protection  in flight refueling etc was partially added.to diverse models... ;)

Check your references!

• Like 1

I believe it's been said elsewhere on this forum that the K had the shorter wheel sponsons of the E and the early H models.  So if you build the Zvezda kit, you'll want to use the shorter sponsons.  If you build using the Italeri kit, the sponsons are fine as is, but you'll want to replace the engine nacelles with resin after-market units and add plastic the outboard engines so that all four props line up.  There are probably small antenna changes that you can scratchbuild.  

• Like 2

As James said, the Zvezda kit is better by a large margin. In addition to what James said, it has good internal detailing as well, if you want to model with doors open,

I like the old Airfix kit, which is still OK with a bit of work for a 'standoff scale'  model.  If I was to do another Hercules, the Zvezda kit would be my clear choice, despite the cost.

John B

• Like 1

the only kit to be beaten by a this fresh Zvezda release is ESCI. it can be given to the younger ones as a toy.

Zvezda vs Italeri -they stand side by side. Each has its own advantages. It's a shame that, getting rid of the mistakes of her competitors, Zvezeda has done her own.

"outstanding model" - I would not say about Zvezda. wery good commercial product for the time being and mediocre according to its prototype.

• Like 2