1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk. I

My first return to modelling and my first venture into 1/72 scale, plus weathering effects. Obviously I had to go with my favourite plane and a starter kit, given my incredible lack of paints, brushes, glue and talent.

The provided Humbrol paints ended up being even more dry than my dead Grandad so picked up some Tamiya paints from the local hobby store in replacement. Shame I couldn't pick up a spare radio antenna that the cat ate. I bet the cat is a spy but more on that later. 

Hope you enjoy my, quite frankly, legendary brush abilities that definitely do not require me to use tape to make clean edges. How I haven't gotten a job at Lucasfilm yet is beyond me, much like how I failed my Art GCSE.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20

Hi,

I like your Hurricane very much indeed!

Dare I say you did not pick up the easiest paints to use with a brush! I have never mastered Tamiya paints, even with flow improver!

You will have to give me your secret! Do you mix the paint in a cracked tea pot at full moon? Tell all!

Next time try brushing some clear gloss varnish before and after decals, and then some mat clear.

Best way to make the decals' film disappear.

Great job and beautiful Hurri.

JR

• Like 1

Thank you very much, everyone. Glad my mediocre helps liven the place up!

My trick with the Tamiya paints is to enact a wrist motion that I have been working on since a wee teen. A flick of the wrist and they are mixed well enough. That and about nine layers of watery, oily paint. I'll be sure to try your tip regarding the decals as the film is rather annoying, much like my neighbours on a Sunday morning.

• Haha 3

Some of my models finished few years ago looks.....far, far a way from this Hurricane...... so no place for modesty, next one will be for sure even better.

At the end.....real goal is that we are happy looking at something we finished, isn't it the reason why we are doing this?

For sure you should be happy with this model....and radio mast is not so hard to replace. So from me... :clap:

ps. sorry on my English, sometimes it is hard to express, with correct wording...

Edited by djos
  • Like 1

My kind of modeller🤩. Nice one. I, too, have cat and aerial issues. May I suggest stretched sprue? Easy to do and, if you pick the right stretched bit, pretty well indistinguishable from the original. YouTube will show you how. 

As another recent returnee to modelling since my teenage years I just wanted to comment and say welcome and you've done a great job.

Photography is my other thing and one thing to watch out for is when taking a pic with a white background the subject might get little underexposed and look a little dark. Hope you don't mind me saying...