Airfix 1/48 Blenheim questions.

Spitfires Forever

Hello.

I was considering buying the Airfix Blenheim but after reading a few reviews/Build reports it seems that Airfix may have missed the mark on this kit. The complaints have been short shots, differences in the nacelle sizes and a poor fit for the canopy/green house. I figure that I should get as much information as possible before deciding to buy an expensive kit. Anybody build the kit? What are your impressions. I really like early war British Bombers but I don't wish to fight with a pricey kit if you understand my meaning. Any input would be helpful. I have other kits on my list so want to make the best choice for my limited modeling budget .

Cheers

Here are some opinions: https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/airfix-148-bristol-blenheim-mki and https://finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2019/08/workbench-review-airfix-bristol-blenheim

I haven't build this myself but I have heard complains about canopy. In this forum is definitely people who have built this.

4 hours ago, Spitfires Forever said:

differences in the nacelle sizes

IIRC, it was the new-tool 1/72 Airfix Blenheims that had the humped Bolingbroke nacelles; I'm pretty sure Airfix corrected this part of their 1/48 kit, but you might see what those here on BM who have built the kit said about any other errors that were not corrected- intake 'trumpets' and heating tubes on the exhausts of Bolingbrokes come to mind, but that's not my scale and my recollection of kit reviews for the 1/48 release is kinda fuzzy- there was a lot of discussion and several builds of both scales here on BM and you could look for them. (At least they got the nacelles right for you 1/48 modelers!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

I for one have built the Airfix Blenheim and on the whole enjoyed it. There were no short shots at all. I'd agree that installing the canopy pieces is challenging and requires patience and test fitting, but I wouldn't say the fit is bad enough to be a deal breaker. One thing I found was the absolute necessity to get all corresponding fuselage mating edges precisely lined up, especially along the bottom around the cockpit, which needs some persuasion to be correctly located. Also, I wasn't able to avoid having a pretty obvious seam down the center of the forward canopy that required some careful smoothing.

FWIW, pictures here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235097474-airfix-148-blenheim-mk-i/

I guess there are no perfect kits, just about all have warts of some sort. If I can handle the nose on the AM B-25 kits then the Blenheim should not be too much of a challenge. That's why the modelling gods created putty right? I will give it a go. Thanks to everyone for the valuable input. Happy Holidays to all!

Cheers