MAZ 7917-7

This is the 1/72 scale MAZ 7917-7 from Zvesda. It carry the Topol ICBM SS-25. The kit has a high number count for this scale and chassis is quite detailed. The fit is ok and did not encounter major issues. The build is challenging, I added scratchbuild parts to improve the kit and bring it closer to what I desired. No aftermarket parts used. Here are the list I done to improve my build.

1. Full steering suspension modified to depict all the front four axle to steer to the left to give it a more dynamic pose.

2.All arial/mount/canvass cover scratchbuilt and sculpted.

3.Cab interior scartchbuilt (the kit has nothing inside it).

4.The inside large windows opened and glass simulated.

5.All outside windows opened and scratchbuilt to depict it in a window down position.

6.Front windshield wipers scratchbuilt.

7.Te two side mirrors and mount scratchbuilt to scale (original parts are overcalled).

8.Added right and left engine exhaust.

9.Front headlight scratchbuilt.

10. The ICBM is filled with sand to simulate weight and help with the overall stance. (weight around 400 gms.)

Painted with acrylics and weathered with oils and pigment. This is by no means 100% accurate, some artistic licence to bring it to life at this scale.

There are two parts in this pictures, one with just the truck alone and the other part are with the ICBM load out. I will show a full view and some close up views of the build. Have a hard time doing this at this scale but i'm happy with the results. Enjoy the photos  and thank you for dropping by.

PMIBKrp.jpg?1

Vk7ZdCR.jpg?1

hmEzfh7.jpg?1

jsfFDbl.jpg?1

efFoVRG.jpg?1

7QECxxU.jpg?1

4Unspzn.jpg?1

fgZWNAw.jpg?1

QopyBeI.jpg?1

Egc2s5n.jpg?1

Now for the photos of the ICBM load out and some close up photos.

pmTDvgC.jpg?2

LXbHQRW.jpg?1

mS5QJR9.jpg?1

7MGu0Y3.jpg?1

B2ZmwUI.jpg?1

X8S4Ca7.jpg?1

1iyIe8o.jpg?1

w3tinEB.jpg?1

W6sg6Ft.jpg?1

yt6ldy0.jpg?1

And for the scale comparison with a Tamiya Acrylic Bottle and my hand pointing to the model to give a sense of scale. Its small but kinda big for a 1/72.  Thank you all for dropping by and enjoy.

SxEmtn5.jpg?1

8J5MdJc.jpg?1

• Like 21

Hi HF,

that really is an impressive model, beautifully presented.  You mentioned how good the chassis is, do you have any photos of the underside that you could post here please.  I am undecided whether to get that kit or the Iskander and a view of the chassis detail could swing it for me.

cheers,
Mike

31 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hi HF,

that really is an impressive model, beautifully presented.  You mentioned how good the chassis is, do you have any photos of the underside that you could post here please.  I am undecided whether to get that kit or the Iskander and a view of the chassis detail could swing it for me.

cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, Thanks!  I'm worried to take an underside shot of the finished model as I have so many small parts attached which are delicate. However here are two photos of the chassis WIP. Hope this helps. Noticed the steering of the first 4 axle changed. I heavily modified this from the stock kit and did a lot of "plastic surgery" to make it to turn properly from the steering knuckle as the kit part does not allowed this. I say get both kits but if you have to choose one then I can recommend this but will require some patience.

4CNG5hT.jpg?1

0DekbcB.jpg?1

Edited by Heart Failure
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, that does look to be what I want to see on a vehicle model;  detailed axles, propshaft and connectors etc.  It is obvious that you have put a fair amount of additional effort into your build, and it has paid dividends for certain.  Well Done!

Mike

15 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Thanks, that does look to be what I want to see on a vehicle model;  detailed axles, propshaft and connectors etc.  It is obvious that you have put a fair amount of additional effort into your build, and it has paid dividends for certain.  Well Done!

Mike

Glad to help Mike and thank you once again. The Iskander from HB is the one you wanted? Seems to be a very good kit to me. Looking forward to your build and happy modelling.

Cheers,

Raphael

• Like 1