RFI: HK Models 1/48 B-17F 'Memphis Belle' Was a big Job!

Hi Bob,

that’s stunning, love it a little bit more than my G Version. It looks so fantastic and I like the small detail on the entrance door with the name Stuka on it. And your display is absolutely spot on too. Is it selfmade? So all in all I think you had the same fun as I had. The bayonet lock for wing/fuselage connection is great isn’t it! All in all it’s a pity that one can’t see the interior! So I think I have to put my fingers out take another eyewatering 100€ and buy the Memphis Belle. But it is it worth!

Thank you very much for sharing!! 👍👍👍👍👍

Kind regards to Michigan USA 😃

Andy

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Bob,

that’s stunning, love it a little bit more than my G Version. It looks so fantastic and I like the small detail on the entrance door with the name Stuka on it. And your display is absolutely spot on too. Is it selfmade? So all in all I think you had the same fun as I had. The bayonet lock for wing/fuselage connection is great isn’t it! All in all it’s a pity that one can’t see the interior! So I think I have to put my fingers out take another eyewatering 100€ and buy the Memphis Belle. But it is it worth!

Thank you very much for sharing!! 👍👍👍👍👍

Kind regards to Michigan USA 😃

Andy

Hi Andy!  I love yours too!  I want to make one in nmf someday and yours is fantastic looking!

The wing attach worked great and I built, painted and finished it in 3 pieces and popped on the wings just at the end before photos!  Best feature of the kit!

The STUKA name is on the real Memphis Belle crew door and probably was a pet name for the Belle...  the kit includes these decals...

The top nose window by the windshield was the hard part.  You have to cut the hole for it.  The nose part is specific to the F, so you will have alot of challenge there getting it right.  It kept me busy for days!

Overall I really liked the HK B17 kit, and it was a fun build!  I painted woodgrain details in the desks and wood floors and had a fun time building the interior!

58 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Outstanding fit and finish! And in three weeks:worthy:

I worked 14days in a row every day about 10hours, then it took another week of about 3 to 4hours each day to get it done.  

Some problems were my own making.  Two days wasted on doing the wing walks 3 times! 

First time i just put on the thin stripes on wing, then discovered the Belle had the later dashed wing walks!  Aaarrrggg!  So i tried to strip them up!  Had to repaint wing!  So then did dashed walks, but decals used were too thin!

3rd time charm!  I used thicker stripe decals from stash, and they look right now! 

Hello,

We are spoiled on Brittmodeler because after a wonderful model G HKM we see such a great model F; this construction is gorgeous, congrats!

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Pete said:

A B17 in 1/48 is about the size of a moose...  Maybe you need a proper hangar!

Hi Pete...  my modeller friend helped me get it in my case!  I had it in a 45deg angle...  but he said if you turn it a little, it will fit in a 18.5inch deep case...  so I did that and its just fits in with door closed!

• Like 1

Oh man, another beautiful "Fort"!   That looks incredible Bob! :clap2:  You must be incredibly proud of that creation.   You guys are really making me want one of these HK kits, and I don't have the time or space for all my WWII twin-engined planes.  Where would I keep one of these beauties?!? must resist.  must resist. :winkgrin:

Great looking model Bob!  Keep 'em coming sir. :worthy:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Where would I keep one of these beauties?!? must resist.  must resist. :winkgrin:

Thanks Gary...  i highly reccomend the HK.  It went together great and you can snap on the wings when you are done as the last step!  Made building it so much easier!

• Like 1