Sud Aviation Caravelle III - SAS, Mach 2 1:72

Dear fellow modellers,

I would like to show you my latest finished model. The Caravelle III is made from the very challenging Mach 2 kit with the use of Werner Lehmann's excellent Authentic Decals Window set and the Airway Graphics set for the SAS livery.

The most visible flaw of the kit is the wrong position of the cockpit windows. This could be mitigated by the use of decals but required a lot of sanding.

Other difficulties where the fit of the wings to the fuselage. I opened one engine nacelle and put in an engine. The experts will recognize where it comes from originally. I cut out the flaps and installed them in a lowered position, a state you can often observe on fotos of parked aircraft. 

The original OY-KRD is preserved in a Danish museum and I used some fotos to work out some details.

Enjoy watching the fotos!

greetings from Germany,

Norbert

Caravelle-SAS-Mach-2-72-01.jpg

Caravelle-SAS-Mach-2-72-22.jpg

Caravelle-SAS-Mach-2-72-27.jpg

Caravelle-SAS-Mach-2-72-28.jpg

Caravelle-SAS-Mach-2-72-6.jpg

Caravelle-SAS-Mach-2-72-7.jpg

Caravelle-SAS-Mach-2-72-8.jpg

Caravelle-SAS-Mach-2-72-9.jpg

P1230696.jpg

Edited by NorbertBu
  • Like 54

11 minutes ago, NorbertBu said:

very challenging Mach 2 kit

Thats an understatement if ever there was one!

You have done a magnificent job of producing a great looking Caravelle from the slim pickings provided in the kit.  Its especially well rearranged around the cockpit area.:worthy:.

I understand the hardships you have overcome as I built one as the Swedish Air Force ELINT aircraft some years back ( I still have dreams about it:()

Great skills Sir

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete in a shed said:

Thats an understatement if ever there was one!

You have done a magnificent job of producing a great looking Caravelle from the slim pickings provided in the kit.  Its especially well rearranged around the cockpit area.:worthy:.

Well said and so true!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Challenging is far from the fact....I tried to build it once...and failed miserably.

What you have created here is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Superb work all around.Might get tempted to try it again seeing your build

Thanks for sharing

Greetings from Switzerland

That's a first-rate job, Norbert, and the Authentic Airliners decals make all the difference, especially in correcting the kit's cockpit contours.  I feel your pain!  I built this kit 16 years ago, and your results beat mine hands down.  Did you use Bare Metal Foil to simulate the doubler plates on the aft fuselage?  Those are very noticeable on the real thing.  About the engine--let me guess--a T-53?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's a first-rate job, Norbert, and the Authentic Airliners decals make all the difference, especially in correcting the kit's cockpit contours.  I feel your pain!  I built this kit 16 years ago, and your results beat mine hands down.  Did you use Bare Metal Foil to simulate the doubler plates on the aft fuselage?  Those are very noticeable on the real thing.  About the engine--let me guess--a T-53?

T-53 is correct! For the doupler plates I used painted stripes of Tamiya-Tape.

Thanks to all for your nice comments! I am glad you like the model.

• Like 2

You have done a fantastic job on the Caravelle, I had the same kit but kept looking at the box and knew of the cockpit error and realised it was to much of a burden so sold it on. The Caravelle in my mind is the most gorgeous airliner, only pipped by the Queen of the skies VC10.

• Like 1

One could almost call it a "scratch-build" from what I hear about Mach2 kits!

You have done a mighty job with it and turned out a total work of art!  :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Must be quite a large beast in 1:72!

• Thanks 1