Superglue and activators

Simon Cornes

Like most of us I've used CA glues for years but I'm after some advice/opinion please.

I have a Wingnut biplane to repair (bought via Ebay in that state) - the top wing has been knocked off and all the struts detached but the EZ line rigging is still in place. My idea was to use CA glue to re-attach the centre section struts and to then reattach the interplane struts. The model is in a rigging jig to get the correct height and rake for the top wing. 

I'm using Zap medium. I've had it for a few years and have been using a CA gel most recently so the Zap doesn't come out very often. It normally lives in the fridge. I had run out of kicker/accelerator so I went to my local model store - eModels - with my bottle of Zap as I though it was quite runny but I compared it with a new bottle and it was just as runny! I bought a bottle of Zap accelerator and went home. I then spent all afternoon trying to attach 2 struts. I gave up when I felt that the frustration was overcoming my efforts but I can't understand why the accelerator/kicker/activator wasn't really making the CA go off any quicker. Am I doing something wrong?

I've put the 'job' to one side until I can summon up the patience to have another go!

Any advice/opinion please?

Thanks

Simon

I had Zap, pink, green and yellow CA.  I never used the first 2 just the yellow, until it wouldn't set even with accelerator, I opened the other 2 they too wouldn't set.  They had all gone off,  absolutely no cling whatsoever, I then discovered CA has a shelf life of approximately 18 - 24 months.  They were less then a year old (to me) but obviously been sitting on the sellers shelf and there no date info on the bottles.

Wasted about £20.  I now just but the little tubes of gel as and when saves wasting anymore money.     

• Like 1

I used to use Zap, but had a couple of bottles (1 Gel type and 1 medium) set solid in the bottle, these days I just buy smaller tubes of Loctite medium from my local B&M and I've also using Lidl's own brand gel type (can't recall its name right now, but it's of German origin), I'm getting good mileage out of both.

I've found the various types of Gorilla glue very effective - and seem to last well in the bottle. However I've never used an accelerator on them.

Cheers

Colin

Guys

Thanks for the advice and opinion. I went to buy a bottle of Zap Green from eModels and, blow me, they'd sold out - had it on Monday - except for the 'big' bottle for about £12 which I thought was pointless as, as has been said, it normally goes solid before you've used it all up! I bought a bottle of the Javis green for about £3.50 and its much better although the bottle is quite hard plastic which doesn't squeeze like Zap. Unfortunately the job Ive bought out for is driving me crazy - a Wingnut biplane. I am at the point now where I think all the rigging has to come off because the tension in it is just fighting me and things are starting to break so I have walked away from it - I've never thrown a model out of the window but this is getting close!