Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario - Sword - 1/48

Hello everyone,

Here's my take on Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario. This was one of the three late WW2, Serie 5 Italian fighters, built around Daimler-Benz DB 605 engine. Only 48 were produced, and they took part in the defense of Naples, Rome and Sicily. Due to the powerful engine and large wings, Re.2005 excelled at high altitude. However, the complexity of the Re.2005 design, small dimensions and very high production costs (it was the most expensive Italian WW2 fighter to produce), led to the Fiat G.55, to be selected as a superior choice for mass production.

These three Serie 5 fighters were basically my entry into aircraft modeling and with Sagittario, I finished all three of them. I find all three of them very fascinating machines, but I like Sagittario the most. I find it to be a beautiful aircraft.

Kit itself, Sword No. SW 48010 is quite nice. Not much details I would say, although I haven't build many aircraft kits, so not much to compare. There were some minor fit issues, but nothing dramatic. The only AM parts I used was CMK Supercharger Air Intake.

It is painted with Gunze Mr.Color lacquers, mix that should look like Verde Oliva Scuro 2 and Grigio Azzurro Chiaro. Not sure if it does. I am quite inexperienced with aircraft weathering, so I kept it at minimum, although I tried to avoid factory fresh finish,

4b

1a

Unfortunately there are no Re.2005s that survived up until today. There is only a tail section of the fuselage in the Museo dell'aeronautica Gianni Caproni, and markings I used here are actually representing this aircraft,

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 48
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Reggiane Re2005!

Saluti

Giampiero

7 hours ago, Giampiero Piva said:

Very nice !

4 hours ago, Kriss said:

You got a very nice model

2 hours ago, Remus389 said:

It has a beautiful aerodynamic shape, excellent job 

Thank you for your kind words.

Cheers,

Nenad

11 hours ago, Zigomar said:

I agree! The 2005 is the best looking of the Serie 5 family; But you still can add the breaks lines on the U/C legs, cheers.

Thanks for suggestion Zigomar. Will definitely do that, details like this add a lot to the realism.

11 hours ago, Murewa said:

Oooh .... beauty! 🤩 

I'm making the Sword 2001 at the mo. Coming together nicely so far, even if a bit simple. 

Thank you. Yeah, 2005 was also quite simple, I guess that's mainly because they were a bit sparing on details. Cockpit for example is very very basic. Although, it was very nice of them that they included some items like resin exhausts for example.

I have Italeri 2002 in stash. Wonder how it will compare to this one.

14 hours ago, spitfire said:

That really is very fine work, I have a bigger version in the stash and I hope it turns out as nice as yours, though I doubt it.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. Looking forward seeing your version.

15 hours ago, Roberto said:

Great work, I like it 👍

Thank you Roberto.

16 hours ago, boom.boom said:

Pure poetry Nenade!!! Congratulations!👏 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Maginot said:

Nice one. Well executed. Very interesting subject.

Thank you.

19 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- You've nicely rendered justice to this elegant Italian machine whose lines are enhanced by its dark green camouflage..

Thank you.

19 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

That’s perfect.  Bringing a black model to life isn’t easy. But you made it perfect with your subtle weathering! Looks very realistic!

Regards 

Andy 

Thank you Andy. Yeah, making black/dark, one color camouflage to look interesting is quite a challenge. It's easy that you end up with a model that looks just like a lump of coal. :)

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nenad. That really is a very impressive build. Beautifully modelled! 

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thank you Stix.

On 12/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, Gary Brantley said:

Nenad, that's a beautiful model of a beautiful aircraft! 🍺 Well done sir! :clap2:

Thank you Gary 🍺

On 12/16/2021 at 7:47 PM, vytautas said:

Hi, Nenad

The fighter looks as good as your tanks. I don’t know how to say better :D

Vytautas

Thank you Vytautas :)

On 12/16/2021 at 8:42 PM, simonj said:

Great subject matter - lovely model - You have got great effect there for a mono-chrome scheme, really impressive

Cheers,

Nenad

On 12/18/2021 at 8:32 PM, Mig88 said:

Lovely!! Great paintwork and weathering.

Miguel

Thank you Miguel.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:06 AM, stevehnz said:

Fantastic. I too like the look of this, enough to have bought a 1/72 kit, still on it's way to me but come the day I build it, I'll be thrilled if it comes close to your beautiful finish. :) 

Steve,

Thank you Steve. Looking forward to seeing your version. Which kit did you order, RS Models?

1 hour ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Thank you Steve. Looking forward to seeing your version. Which kit did you order, RS Models?

Hi Nenad, yes, the RS one, currently on a slow boat I think, post is quite slow from Europe to New Zealand. Maybe a Christmas present for me. :unsure:

Hoping peace to you & yours at this time.

Steve