1/72 - Blériot-Spad 510 C.1 by FRROM/Azur - released

Homebee

There is Caudron 714 old Heller kit and recently a new one was by RS.  So on the market no looking for it. 

I voted (after todays clues) for Fairey Fox, which will be a couple to Belgian Renard R 31. It was on my wish list I suggested to Gilles some time ago.... So I do hope I am right

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bradley said:

All it means is that the type in question had less than 192 units built before June 1940 - it could also mean that a total of 5 were built by January 1920... As we've learned from their last game, be careful about being too literal!

Indeed. With all these clues we have hundreds of aircraft to choose from. Basically all we know is that its production started before June 1940 and this a/c probably took part in the WWII.

If I understand this sentence correctly, it could even mean that the first prototype was built in 1948 :)  

Did the MiG-21 exist in the amount of 192 pieces before June 1940? Definitely not! Luckily, it is ruled out by a wingspan of above 8.5 m.

The only planes excluded for this formulation are the Spad XIII or the Hurricane (and hundreds of similar ones), which were built in excess of 192 prior to June 1940.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JWM said:

I voted (after todays clues) for Fairey Fox,

Hmmm - I have look for this data in net and found, that the solely Belgian Foxes  (different marks) were produced in series of 195 plus what was produced in UK... Seems to be definitely more than 192, however maybe it is referring to given mark (variant)?

We will see.

Regards

J-W

Since the hints don't point to anything specific, my bet is on a Curtiss SBC-4 Helldiver. I don't know if the different versions come into play, but this one at least meets all the conditions.

D0.1 More difficult to guess than the Battle (less known!) - Certainly less known, than Fairey Battle

D0.2 Was the « last one ... » - The last military biplane ordered by the US Navy

D1.1 Was involved in a major conflict - Yep, Marines used them for anti-submarine patrols on Samoa in 1942

D1.2 Built at less than 192 units before June 1940 - Before June 1940 only 174 units of SBC-4 variant were built

D1.3 Wingspan : more than 8,50 m - TBH it's hard to find an aircraft with a wingspan of less than 8,50 m :D

From my point of view, some kind of connection with France is also important. The more than 40 years since the release of the last two kits - Heller and Matchbox - may also be a clue.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My one and only guess Blackburn Skua. Wiki shows exactly 192 produced. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Skua

The Skua has been kitted by Special Hobby in 1/72 and 1/48 and has no French/Belgian/Romanian connection. 

I have more belief in Piotrs Curtiss SBC-4 Helldiver suggestion - with its French connection.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

All it means is that the type in question had less than 192 units built before June 1940 - it could also mean that a total of 5 were built by January 1920... As we've learned from their last game, be careful about being too literal!

Actually the opposite. You have to take every sentence literally.  "Built at less than 192 units before June 1940" - by May 30, 1940, between 0 and 191 units have been built. The production either a) might have finished by then, or b) hasn't started yet, or c) <192 were produced before the date, and some unspecified number later.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

TBH it's hard to find an aircraft with a wingspan of less than 8,50 m :D

A Caudron C. 690 for instance... :) 

Regards

J-W

Game over for France and Rest of the World already but here are next clues.

D2.1 Kit never released in injected, in any scale  (to our knowledge, according to Scalemates)

D2.2 Piloted by at least one Pole

D2.3 Biplane Fighter

This fits to Blériot-SPAD S.510, last French biplane fighter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

This fits to Blériot-SPAD S.510, last French biplane fighter.

It is also very nice choice! I hope Fairey Fox will be next...  It could be interesting, that on 9th May 2020 I wrote to Mr Gilles Fontaine among some other types of my not very long list of my wishes and dreams on models to-be-released in 1/72 I proposed Spad 510 and his answer was "Maybe" ...

Cheers

J-W

35 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

The guy who had a tantrum about the Battle might tell you that a 1/72 model of the Bleriot-SPAD 510 is available. You do have to download and print it yourself though.
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/aircraft/historic/bleriot-spad-s-510

"Kit never released in injected"

19 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

The Blériot-SPAD S.510 is quite a good-looking aircraft! If that's not the correct answer, it should be!

I'll second that. It's one fine looking aeroplane.

3 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

"Kit never released in injected"

Ahh but the guy will tell you 3D resin is injected through a nozzle.🤣

Certainly does look an attractive subject, especially in WW2 guise. Good item for those that build "aircraft that were in WW2 but should not have been"!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Did not Hit-Kit release a very rough injected molded Bleriot  510?

Not quite so. Hit-Kit released Spad 61 and Spad 81, while the original designation of Spad 510 prototypes was Spad 91.

Cheers

Michael

There is no direct answer, but hints are explained:

D0.1 More difficult to guess than the Battle (less known!) - Well - not sure ... that was FAST

D0.2 Was the « last one ... » - Last biplane fighter in armée de l'Air

D1.1 Was involved in a major conflict - WWII, GARC II/561 Le Havre and DIAP, Lyon

D1.2 Built at less than 192 units before June 1940 - Serie of 60 aircraft

D1.3 Wingspan : more than 8,50 m - 8,84 ...

D2.1 Kit never released in injected, in any scale (to our knowledge, according to Scalemates)

D2.2 Piloted by at least one Pole - DIAP Lyon-Corbas

D2.3 Biplane Fighter - as written above ....

So... Blériot-SPAD S.510.

I won the competition and surprisingly, had the first correct answer.  

The 'last SPAD' was the subject of some great articles in the French 'Avions' mag a few years back and I always thought it was a natural for Azur to do....

• Like 5