Why the long... nose? - Swiss Vampire/Venom

wellsprop

It was to house some additional avionics equipment - the Venom fuselage was fairly tight on space. Not sure precisely what, shall check further.  Clearly not vital for flight, since some ex-Swiss machines  have had earlier style noses re-fitted I think.  Though modern miniaturisation might explain that.

Did you consult https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Venom , which states "In the early 1970s Swiss Venoms were equipped with a new extended nose to add space for the addition of a ultra high frequency (UHF) radio, an Identification friend or foe (IFF) transponder and a SAAB BT-9K ballistic computer for its ground attack ordnance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

In a similar vein, does anyone know why the Canadian Vampires got a clear window in the upper nose?

Seems a very unique mod.

Hello James & Co.,

Similar clear window was (at least some) on Finnish Vampires. One of the Vampire pilots told me that an ADF antenna was housed behind the window. Whether it's true or not, I can't tell.

Cheers,

Antti

6 hours ago, Irish 251 said:

Did you consult https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Venom , which states "In the early 1970s Swiss Venoms were equipped with a new extended nose to add space for the addition of a ultra high frequency (UHF) radio, an Identification friend or foe (IFF) transponder and a SAAB BT-9K ballistic computer for its ground attack ordnance.

I would never take Wiki as Gospel.   Just sayin'.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello James & Co.,

Similar clear window was (at least some) on Finnish Vampires. One of the Vampire pilots told me that an ADF antenna was housed behind the window. Whether it's true or not, I can't tell.

Cheers,

Antti

That would make sense, perspex has better dielectric properties than either metal or wood (ply sandwich).

On 12/13/2021 at 10:33 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I would never take Wiki as Gospel.   

If you look at the Wiki page and the reference given in relation to this, you will find a link to a German-language Swiss site in which the information is stated. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Wiki is right on this. 

See also the Matterhorn Circle website:

“From the early 1970s it was decided, that all Swiss military aircraft had to be equipped with an IFF transponder. The Venom's cramped avionics nose bay had no space for any additional equipment, which meant that a new styled pointed nose was designed, which provided the required space. This nose was unique to Swiss Venoms and was retro fitted on the remaining Vampire single seaters.”

http://www.mc-one.ch/Documents/right stuff/dokuments/venom/venom1.htm