Looking for an early WWII german tank

Tanked

As per the title, I'm looking for a early German WWII tank, 1/35 scale.

I was looking at the Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. F/G by Tamiya, but the kits from 1971.

Is it a good kit, or are they better updated models out there?

There are better toolings of the Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. F (most recently Academy), which as a historical vehicle, was made available in March of 1941. 

Forget the G version that Tamiya has labelled on the box, as this is not what the plastic represents inside.  Tamiya did revisit the Panzer II subject in 2008 with completely new tooling, and is considered much better.  These are even earlier versions, representing the A,B, and C type as can be seen in the link kindly provided by Ade H.

If you want to stay with early light tanks, then there is Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf.A or B.   Takom recently came out with these as individual and dual boxing. The Ausf.A is available with interior by Hobby Boss (original molds are Tristar).  Dragon also made these, but are a rare find and tend to be pricey.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

The Luchs variant of the Panzer II only began production in September of 1943.  Though Border Models could very well release the earlier lighter type, it won't be a quick 'changed parts ' boxing as the designs are entirely different.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

The old Tamiya kit is still very buildable and an absolute bargain. Also consider the Hobby Boss Pz. 38(t). They do an Ausf B as used in Poland and France which is a modern tooling and if you get the one without the interior it's still cheap. 

Pz. 38(t) Ausf B

There are various kits of early Pz IIIs and IVs out there too that cover the first year of the war if it doesn't have to be a Pz. II.

Andy

Who doesn't like typing Pz.Kpfw more than once in a post :D  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanked said:

As per the title, I'm looking for a early German WWII tank, 1/35 scale.

I was looking at the Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. F/G by Tamiya, but the kits from 1971.

Is it a good kit, or are they better updated models out there?

As a straight out of the box built, the Tamiya offering is still a good choice if you are happy to accept its simple/basic level of details. Some basic scratch building and/or AM sets will add a lot to the Tamiya model. Sure, there are better, newer tooled versions of the Ausf. F out there, but they come with a much higher price tag and even they still have their faults.

I currently have the Tamiya model on my desk. Photo of the slightly reworked turret and rear plate (still a work in progress):

spacer.png

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will go for the old Tamiya model.

A family member was looking to get me a present for Christmas, so I was going to buy something else and split the difference, but with the price of that Tamiya model, I don't need to do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanked said:

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I will go for the old Tamiya model.

A family member was looking to get me a present for Christmas, so I was going to buy something else and split the difference, but with the price of that Tamiya model, I don't need to do that.

A good choice in my opinion. If you are looking to spend a few of your own dollars on it, Eduard set 35350 is for the Tamiya kit and adds a lot to the basic details. A worthwhile purchase if you want to improve the kit without spending the GDP of a small nation in AM sets.

The Pz.Kpfw 38(t) has only had one mention.  This was a very important type in the French and Polish campaigns.  Rommel's 7th Panzer Division was extensively, if not entirely, equipped with Czech tanks in the period.

Tamiya have recently released a nice one but there are older kits from Dragon, Hobbyboss (ex Tristar) and Trumpeter that are worth a look.  Other old brands like Italeri and the various East European ones are best avoided by current standards.  For France you probably want the Hobbyboss/Tristar Ausf B version.  The others are later Ausfuhrung.

From Scalemates, again: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35369-pzkpfw-38-t-ausf-e-f--1239699  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hobbyboss-80138-pzkpfw-pzbfwg-38-t-ausf-b--961931

The old Tamiya kit is terrible by today’s standards.  I loved it as a kid in the mid-1970s, but even rebuilding it anew in the late 90s before there were many other options like there are today, it was not good.  

The old Tristar kits can be found cheaply and the HobbyBoss reboxes are among the least expensive kits in their line.  The old Tristar 38(t) or Panzer I Ausf. As are excellent kits.

I just finished up a Tristar Pz IA-here’s a near-complete shot:

51740229913_3cd9600ddd_b.jpg

Bronco’s 35(t) is the best version of that model in kit form (CMKs kit is not great, although it is fairly accurate and Bronco’s is superior to the Academy 35(t).

35(t)

I love the early-war stuff.  Lots of great options out there.

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 1