Custom Sci-Fi Weapons 1:1

Hi all, something a little different today, which I hope falls within the scope of this channel, hah.

As something of an aspiring writer, I've spent many a year building up lore for a sci-fi universe, to include a lot of custom weapon and vehicle designs where I attempt to blend practicality with something aesthetically pleasing and appropriate for the setting. While I have artwork, I also made a snap decision to try something I'd never attempted before: a full size prop.

I only have access to basic prop making materials and tools: styrene sheets and pieces; the insulation foam I use for diorama bases; some Green Stuff putty; and the usual no.11 blade, ruler, craft saw etc. No 3D printing or vacforming or anything like that :)

So I guess, here are the results of the two projects (I only have these two pictures of them to hand)

k_4r_c_by_moab23_deoxv5t-fullview.jpg?to

k_45pr_k___prop_by_moab23_dep7v60-fullvi

The pistol was the first to be built, and when that turned out better than expected, I jumped a bit further and went with the carbine. The pistol has a movable selector switch (mirrored both sides), and the underbarrel module can be removed.

The carbine has a simple charging handle that can be pulled back and will (mostly) snap forward again, courtesy of some tubing, a plunger and a spring. Selectors move, trigger moves thanks to another spring. Sights can flip up and be removed through the rail, along with the grip and laser module. Magazine can be removed. Made up the little press studs with some old screw cup washers I found in the garage to finish it off. Overall, pretty happy with how they both turned out :)

Well, that's that. Thanks for looking ^-^

Gaz

• Like 12

‘The pistol turned out better than expected’

as I have often said on these pages scratchbuilding is generally speaking not as difficult as many folks think. The main thing is to have a crack and don’t expect perfection. People who have a go at this stuff almost always surprise themselves.

Nice gear by the way! 👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Gaz, nice work. They both look the part to me.

18 hours ago, John_W said:

Very nice. Has a Halo look to them.

6 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

‘The pistol turned out better than expected’

as I have often said on these pages scratchbuilding is generally speaking not as difficult as many folks think. The main thing is to have a crack and don’t expect perfection. People who have a go at this stuff almost always surprise themselves.

Nice gear by the way! 👍

Thank you, Pete, John, Steve ^-^

Gaz

• Like 1